Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2007 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dear. Since no one has stepped in yet, this is for you rocketgirlot:

In this forum we ask that people provide proof of allegations before accusing someone, especially when accusing someone of a crime such as stealing. Regardless, we don't just let those things fly without evidence.

Please provide some evidence of cheating and stealing, if you have that. If not, I'd suggest maybe editing your post.

In addition (and this goes for the original poster, as well), I'd be interested in hearing how you know Mr. Thrower. Where do you know him from? How well did you know him? Did you train with him? What did you train? How long did you train with him? How long did you know him? Do you have written documentation of a specific loan you were involved in that was never repaid? Do you have any copies of liens in connection with that loan?

I think more information is needed by everyone involved before this goes much further.

Thanks.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2007 4:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TaeKwonDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yes, i knew him well - this is for doninha

I knew the man of which you speak for many years. i am one of the original founders of UKISD and was head of the TKD program there. I can tell you that the 4th degree he had in Chung Do Kwan was not legit at all. I've trained in the ITF system of TKD for over 22 years (with legit instructors who have to get certified just as I have) and attained a 4th degree black belt. I've done papers on the nine original schools of TKD as well as its history and when asked he could not perform any of the forms from the chung do kwan system outside of the few that were taught at jeff smith karate (which were VERY few indeed as i was appalled to learn when i worked there back in 1992-93)

As far as his Tai chi/Kung fu I attended the school (many years later) and found where he got his techniques from.. Didn't know it at the time but recognized it when going thru some old video tapes of our demonstrations. I would venture to say he stayed there about 6 months based on his execution and what i gained as a result of training in that magnificient art.

What I can attest to is that he was a student at Jeff Smith Karate for several years. I dont know that he ever got to a full 1st degree blk belt but i do remember him getting his Novice Black (a black belt with a white stripe) but as i don't hold much regard for jeff smith at all (i watched him promote himself from 5th to 7th degree as "honorary degrees" - i just recently read that he is NOW a 9th degree which is a complete and utter joke!) I would not put it past JS to give oscar a belt as long as he wore the JSK gear at the tournaments. I know that Oscar was a competitor in the NASKA circuit for years so he knew the point fighting game quite well. He and I did a lot of point fight training and I did thank him for all his help because as we all know, once you get up there a ways in the ranks the competion does get somewhat political. I also saw him compete in both hard and soft style forms but never really getting placed for them (unless the division was really small) most of his trophies were from point fighting.

Back when we were first opening the school Oscar promoted all of us to our "next dan" and gave us all certificates - at the time I had been trying to pass my 3rd degree exam with Alan Coutremanche in Sterling, VA and it took me three tries to do it. I didnt hold much in Oscar's promotion other than him tryinjg to make me feel better. But all of the other instructors from UKISD rushed right out and bought new black belts to show off their rank. He has charisma, that much i do know and had a way of "wowing" people but not really doing anything. He had a bag of tricks that he pulled from and did quite a bit of reading but outside of that I think he was just a gifted athlete who knew enough about martial arts to be a jack of all trades if you will.
    If/when he did receive formal training I would venture to say that it never lasted very long. Please feel free to email me if you have specific questions - I'd be happy to answer them either thru here or email jeepwarrior05@yahoo.com
    Last edited by jeep4jt; 9/25/2008 2:22am at . Reason: updated information

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 3:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oscar Thrower

Yes I have trained with Oscar for a couple of years. I have been looking for hin for the last year or so...He simply disappeared. Does anyone know where he went?

Dennis

Posted On:
    12/09/2007 4:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Where is he?

Quote Originally Posted by mulder0199
    I do know where oscar thrower is and he is still teaching and he has many students what is wrong with his teaching he seems to have all the appr. documentation
    I am a former student and consider myself a personal friend of Oscar. I lost touch with him over the last few years and would like to look him up.

There have been a lot of things said about Oscar but my experince has been that the prove was in the pudding and I would put his training up against any other instructor I have met.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 8:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of low-post new members chiming in on this thread...

Anyone like to do a check on their IPs? We might be in the middle of a sock-puppet drama here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 8:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never heard of this man before but if he is indeed in Pittsburgh then he's in my nieghborhood. If anyone has anymore info I'll gladly look him up. I've looked at most of the MA programs in the area and know many of the local schools and I don't recall that name ever coming up. But, like WingChunDO said, more info on why that needs to be done would be appropriate.

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 8:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, a very curious amount of low posters. I'm waiting for Mecho to start defending Thrower.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2007 1:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: No style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training in Drunken Monkey Kung Fu
    Wait... What ??????

If that is a actual style i wanna find him just to be able to say i study DRUNKEN MONKEY KUNGFU !

Posted On:
    9/01/2008 10:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oscar "flykick" Thrower

I'm so glad someone has started this thread.
    I knew Oscar at a McDojo called "World Champion Jeff Smith's Karate", from 1991-1993. From the day we met, Oscar had stories about this and that martial art that he was a master in.
    At the time, he was a lower-ranked "Kraty" student. He went through various phases of motivation and often disappeared for months at a time (and I have hearsay evidence that he was certainly NOT taking time off to travel to the Shaolin Temple ). One of my instructors who had known him for much longer filled me in early on his BS. According to what I was told, Oscar began his martial arts career at said McDojo - and had no previous experience.

Oscar is about as full of sh#t as any human being I've ever met.

That being said, he was fun to spar with, because he is definitely a naturally gifted point player.

As far as his time at United Karate goes, I once visited his training there years later, and he had his students crawling around on the floor dodging make-believe bullets!!

BTW- In a moment of candor, he once admitted that his kung fu experience consisted in watching Bruce Lee movies. He also liked to draw comic book figures in his spare time - I think he is kind of caught up in that fantasy world.
    Last edited by Bigbad3; 10/30/2008 3:18am at . Reason: Spelling and formatting
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast