Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 1:09pm

Style: Capoeira, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Has anyone ever trained with Oscar Thrower?

Has anyone here had experience with an instructor in Virginia named Oscar Thrower? He taught for some time at the United Karate Institute of Self-Defense (now defunct), and has been known to teach at various other places in the area. I've had plenty of experience with him in the past, but I'd like to know if he rings a bell with anyone here...

doninha

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    doninha,

Since you are a newb and after reading your introductory thread, I'm going to leave this post here for now. But please note the stated intention of this sub-forum:

The official forum for Bullshido. Serious discussion on McDojos, questionable Martial Artists, and relevant issues only. Help us fight fraud in the Martial Arts by contributing well-thought-out threads and ideas on the subject.

I trust your next post in this thread will not be adding on to your "shout out" and actually have some substance behind what I think you have in mind. Otherwise, my next action will be to trollshido this thread.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 4:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then allow me to elaborate. Oscar Thrower taught at the aforementioned school for many years, claiming to be a black belt in multiple styles, including Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Judo, Sambo, Jujitsu, Kung Fu, Tai Chi and yes this list would go on if I could remember half the bullshit he would spout. He had many "disciples" that followed him around even after UKISD had gone out of business. He taught his classes from a Gold's Gym afterwards, where he would often not show up to teach his class for *weeks* at a time. That school has since dissolved as well, but I keep hearing rumors that he is still teaching in the area. I want to know if anyone on this board has had contact with him, or has even heard of him. He isn't nearly as notible as Ashida Kim or Coda Scott, but his BS is on par. I can only find two traces of him online anymore...

http://www.mastersnest.com/world_registry.htm
    http://www.roman-pictures.com/Photos/Oscar181.jpg

He's definitely past his prime, but if he's still out there teaching, I'd like to expose him before he takes advantage of any more naive students.

Doninha

Posted On:
    5/10/2007 8:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doninha
    Has anyone here had experience with an instructor in Virginia named Oscar Thrower? He taught for some time at the United Karate Institute of Self-Defense (now defunct), and has been known to teach at various other places in the area. I've had plenty of experience with him in the past, but I'd like to know if he rings a bell with anyone here...

doninha
    donna i know him

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 6:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do know where oscar thrower is and he is still teaching and he has many students what is wrong with his teaching he seems to have all the appr. documentation

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/15/2007 9:09pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mulder0199
    I do know where oscar thrower is and he is still teaching and he has many students what is wrong with his teaching he seems to have all the appr. documentation
    What's your relationship or affiliatio nwith Oscar Thrower, if any? As a student, acquaintance, training partner? And what type of proper documentation are you referring to?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 8:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    What's your relationship or affiliatio nwith Oscar Thrower, if any? As a student, acquaintance, training partner? And what type of proper documentation are you referring to?
    I have been training with oscar for a while learning from him as well as teaching him is there something that i may need to know about him????

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 8:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if someone could give me some info on oscar thrower that would be good like i said i am training with him as well as training him please tell me anything i might need to know

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is what I know of him from firsthand experience:

I joined the school at which he was the head instructor, United Karate Institute of Self Defense, Inc., in 1997. At the time, I was interested in learning Aikido, which he immediately told me he was black belt in. That's all I needed. After showing me some various techniques, I was sold. Of course, I had to join the regular program as well, which consisted of a blend of Tae Kwon Do and Kenpo. After progressing quickly through the ranks, I went through various phases of training with him which consisted of the following:

Training in Drunken Monkey Kung Fu (each week he would show me a new piece of a form which was never the same)
    Training in Aikido and Aiki-jujitsu
    Tai Chi
    Sambo
    Kickboxing
    And of course... Capoeira

I only really trust my knowledge of Capoeira, as that is now my specialty. After starting to train Capoeira with Oscar, I began seriously questioning what he was teaching me. He didn't know the names of the movements, his ginga (basic footwork) was worse than a first year student (which I know all about now), he didn't have any knowledge of the music or history. He also proceeded to tell me that the stripes on the pants of some capoeiristas on a DVD were their rank. In Capoeira, ropes are worn around the waist to signify rank. He didn't even know that much.

I started to find different sources to learn capoeira while I was still training at UKISD, and I was appalled at the lies that I found out about. He told me he trained Capoeira in Brasil for 2 years with his cousin who is a master. He told me that he spent a few years at the Shaolin Temple learning Kung Fu when he was a kid while his Daddy was in the military. I can't even remember half of the things he said.

A friend of mine who was much closer to him has even more appalling stories concerning his personal life, but that would be hearsay.I am DEFINITELY inclined to believe my friend about everything he says.

That said, I'm sure some of his claims are valid. He was a decent TKD fighter, a good grappler and I did see some pictures and clips of some pretty hard sparring apart from what he did with us. I'm more inclined to believe that he has a valid rank in TKD or Sambo, but that is probably it.

The sheer scope of his lies is ming boggling though. I know that his Tai Chi was taken from a White Crane Kung Fu book that he had in the school office. And don't get me started in his Bullshido techniques...

If you are training with him, I would RELENTLESSLY check out his certifications. I was too young to care about certifications at the time... Perhaps you could bring some of his claims here so we can help research them. I'd personally like to know what (if anything) he told me was true. And dammit, don't believe a single thing he says at face value.

He is simply the least trustworthy person I've ever met in my entire life. And I work with lawyers...

Doninha

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2007 10:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, I forgot the mention that he claimed a black belt in more arts than I care to remember.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast