Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 3:31pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    Looks like a basic TKD school that has the added advantage of full contact sparring once a week. I have a problem with pretty much any school that will award a BB in only three years but that's me.
    Am I the only one that noticed that their Thursday 7:30-8:30 Self-Defense Class is taught by Mr. Raper ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 4:09pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    XD, I would kill myself.

And, about the BBs:
    A fourth degree (just a junior in highschool, trained since he was five) told me himself that he knew he by no rights was a "master" and he earned his belts too quickly, but the art is good and it actually teaches. (I think he deserves to be a freaking master, he is really, really good... like, professionally good)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 7:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As noted above, they are teaching ITF forms. The ITF do not do full-contact sparring, that would be WTF. But those forms were not authorized or developed by the Chung Do Kwan.

Miles

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2007 9:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a review of the info on the website I do not see this school as a Bullshido OR a McDojo.

Maybe this is a better question for the Korean MA sub-forum but does it really matter whether the form set being taught is WTF, ITF, ATA, or some mixture of all of the above?

Otherwise, this school seems to be one of the better ones out there in the ATA dominated American market.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2007 9:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Maybe this is a better question for the Korean MA sub-forum but does it really matter whether the form set being taught is WTF, ITF, ATA, or some mixture of all of the above?

The simple answer to this is that the series of forms gives one an idea whether they do Olympic style sparring (i.e. continuous full-contact, i.e. WTF) or not (point-sparring, continuous point, semi-contact, i.e. ITF et al).

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    3/22/2007 9:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those would be ITF forms.

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 3:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive seen what they do. Its ****. None of it works and the only reason that I went there and spent any money was to do a basic bjj class on monday wensday and thursday nights. But hell, if you want to learn karate do, because they teach a hybrid of teakwon do and karate, then go there. But if you decide to learn something good then check out one of the several legit gyms in the area that are just as cheap.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can we have some proof? further examples?

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 12:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what i remember of my TMA days, what the school does is very basic. I just find it random to mix the two different martial arts. Also at one point the school kicked out the BJJ class because of a "hike" in insurance costs but brought it back shortly after in favor of a different teacher. None of it is too horrible. It is just hard for me to go into a place to see old friends and get that look of death from people because I dont participate. I guess i dont like the place becuase of the amount of time it takes to get a black belt, and the attitude that it spawns. On a whole I would say if you like the TMA gig then this is a good place that is relativly cheap (I belive 50 bucks a month). But its not my thing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12