Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 2:21pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Tom Turpen Bullshido? A strong case. But, is it wrong?

Total Noob here!

I've have been fully enjoying this website and its work to expose frauds. So when I found this website I wanted to get some opinions from those of you with a little more experience at spotting Bullshido.

www.usakungfu.homestead.com

I've looked over the website and can't decide if it is pure Bullshido or just partially Bullshido. The head instructor claims to be a "current closed door disciple" of Master An Tian Rong. I am a student of Master An Tian Rong and I have never met this guy. I do know that he studied under Master An for about 2 months, just long enough to learn some new material and promptly went back to his own school to teach it. Nor were his sessions closed door. I have asked Master An if this guy was a "closed door disciple" and he just laughed and said, "NO!"

Another great quote from this guy was said to another student. "if you're married to an asian girl it helps your credibility when you open your own place." I think proving your highly skilled is more important than where your wife comes from.

In all fairness it appears that they try to do some full contact sparring, hence my confusion. Not to mention their is no direct information regarding his lineage.

Opinions please.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 2:44pm

Style: Kitu ryu jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For lack of a better choice and to honor Da Mo, the founder of Chinese Chan (Zen)

For one, that's wrong. Chan buddhism is not zen.

http://www.usakungfu.homestead.com/000_0373a.JPG

what the hell is that?

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 2:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think there is a such thing as a "closed door disciple"

Your sifu pretty much told you the guy is full of ****. What more do you need to know?

edit: ask him why he sat for this picture:

Last edited by Mr. Mantis; 12/28/2005 2:51pm at .
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 3:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Mantis,
    Good question I will ask him. Master An does not speak English and is probably unaware that this is on that guys website. At the time he probably thought this guy was going to be a long term student and was just being accomodating. I didn't want to call BS on the guy based on my shifu's evalutation of Turpen's Baji skills. I have never discussed Turpen's skills in other systems with my sifu. I do know that despite claiming to teach Baji as one of his main systems Turpen didn't even learn 25% of the Baji system.

And hate2beU you are dead on, they could be twins!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: modern combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thomas Turpen is a complete fraud. In 2002 he sought rank recognition by forming a martial arts organization called shengdiya Martial Arts Association. He duped several reputable martial artists into forming it, long enough to get a sixth degree black sash. He is a very intelligent and cunning person, that has duped kung fu masters and students alike. He claims a "dashi" title (meaning master), but he had the scroll printed for him in China on a visit and it has no organizational backing. He also claims a 4th Degree Black Belt in Tang Soo Do under Jeff Schnapp of New Mexico, but Jeff is one of Tom's best friends, and when he received the 4th degree there was no formal/public test (which sounds fishy to me). We recently exposed his deceit and for all intents and purposes his martial arts training hall is dead. He was also claiming to be a buddhist and taoist priest which we verified with the KTC center in Columbus, Ohio and the Mid-America Buddhist Association (both organizations he claimed ordination with) and he is a complete fraud. The Taoist ordination is self-awarded. He made most of these claims on his myspace (http://www.myspace.com/xiantan), but has changed his story several times since he was exposed. He still claims many of these things on myspace, although his website (www.usakungfu.homestead.com) is dead except for the background.

We recently sat down with Master An and his interpreter and were told that he was a student of Bajiquan for 3 months, he was not a closed door disciple, and found that he lied to Master An about his background, claiming that he was a sifu in choy lay fut kung fu. He had told everyone else that his background was in southern 5-animals. He has ben teaching choy lay fut under the names of Doc Fai Wong and Tat Mau Wong, both who stated he was not certified with them. He did purchase Tat Wong's home study course.

He sometimes claims to teach combatives. His experience with combatives was limited to a little study with me and self-study from videos. It is very apparent to a trained eye that his combatives are limited, but he sucks in those who don't know the difference.

He is a licensed acupuncturist, but is under investigation for prescribing herbs, which is a crime in Ohio.

If anyone needs specific information or contact info to verify these things on your own, e-mail me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 9:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=124993845

This link to his myspace works. Sorry!

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 10:14am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have any correspondence (emails, documents, etc...) that can be scanned and saved to this Thread?

It would go a long way to have hard evidence.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 10:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    xaviertr, might I suggest starting a thread in the Bullshido Investigations forum and laying out your interest in this person and the evidence that you've gathered?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 10:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To Xavier,

Wow, it sounds like you've been doing a little investigation of your own. Here I thought I was going to have to come back on this thread and yell at someone for thread necromany, I am happy that that is not the case. I was just in Columbus last Saturday and did a training session with Master An, I know a few months ago that Tom contacted him asking to learn more Baji in exchange for acupunture treatments, Master An told him, "No", you need to pay for lessons. Turpen also contacted one of Master An's senior students making the same request, and got the same answer.

Since my first post I have met Mr. Turpen on one occassion and found him to be very personable and friendly, this no doubt helps him attract students and gain the trust and favor of other instructors, but I have always questioned his skill level.

I wonder if we have ever met xaviertr? If you are interested I will let you know next time I am in Columbus for a session with Master An.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 9:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

More Definitive Evidence

I have created a website that lays out the major lies he has told, gives contact information to verify his lies, and contact information to speak directly with Tom Turpen. When faced with questions about his background, he gets bent out of shape quickly. He used to be cool about his background, but when evidence about his lying surfaced, that changed. If this would be more appropriate under another heading, the administrators can move it, just please leave a note so I can find it!

The website address is- http://www.geocities.com/warriorspiritma/Turpen.html

Thanks for checking this out.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast