• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 11:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Glenn Waters: knifesmith, possible Bullshidoka of Guren Ryu JuJutsu?

Well I was looking at a custom knife maker's web site (I'm into that kind of stuff) and this is what I saw, (look to the left and click):

http://www.glennwaters.com/Glenn-Waters-Knives-menu.htm

After clicking on the JJ link, click on the "photos" link and you will find this little gem:

http://www.glennwaters.com/jujutsuphotos.htm

Using the power of "Ki" to explode the bottom out of a wine bottle.
    Please note: THIS IS NOT A TRICK.
    However many people use tricks to break the bottle by heating the bottom of the bottle and then cooling it quickly with ice. This way requires no Ki or skill of any kind to break the bottle. There are also some other tricks that use a rubber valve in the top of the bottle and pump the bottle with air. Then when they hit the nicely cushioned rubber valve it doesn't hurt their hand and the high pressure in the bottle only requires a small amount of force to break it. This is also similar to some people and even children who break wooden boards which have been heat treated in an oven and are so brittle that they sometimes break if accidently dropped. What is the point?
    I think these kind of tricks are bad for the image of real martial arts but good for attracting new students to a club. However it could give the people that use these tricks a false sense of the true meaning of Ki.
    Ki, if you don't believe you will never achieve.
    (and finely, my new motto)

Ki, if you don't believe you will never achieve.

I guess I'm glad that he is worried that people are misrepresenting ki

-well, I better go, i should have gone to bed like 12 hours ago.
    Last edited by johnny3443; 6/03/2007 11:36am at . Reason: i'm tiered and on drugs

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2007 11:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny3443
    Well I was looking at a custom knife maker's web site (I'm into that kind of stuff) and this is what I saw, (look to the left and click):

http://www.glennwaters.com/Glenn-Waters-Knives-menu.htm

After clicking on the JJ link, click on the "photos" link and you will find this little gem:

http://www.glennwaters.com/jujutsuphotos.htm

(and finely, my new motto)

I guess I'm glad that he is worried that people are misrepresenting ki

-well, I better go, i should have gone to bed like 12 hours ago.
    LMAO - I know that bottle trick. You don't have to heat it / cool it or anything else. Just put in the right amount of water in and then hit the top square and the pressure from the blow will push the water out the bottom "explodeing" the bottle.

either that or my Ki is really strong :blob8:

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 7:21am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he says it's not a trick, that's good enough for me. He should apply for the JREF million-dollar prize.

Since his stunt is accomplished by ki, which is produced by living things, it would be easy to prove. As long as the JREF representative can devise a machine that can hit the top of the bottle the same way he does, with similar force and a soft surface that seals the opening of the bottle when it hits, they can just use that to smack the bottle. Since the machine can't possibly be using ki, the bottle won't break . . . . right?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 7:36am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any C&C magician can tell you how that trick works. Equating such a simplistic bit of physics trickery with Ki is insulting to all of the levitating, fire ball throwing, bulletproof Ki Masters out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 9:03am

Style: Karate / Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually saw this trick done about a decade and a half ago by one of my old instructors.

All he did was fill the bottle up to about 70% full of regular tap water, held the neck in one hand, and struck the top of the bottle with an open palm to demonstrate how force of a hit will impact a human body (since we're approximately 70% water). Sure enough the bottom blew out of the bottle. The instructor never claimed any ki, chi, or bullshit; just finished the demonstration with something like "That's what you should always try to do when you hit"

Basically he did what ex_jungyae said. No ki involved.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 9:55am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do this at parties all the time. I claim demonic possession and not ki.

Posted On:
    6/04/2007 2:03pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the people in the online "knife community" seem to be infected with this type of mentality.