You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 7:51am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    remember guys that ballistic is not the same as dynamic. ballistic is generally not a good way to stretch.

a good warmup and some dynamic stretching (leg swings, shoulder rotations etc) is probably enough for the start of a class.

to the op- going straight from standing in line to sparring drills? no warmup? your coach got some bad advice
    ****, I totally meant dynamic in my earlier post, not ballistic. I'm an idiot. Thanks Alex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 7:52am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Try telling ballet dancers not to stretch before a perfomance and they'll tell you that your retarded.
    GOOD ADVICE I'LL REMEMBER IT NEXT TIME I'M POSTING ON THE BALLET FORUM HARUMPH
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 8:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
    GOOD ADVICE I'LL REMEMBER IT NEXT TIME I'M POSTING ON THE BALLET FORUM HARUMPH
    See you there, what do you post under?

Oddly enough my user name there is Professor. Fagbot Q. MacDougal,

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 10:49am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree you should never just cold stretch. Stretching should be done as part of a warmup routine and not take up large amounts of classtime.

As a general rule you need to determine what you are trying to accomplish. This will determine which way you should stretch. Another big point that should be made when you stretch is tha you should breath.

Everyday workout
    Stretching during this time should be done after a 10-15 minute warmup routine. Passive stretching should used to stretch the muscle to its limits and hold for 20-30 secs. Use this to slowly increase range of motion. You should understand your limits better than anyone else. Don't cheat yourself either push to exceed the previous weeks limits. Just don't get to the point that its REALLY painful.

After the workout routine then you should use cool down passive stretches. During the course of the workout/class your muscles develop tiny tears in them and if you stretch they will heal in an elongated position rather than in a compacted position. Another good method to incorporate at the end is isometeric stretching. This is where you stretch to max range then push back against the stretch. This should be done at the end of a workout from everthing I have read.

Dynamic stretching
    This should be used when you as an individual would like to see some gains in flexibility. Develop a routine during your offdays to increase your range of motion as well as your strength for the new range you are developing. Its one thing to be flexible/supple and another thing to have strength at the end of your range of motion.

Dynamic can also be used as part of a class when the instructor feels you need to be pushed to a little more. This should be done after a proper warmup though.

Ballistic Stretching
    This is when you force you body to exceed max ranges. Everything I have read about this is not good. Bouncing while stretching and other sharp movements are frowned apon by many trainers. While thier is some rehab measures that incorporate this it is not recommended for everyday.

Competition
    On the day of competition you should minimize extra activities. You should never get a massage and you should never over stretch. A simple warm up and some light stretching will suffice as long as you have been working out regularly and stretching regularly. Much like your technical skills your range of motion and flexiblility should be at its peak when going into a match or matches.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 10:58am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dynamic Stretching can also be done in the morning to increase flexibility. You won't be able to reach your maximum stretch straight away as your legs are quite stiff in the morning but you should be able to work up to it
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to share my views on the subject with more details, but I'm getting hammered at work right now. So I'll be brief.

Please take a look at this related post on stretching : http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...12&postcount=7

Also take a look at this post I made on a related thread back in October and follow the links in them: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...32#post1250832

Last but not least, anyone, and I mean anyone who has concerns in flexibility should take a look at the Yoga/Pilates DVDs done by Karen Voight and the Ashtanga Yoga DVDs by David Swenson

1. Karen Voight - Yoga & Sculpting (2002) - currently for $9.99 (my choice of preference.)

2. Karen Voight - YogaSculpt (1999) - currently for $9.99

3. YOGA SHORT FORMS The Practice Ashtanga Yoga with David Swenson - currently for $24.95

Those are my three picks, from which #1 is the one I'd recommend the most.

I'll be back. I have IT monkeys to kill at work...
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 12:50pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    remember guys that ballistic is not the same as dynamic. ballistic is generally not a good way to stretch.

a good warmup and some dynamic stretching (leg swings, shoulder rotations etc) is probably enough for the start of a class.

to the op- going straight from standing in line to sparring drills? no warmup? your coach got some bad advice
    Yeah, there's probably a difference between MT drills and Karate drills. Ours are fairly light.
    On the whole I felt fairly tight for most of the lesson and didnt feel any benefit. I like stretching at the start of every class as flexibility is one of the main benefits of Karate for me.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Melon, can you describe how exactly do you stretch in your classes? What's your typical warmup, stretches and cool downs?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 4:36pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
    Explain.
    Because I am lazy and couldn't be bothered looking things up I'll just tell you the one that stuck in my mind the most. It was a study on a group of military recruits which divided them into stretch/non stretch and then did physical activity. It found no difference in injury levels. However, if you looked at most of the injuries that they sustained, they were not the kind of injuries that you would expect to be helped by stretching. Things like sprained ankles on pack marches.

The other thing I'd say about stretching gets back to my point about appropriate. The kind of thing you were talking about, er, Dr. Fagbot, with hardcore static stretching, should be approached like a weights session. That is, you need to allow recovery time for a day or so afterwards because the point of the session is to break down the collagen matrix. This type of stretching should never be done before exercise obviously.

A more appropriate pre exercise stretch and a far more effective one in the short term is the hold/relax. That is take a movement to its comfortable limit, back off a fraction and then push against resistance in the opposite direction for about 8 seconds. What happens is called post contraction or post isometric relaxation. The muscle has a natural tendency to relax after contracting so you can take it a bit further without having to push hard through resistance.

And finally, a stretching program often needs to accompany core strengthening. If you've got really tight hip flexors, hamstrings, hip rotators for instance, it often means you've got weak abdominals and gluteals. Ditto for tight pecs/internal shoulder rotators and weak middle and lower trapezius stabilizers. If you fix one without fixing the other, you could be increasing your chances of injury.

El Macho may well have posted some of this stuff before so apologies if this is old material.

And Alex has the correct about ballistic vs. dynamic.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 5:02pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DROM (dynamic range of motion) befor your workouts and ballistic after. Warming up is essential and I'll argue it er.... discuss it with anyone who see's otherwise. DROM exercises can be worked into your warm up as well.

DROM exercises will increas blood flow to muscle, increase fexibility by in effect wakeing the entire muscle up, not decrease muscle response/speed/agility and prevents injury. About 90% of injuries that are attributed to "not stretching befor" are from not warming up. And face it anybody too lazy to stretch befor physical activity is damned sure not likely to warm up either.

Ballistic stretching is actually semi traumatic to the muscle and will cause it to tighten up agterwards. Not exactly a desirable thing when going into a physical activity. But ballistic movements are great for a cool down/after activity stretch. These stretches are what add to your flexability and are best done when a muscle is warmed up and compliant.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast