Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 6:18am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do about 45mins of Yoga before my Muay Thai class. Is this a bad idea?
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 6:33am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    I do about 45mins of Yoga before my Muay Thai class. Is this a bad idea?
    Fucking read the rest of the thread and decide for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 6:34am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes it is. 45 minutes of stretching will sap your strength and energy.

To the OP, Dynamic stretching is best to warm up for kicking. Static stretching should be performed after your work out as a warm down.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 6:35am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't disagree that there is very little evidence to support stretching for injury prevention. However, the body of evidence is actually quite small and many of the studies were pretty poor so doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't prevent injury. In fact, probably the majority opinion at the moment is that appropriate stretching is an overall injury preventative but that it doesn't really matter if you do it immediately before an activity or at another time.

What is fairly well established is that there is no link between athletic performance and static stretching ability, but there is a link between performance and active stretching ability. ie. if you can do the splits it don't necessarily mean **** unless you can move through a good range of movement dynamically.

Getting back to the OP, the point he was probably trying to make is that you should warm up lightly first, then stretch (if you are going to stretch before class at all). Trying to stretch when you're stone cold is a bad idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 6:45am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
    Fucking read the rest of the thread and decide for yourself.
    You're a cock, but i like your username...

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 6:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with bornsceptic although I would suggest dynamic stretching after a light warm up I.E. jogging around your dojo, jumping jacks etc to get your blood flowing following by dynamic stretching of the different parts of the body. Tom Kurtz's Stretching Scientifically is very informative for Martial Artists looking for sensible stretching routines.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 6:49am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    However, the body of evidence is actually quite small and many of the studies were pretty poor
    Explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 6:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have issues with my back and need to do a series of excercises prior to class to make it through class.

When I don't my back is in worse shape.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 6:55am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    remember guys that ballistic is not the same as dynamic. ballistic is generally not a good way to stretch.

a good warmup and some dynamic stretching (leg swings, shoulder rotations etc) is probably enough for the start of a class.

to the op- going straight from standing in line to sparring drills? no warmup? your coach got some bad advice

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 7:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another problem with these types of studies is what they don't say.

Who did they study? In shape 20 somethings that excercise regulary?

Out of shape 30 year olds who sit at a desk for 8 hours a day and go to 2 X 1 hour classes a week?

What type of excercise?

The needs for pre stretching in weight lifting or running are quite different than that of martial arts.

Also what do they mean by stretching?

A 30 minute intensive yoga like deep stretching regime or 10 minutes of limbering up.

I agree with Alex the Karate teacher in the OP is full of crap and has taken what he was told out of context.

As is the case with almost everything the answer is moderation. A moderate warm up / stretching regime to get yourself limber is always a good thing.

Try telling ballet dancers not to stretch before a perfomance and they'll tell you that your retarded.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast