Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 2:18pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fights they showed were entertaining. They selected a bunch of KOs and TKOs.

However, the marketing is ridiculous. The team / city thing is a decent gimmick, but they made some laughable claims that IFL fighters are better than the fighters in any other organization and that IFL fights are the best because they're "real." As billy said, it's terrible that they repeatedly used a guy being carried out of the ring on a strecher as a teaser.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 2:22pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They should use the team names from "BASEketball":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASEket...Eketball_Teams

I do agree the "somebody gets carried out in a stretcher" nonsense was ... uh ... nonsense. However, overall I thought it was a good show.

I would rather watch this in HD than pay $40 for the UFC that is broadcast in 480P.

BASEketball Teams
    All of the teams represent stereotypes and include references to their respective areas:

Milwaukee Beers
    Reference to the numerous local beer breweries and the Milwaukee Brewers; the fans wear beer mug "foam heads" and perform "the chug" (similar to the Atlanta Braves "tomahawk chop"). Their mascot is a walking keg of beer (who can use his "tap" to urinate).

Miami Dealers
    The players appear to be Cuban drug dealers. Note the chainsaw wielding man on the back of their jersey reminiscent of Scarface.

New Jersey Informants
    The players are Italian-American stereotypes (one of their failed psych-outs was "Your mother's a terrible cook"); the cheerleaders also perform some Italian hand gestures.

San Francisco Ferries
    The players wear white and pastel pink uniforms, and have the only all-male cheerleader squad. Of course, "Ferries" is meant to be a play on "fairies," an impolite term used to mean "homosexuals".

Roswell Aliens
    Reference to the location where a UFO supposedly crashed and the surrounding conspiracies; the team has an alien mascot and an "Anal Probe Night" promotion.

L.A. Riots
    Reference to the 1992 Los Angeles/Rodney King riots (and possibly Watts riots); the players appear to be angry Latinos.

Dallas Felons
    Huge muscle types who are probably ex-convicts (a reference to the NFL's Dallas Cowboys, a team on which numerous players had legal problems in the mid-1990s).

San Antonio Defenders
    Rednecks who chant slogans like "1,2,3, **** THE MEXICANS!" Their home field includes a giant recreation of the Alamo Mission.

Detroit Lemons
    Reference to the home of American auto makers that supposedly produce inferior and defective vehicles (to which "lemon" is a reference)

When the league began to spin out of control, it was supposedly innundated with expansion teams. During the scene describing the extremely complex playoff system, references were made to teams in Boston, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Oakland, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Denver. No nicknames or mascots were given for these.

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quikfeet, that is completely fucking awesome. The LA Riots? KICKASS!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 5:11pm

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bit with the stretcher was fucking pathetic, especially for something that's supposed to promote MMA as a legitimate sport. That's worse than any of the "There are no rules!" ads the SEG run UFC used to put out.

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 11:18pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The little Blond kid Holecki was great, I mean, he didn't even look fit, and he crushed a bunch of full groin men.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 11:27pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Full "groin" men? I really hope that's a typo.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh come on. you know you're all about the crushing of groin men.

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 1:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some game and scrappy fighters - not great, but plenty hungry. And yeah, the team names are embarrassing

. Some of the highlights were from the IFL fights I saw in Oakland a while back.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 7:16am

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, what the hell is this:

It makes it look like International Fight Larpers. I started thinking that Ashida Kim should have his own team.

I feel like the IFL still doesn't trust its audience and resorts to KO highlights and edited fights a la The Contender.They pulled the same crap with the Pride fights they showed on FSN. I understand that they are fighting for a piece of the pie in the US market by presenting this sport as exciting and dangerous, but they way they present it is over the top and silly. Fox just doesn't seem to get it. People like KOs, but don't treat them like retards.

That said, there is quite a bit of talent in there. I really like Hordescki, Chris Wilson, and Rory Markham. I loved watching these guys fight last season as well as the bits they showed the other night. The IFL should fire their marketing team and redo their approach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 7:26am

Style: Kickboxing, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by T3hJudoChop
    First of all, what the hell is this:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast