Posted On:
    3/13/2007 6:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Moving in angles

I have a problem while sparring:
    my opponent punches me with jab / cross combos, i move backwards and he follows me.
    It usually ends with me hanging in ropes while he uses me as a heavybag.
    I read somewhere on this site in order to avoid this to move backwards in angles.
    What is exactly meant with that, does anyone know a fight/sparring video where it is shown?
    If i move backwards i can use my left lead leg to push me a bit to the right, so i don't get away in a straight line, is that what is meant?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 7:19am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    basically, you move off at about a 45 degree angle away from their power hand. Watch any boxing match ever and they'll circle each other.

I'm a bit surprised your coach hasn't show you this - it's pretty basic.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

software engineer

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 7:22am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    basically, you move off at about a 45 degree angle away from their power hand. Watch any boxing match ever and they'll circle each other.

I'm a bit surprised your coach hasn't show you this - it's pretty basic.
    lol they don't teach retreat in moo tai lol
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 7:29am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As PJ said, it's pretty basic. Your instructor should be telling you this. Heck, even a good sparring partner will tell you not to walk straight backwards. Maybe you should be a little bit more proactive in asking them questions.

Check the following links just in case, and after you watch them, make notes of your questions and ask them to your instructor and sparring partners. Ask your sparring partner for advice during sparring on the stuff you feel you need to improve. That will help you a lot.

http://www.boxing4free.com/angles.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBVF0xyzn7o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KYGFawp14c

-- EDIT --

Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    lol they don't teach retreat in moo tai lol
    Retreat is for pussies!!! Didn't you learn anything from "300"??? :viking:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 8:55am

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reapetedly backing up directly into the ropes is definately a bad game plan

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 9:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for help everyone.
    I guess angling is what my trainer called "move your ass around the heavybag, don't just stand there".
    But the detailed instructions in the video definately help.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by plitschplatsch
    Thanks for help everyone.
    I guess angling is what my trainer called "move your ass around the heavybag, don't just stand there".
    But the detailed instructions in the video definately help.
    That should be an opportunity for you to ask him for clarification. Teaching is an art and science on itself, and not every good/great fighter is a good teacher. Some teachers are proactive and tell you. Others may think they have already explain you the details when in reality the details were lost in the ruccus of a group class.

You have to be proactive in your training; meaning, ask questions. Whenever you are told "do this", do what you think you are being told and ask "like this?" Whenever you are being told "don't do that", correct what you are doing and ask "should I do it like this?" Keep asking questions until you are clear about what you are being asked to do.

Be proactive, and don't just go to class going through the motions and instructions without thinking them through. Make mental notes of what make senses and what does not or you have doubts about it, and seek clarifications.

You pay foh class and gym foh train. Mastah no spoon-feed you, grasshopah. Move ass and ask questions.

Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 2:23pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moving away should not be considered retreat. I make guys pay a lot for coming at me.

I use a lot of unothorodox techniques, but a lot of them are good.

Think of it this way. Instead of moving away, you're rotating. It's all different for me being a left hander, but it'll work for you if you apply the idea.

Man its hard to put into words.

My opponent comes at me, if he's a strong pressure fighter, you can either move side ways and away, or just sideways with a twist. If he throws a jab, I slip under it and move toward his elbow, when this happens my front foot obviously slides forward, when my rear foot follows, instead of following straight, push it behind you as your front foot rotates. This way you dont cross your legs. From here I usually bust a left uppercut right under where there armpit was before they pulled their arm back which is now where their chin is. But I'm southpaw.

Man just slip, spin around and make em pay, and repeat. I have more trouble with guys who run away from me now. Hard to hit them with anything but one twos until you got em cornered.

If all of the footwork seems awkward, check out jack dempsy's chapter on foot work, and practice those steps constantly, bruce lee also had a great idea for footwork, which was very similar to JD's.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 7:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, why are you moving backwards anyway? if he is coming into you, then push equally or harder into him and after a few times he will stop and you can take the attack mode in the sparring

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 10:17am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by polishillusion
    well, why are you moving backwards anyway? if he is coming into you, then push equally or harder into him and after a few times he will stop and you can take the attack mode in the sparring

That only works on some people.

Some of the people I fight in the gym are shorter than me, and stronger, with a lower center of gravity. When someone like this crowds you, you loose a lot of your straight punch power, and they are in their natural position. Shorter fighters by nature have to be pressure fighters. Tall fighters (all fighters), need a certain range to be most effective. I'm tall for my weight class. And even then I can still make every (except the guy above) run from me. Some guys are just unbelievably strong and tough.

In the gym, with 16oz gloves on, its also hard to legitimently knock someone out, which is the only way I could make him stop coming.

So what do I resort to? Letting him come a little bit at a time, and tagging him with much harder shots. I get tired a lot faster when I'm not the one pacing the fight as well.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast