Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 10:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some background info

Look I have never posted before, but I was doing some research and I came upon this thread. After my laughter subsided I thought I would share my experience with the SCARS fighting system. I will try to make this brief. I was in ARMY Special Forces and in the mid-1990s we were conducting desert training with USN SEALS. One of the Petty Officers was a self-proclaimed hand-to-hand SCARS instructor. None of us knew what SCARS was or really even cared. Let me give just a little background in the 21 years I was in ARMY SF there was no formal hand-to-hand training conducted at the Detachment level. Anyone who says there was... is lying. Don't get me wrong plenty of people could fight with a decent level of proficiency. Try to understand the progression of violence, first we would drop ordanance on you, then demolitions, then machine guns, rifles, pistols, entrenching tools bayonets etc. With the hardware available, the last thing you want to do in combat is roll around on the ground with someone would wants to kill you. Our idea of fighting was with guns. There just wasnt the time to practice all the crap we had to master, verses the stuff we wanted to master. Still many of us had backgounds in Boxing, wrestling, judo, aikido... Back to the SCARS Instuctor, he talked alot of smack and basically pissed off one of my teamates. This guy was a fantasic athlete. He weighted a buck-40 dripping wet, and was a amatuer boxer in his prior life. A couple of us were boxers also but nowhere in his league. One thing lead to another and we had some boxing equipment laying around. The deal was our guy would have 12oz gloves and the SCARS guy would use what ever method he wanted. The fight started, boom, four shots, double jab, left hook, right upper-cut. Night-night SCARS Instructor.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Culled from:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18902

Kakessi,

Welcome to Bullshido.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Infidel

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 11:36am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still many of us [ in ARMY Special Forces] had backgounds in Boxing, wrestling, judo, aikido...
    Awe snap!

Welcome to bullshido Kakessi.
    I had a friend go through US SF selection (to be a comms dude) and in all his training I don't remember him mentioning much hand to hand stuff. I'm sure htey must get it at some level but I think there is a mystique that SF dudes just get immersed in the stuff. In the geater scheme of things stuff like language training is probably more important than advanced hand to hand training?