Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 11:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by knuckle dragger
    Some of the factors I am considering are how easy it will be to get ammunition, how difficult to become proficient with the weapon and also wether or not my wife could fire the weapon if she needed to.
    Unless its the end of the world as we know it (EOTWAWKI), then ammo availability shouldn't be too much of a concern. Both 12 gauge and 7.62x39 are readily available at Wally World and any sporting good store that carries ammo. Even if it was EOTWAWKI and zombies were roaming the streets, you should still be able to stock up from the sources mentioned above.

For zombies, the 12 guage is more effective, but its always good to have a good heavy short sword and buckler handy for when you run out of ammo. Of course, for serious zombie killing, nothing beats a GAU-19 in the back of dually. Zombie Killing Thread

As for proficiency, probably easier to get reasonably proficient with a shotgun, but the SKS isn't all that complicated of a weapon, so either one should be fine with a little practice. Once advantage of the SKS over the shotgun is that its faster to reload, since it uses stripper clips.

As for the wife, depending on her stature, she may find the SKS easier to handle in terms of recoil. As pointed out, though, 7,62x39 would pose a concern with overpenetration, even if using JHP. If you like the idea of an SKS, though, why not consider an M1 Carbine? The FMJ .30 cal carbine round has a bit of a bad rap, but the JHP rounds are man stoppers, but are less prone to overpenetration than the 7.62. Quick to reload, too, with detachable magazines.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Panthersix,

You referring to some sort of laser?

A holographic sight?
    http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...1940_303503357

Or a red-dot, proper?
    http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...t_1936_6119244

Me, I like the holo-sight. Got one on my duty AR. There's no eye-relief. :blob9:
    Last edited by Nid; 3/14/2007 12:35pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 12:42pm

Style: BJJ and Westernized TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot for the input guys. I think I am going to go with the Shotgun. Now to decide which shotgun. Hmmmmm.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 4:29pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    May I ask what is limiting you to those two options? I would think a handgun would be prime. What is the nature of your perceived threat? Are you interested in LTL weapons as an alternative? Especially for your dainty wife, a nice air taser might be the best option for home defense (people sometimes are reluctant to pull the trigger on a firearm with the intent to kill, especially females.)

Honestly, it sounds like you need to learn more about firearms in general. Grab a book by Massad Ayoob.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2007 6:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am reasonably profecient with handguns from working as an armed guard. I have been trained on revolver and automatic. Nothing really in depth though, just firing at a fixed target from a standing stance.

I guess I want a weapon with better distance than an handgun, so that makes me lean towards a rifle again. There I go waffleing. I hate being indecisive.

The reason I am thinking SKS is because it is cheap and semi auto and idiot proof. I am open to any suggestions that also fall in those lines.

What kind of training have you had? What is your weapon of choice?

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/16/2007 6:03pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a certain pucker factor that everyone has when they hear a shell getting racked.

Posted On:
    3/17/2007 2:33pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by knuckle dragger
    I guess I want a weapon with better distance than an handgun, so that makes me lean towards a rifle again. There I go waffleing. I hate being indecisive.
    I am no authority when it comes to firearms, but why do you consider the range of a handgun a limiting factor? What kind of property are you defending?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2007 11:33am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone has been giving you good advice, but I can't help kibbitzing when the subject is firearms.

Use light field loads and the missus should have no prob. accustomizing to a shotgun.

9mm carbine is a good idea. Ruger also makes one that is also available in .40 cal, and takes their pistol magazines so you have an excuse to buy another handgun . . .

As for SKSess, I have two and they are seriously fun. I would consider them practical within limits; rugged, not nearly as good as an AR-15, but not nearly as expensive. My wife has shot them and had no problem. She's a macha Chicana who had shot her Daddy's .30-30 before, and found the recoil "less". The cartridges are about the same power, but between the weight and the gas operation she felt the SKS was easier to shoot, and the recoil fairly controllable.

I have one of the SKS-"D"s that came out just before Bush I passed the "crime bill", it takes the AK detachable 30 round mags* and is way fun.

(*and 40 round mags. and two 30 or 40 round mags with a mag clamp. heh heh heh)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	167L.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	7742  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2007 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I went and put money down on a Chinese SKS. I will be getting it in about 2 weeks. It is in really nice condition. Spike bayonet. I don't know what model it is. It does not look like you could quickly put in a higher capacity magazine though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2007 1:18am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope you like your SKS!

The "D" model was a factory mod by one of the importers- China Sports I think. There was a booklet on doing the mod yourself you used to be able to find at gun shows, but I don't have the machinist skill to try it or even to judge if its a good idea or bad craziness.

There are aftermarket extended plastic banana mags, but they're crap. There IS an aftermarket replacement fixed box mag that holds 20 rounds instead of 10; its pretty rugged, a bit bigger than the original and loads with stripper clips.

I also played with muzzle brakes. They're not really needed but if your wife has a problem shooting the new toy, the twist-on AKS-74 style break actually seemed to work; reduced the recoil a bit and made it more straight-line, less muzzle rise.

Lots of sighting options available too.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/default.asp

http://www.sksman.com/index.php

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

Enjoy!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast