Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 11:32am

Style: BJJ and Westernized TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SKS or Shotgun?

I am torn between buying a Chinese SKS or a 12 guage shotgun. I just don't know what I want. I am to the point that I am willing to ask for advice.

I don't hunt. I will probably never ever hunt. I just want the weapon for home defense/riots/zombie attack. You get the picture.

Some of the factors I am considering are how easy it will be to get ammunition, how difficult to become proficient with the weapon and also wether or not my wife could fire the weapon if she needed to. Any opinions offered will be read and considered.

Thanks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 12:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: C.L.F., Hung Gar, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy neither. Decent AR + decent handgun = home defense.

The SKS is obsolete for a reason. Many reasons.

12-ga. isn't really what you want a woman to learn on.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 12:45pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7.62x39 is a bit much for home defense, unless you live by yourself in a 1BR house in the country far away from neighbors.

A shotgun is the easiest thing to become proficient with, especially when all you have to do is point in someone's general direction when its loaded with buckshot. Plus, buckshot won't go through 2 walls and into your neighbor's wife/kid/pet/Hyundai if you miss completely. If a 12 GA is simply way too much recoil for your wife (it shouldn't be, with proper training), get a 20GA.

Everyone should own a shotgun. I've got my eye on a nice Benelli M4 with a collapsible stock. (Black, not tacticalol camo.)

If you're a super gear queer, you can even affix a bayonet on some models (Mossberg 590 I believe) if you want to get stabby with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 1:34pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second the shotgun. The Mossberg 500/590 and the Remington 870 are solid choices. You should handle a few and then decide since the ergonomics will be a major factor in your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by One Round
    Buy neither. Decent AR + decent handgun = home defense.
    Maybe he doesn't want to start out by spending over a grand.

The SKS is obsolete for a reason. Many reasons.
    There are a few Korean shopkeepers in LA who would disagree with you.

12-ga. isn't really what you want a woman to learn on.
    It depends on the woman. Most women can learn on a 12 gauge with proper instruction. It isn't the best thing to learn on (for anyone, men or women); but it can definitely be done. There are also plenty of reduced recoil rounds available.

Infidel

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 2:20pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a shotgun you can take your wife skeet shooting. She'l enjoy it, have fun and give you the thumbs up to start wasting serious money on an end of days collection

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 3:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For home defense, get a 20 ga shotgun - if you're worried about over penetration (buckshot going through drywall and into the babies room...and the baby), use Safety Slugs -
    http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/glaser/glaser.htm
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't really compare, compradre.

The SKS is ideal for wearing black pajamas, squatting in foliage, and taking pot-shots at G.I.'s lounging in their hooches OR [squatting in foliage] and clearing out your hunting spot of up to 8 belligerent round eyes etc.

The shotgun is neat for perforating MULTIPLE vital organs per pop... but not the neighbors.

Shotgun.

Plus, you want to let the mufvuh here the "schick-schick" of the pump action. If he survives he'll regale his friends of the encounter and your street cred will be all like +5.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 7:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a really scary sound, but I've had equally great responses when I would rack the slide back on a patrol rifle (Rock River Arms AR-15...gorgeous piece of work).
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 6:54pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbine.asp

A fun and cheap weapon, I bought one after seeing a buddy pull one out of his trunk at the range and we shot a couple of hundred rounds through it with no jams no problems and lead on target every time. 9mm carbine is also good for home defense and at $200, very affordable. I have clear fields of fire around my house, it was on my list of "must haves" when I went home shopping.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 6:57pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and get the red dot scope. The red dot worked great in Iraq for traffic control. Car drives up on your halted convoy at night, put the red dot on driver's chest, driver turns on internal lights and puts hands out windows, then backs the freak up away from convoy. Sweet.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast