Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 4:48pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a feeling that it's one of those styles that is about 75% dead. That means that there are a few forms and tricks kicking around, but the drilling and progressive live training is gone.

I also have a feeling that this is par for the course with a lot of odd styles. When you hear about Dog, or Drunken Boxing and so on, you almost *never* see it practiced by anyone who isn't already skilled in something else. You hear about it being a "graduate" or closed door art but my feeling is that this is code for "not a complete art, so you need to learn something else and then get creative with the remaining bits."

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 7:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin kenpo,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dog style kung fu is sort of obsolete now if you think about it, any martial artist some point learns about everything from propper boxing, kicking and grappling skills when there is a art based upon ground and pound its sort of easy to counter

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 11:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu/Yang, Yu Wang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic
    I have that somewhere in my domicile...I'll try and find it and se if the Dog Section (I cannot believe I said that) is in there
    FWIW I have it in front of me. There is no specific section on Dog Boxing or any practitioners listed, just references by other practitioners. In chp 7, Han Ch'ing-t'ang (chin na) stated that a dog boxer would ride a judo throw and kick the thrower. In chp 10, Chang I-te's (white crane) grandfather was supposedly a master in dog boxing, or kou-chuan, "... in which the opponent is pulled to the ground, scissored, and kicked."

There are a couple of books on it under the alternative spelling "gou quan."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123