Sponsored Links Spacer Image

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 3:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CMA has lots of grappling, just not so much ground grappling.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dog boxing.

yes it exists. it is rare and hard to find much info, really. at one point my sifu sent me on a fact finding mission and i found a book on it for him, but it looked like most of it was directly related to judo stuff (like the armbar from mount.) and the book had really bad explanations and was badly done.

they also have some standing leg locks, but they would not be effective against a sambo practitioner, because there is no isolation of the leg.

my sigung did train a bit of it, and he taught some to my sifu, but it doesn't seem to be a very comprehensive style and as has been said, relies a lot on ground and pound.

we found a lot more interesting ground stuff in bando to be honest.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 6:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just watched a documentary on shaolin, from the documentary apparently dog style is derived from the principle of Wu xing quan (5 form combat technic). seen this on one of the documentary on shaolin made by national geography. ive seen part of this documentary on youtube if i find the correct section ill post it up lata.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 9:24am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The book you're talking about is "Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods" by Robert Smith. I own it, but it's in Chicago and I'm in Tulsa. Somehow I'll try to remind myself to grab it next time I'm there.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 11:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Southern Short Fist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I understand the history of Jujitsu, it came from monks that practiced Shingon Buddhism in China, and came to Japan fleeing persecution because of the mystical nature of Shingon.
    Grappling is in CMA (Tai Chi is a medium range art the emphasizes grapling), but it is done in conjunction with striking, not by itself. Jujitsu focuses on the grappling aspect, and does not focus on the striking.
    I haven't heard of Dog style, but would be interested in learning about it's roots.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 11:05am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
    The book you're talking about is "Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods" by Robert Smith. I own it, but it's in Chicago and I'm in Tulsa. Somehow I'll try to remind myself to grab it next time I'm there.
    Here are two Chinese text books.

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/chinese/chinbks_trad5.htm

There are two books on this page. Approx numbers eight and twelve.

http://www.satirio.com/ma/dishuquan/methodology.html

This site has pics on what little I've seen or read on Dog Boxing. Please ignore the"complete art" nonsense. Just getting some pics for curiosities sake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnkmgQRM69U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzkTlAoUnyk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_yBUN63skc

A lot of it looks like moves from Monkey Kung fu.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 11:33am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
    I have that somewhere in my domicile...I'll try and find it and se if the Dog Section (I cannot believe I said that) is in there

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    6/16/2007 12:27pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic
    I have that somewhere in my domicile...I'll try and find it and se if the Dog Section (I cannot believe I said that) is in there
    If I remember correctly, the description of it wasn't great. It was just something like, "fighting a dog boxer is hopeless, because whenever you try to punch them they'll grab it and throw you" or something. It could have been Jiu-Jitsu-esque, Aikido-esque, Chin-Na-esque, I don't know.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2007 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it Dog as in the Bow Wow kind of dog or does it refer to the mythical Fu(Foo) Dog?

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 4:27pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sifu Tai Yim was the first guy I saw do "dog boxing." The game plan is to grab, trip, sweep, and use chin-na to snap a joint or to place the opponent into a compliance hold while beating him senseless. It shares with all the other Chinese systems the idea that it's better to stay on one's feet rather than rolling around on the ground with the opponent, with many of the holds applied in a half-upright side-control sort of position. I suspect this is an old battle-field thing rooted in the fear that someone with a pike is going to skewer anyone who's on the ground for long. My take? Shuai-jiao as a better example of Chinese grappling.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast