Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 2:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Barton-Wright The True Originator of MMA

I've never heard his name mentioned anywhere in MMA circles. I think Barton doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Barton Wright

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu
    http://www.international-atemijujits.../bartitsu.html

"E.W. Barton-Wright is also remembered as a pioneering promoter of mixed martial arts or MMA contests, in which experts in different fighting styles compete under common rules. Barton-Wright's champions, including Yukio Tani and Swiss svingen wrestler Armand Cherpillod, enjoyed considerable success in these contests, which anticipated the MMA phenomenon of the 1990s by a hundred years."

poser

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 5:06pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you just reference Wikipedia as a reliable resource?

Besides, even that quote you posted doesn't mean he's the "originator" of MMA. Go watch the wrestling vs. boxing video from 1932 in the style vs. style section.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Barton Wright goes back to the 19th century.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Wikipedia article on Barton-Wright is completely accurate, but that doesn't mean that he was literally the "originator of MMA"; obviously, people have been combining different martial arts styles for about as long as there have been people. Barton-Wright was, however, the first person known to have combined Asian and European martial arts into a named system, and the first person to promote contests in jiujitsu vs. European wrestling styles.

B-W's Bartitsu style pre-dates the wrestling vs. boxing newsreel by thirty years, and also the craze for jiujitsu vs. boxing and other mixed-styles contests that took place during the early 1900s (this was discussed in detail in a recent thread in this forum).

He deserves full recognition for being exactly what he was, a martial arts pioneer whose ideas were about a hundred years ahead of their time.
    Last edited by DdlR; 3/11/2007 9:18pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 11:03pm

Style: Oushikoso-Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember My dad telling me about this guy when I was little.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 6:35am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1oz
    I've never heard his name mentioned anywhere in MMA circles. I think Barton doesn't get the credit he deserves.
    He gets mentioned around here respectably often.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/sear...archid=1357101
    Definitely ahead of his time.
    Last edited by Sophist; 3/13/2007 7:17am at . Reason: Goddamnit. No permanent links to searches I guess. But run a search on threads containing Barton-Wright, and you'll find a few.

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Did you just reference Wikipedia as a reliable resource?

Besides, even that quote you posted doesn't mean he's the "originator" of MMA. Go watch the wrestling vs. boxing video from 1932 in the style vs. style section.
    Barton Predates that by a mile. Besdies that was still that was still very much Sytle vs Style. Barton Wright was actually MMA in that he took the best from everything jujistsu, boxing, judo, savate etc etc

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much more on Barton-Wright and Bartitsu at http://www.bartitsu.org , including a link to the Bartitsu Forum email list.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1oz
    [unrelated note]
    Hehehehehe, if by "MMA circles" you mean MMA/TUF fanboys, more than one didn't know who Royce Gracie was when he fought Hughes.
    :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:
    [/unrelated note]
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris