Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 10:02am

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I seriously cannot skip

OK, what is my problem? I am starting to get more serious about cardio and have decided to start skipping. The rope I use is the right length (handles go up to mid chest when I stand on it) but I can't seem to skip for more than 30 seconds before I get tangled up in my feet!

I've tried a shorter line and making sure I look up but nothing seems to work. Am I going to be a lumbering uncoordinated goon the rest of my life?

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 11:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If, something isn't working within the first few tries, then it's not worth doing. Back to the couch you go. Seriously though, even the most uncoordinated goons (like myself) can get the hang of skipping, you just have to do it every day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 11:25am

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know I've gotta keep practising but I was just wondering if there was some kind of secret handshake or special method to stop me getting caught on my feet all the time. Last time I skipped I was a kid and I don't remember it being this hard O_o

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no secret. Skip more. Even if you have to jump with both feet and do less than 30rpm, just skip more.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by death pig
    I know I've gotta keep practising but I was just wondering if there was some kind of secret handshake or special method to stop me getting caught on my feet all the time. Last time I skipped I was a kid and I don't remember it being this hard O_o
    Kids are much, much better at develping coordination to most exercises than adults. Just keep going at it. Some people report making greater progress when looking down or at the point where the rope hits the floor. You may want to try that.

Also, when the rope hits your feet, just keep jumping at the same rate, as if nothing had happened. Re-arrange your rope and swing it over to start again. That not only will minimize the interruption in your workouts, but it will teach you to coordinate the movement of your rope with the jumping off your feet (rather than stopping cold, re-arrange the rope, swing the rope and start jumping.)

Just keep going at it, and be patient with yourself. Practice makes perfect. Hope it helps.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 1:05pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just started juggling chainsaws for hand coordination and I can only do it for about 30 seconds before the chainsaw chops one of the family pets in half.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 1:30pm

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't skip, jump instead, you'll eventually get to the point where you can skip. I tend to look at the floor while doing it and jumping when I see the rope just barely not touching the floor. That timing could work for you.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 1:44am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A shorter rope turns faster. That might be counterproductive.

If you're genuinely unable to do 1 jump per revolution, you can do that little kid hop-hop-jump thing. You jump over the rope, bounce on your feet as you prepare for the rope to come around, then jump again.

You can also practice without the rope, which may be helpful, or you can swing the rope at your side in one hand as you jump just to get comfortable.

Jumping rope is a fairly coordinated activity, and part of the way you get consistent with jumping is just doing it over and over.

If you want to get a jump rope instructional, or a top quality rope, get Buddy Lee Ropes and his video.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 2:22am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next week we will devote a thread to the intricacies of the "jumping jack".

Experts will share technique so don't miss it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 3:00am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by THX-1138
    I just started juggling chainsaws for hand coordination and I can only do it for about 30 seconds before the chainsaw chops one of the family pets in half.

What the hell am I doing wrong?
    Don't turn the chainsaws on until after you've gotten pretty good at juggling them. I'd suggest starting out with clubs and then moving ont to properly weighted knives, such as those carried by http://www.dube.com before moving into to chainsaws though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast