Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 11:47am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

bring sum ving tsun

I have been unable to miss the point that many people on this forum openly doubt the merits of wing chun and other styles which focus on sensitivity, looseness and rapid reactivity and I fail to really understand it. Of course, wing chun (or any other single martial art) is not a complete system in itself, but it does have useful, applicable, principles to teach. It emphasizes the importance of ambidexterity and how to launch a rapid flurry of attacks through an opening in your opponent's guard - pretty fundamental, if not original fighting skills, right?

It is best to be jeet kune do about these things - absord what is useful, reject what is blah blah blah, and I'm sure that is how most people would view it. I hesitate to say it, because I suspect I know what will happen, but John Perkins Ki Chuan Do system (again nothing truly original) highlights points which I consider to be important - balance, looseness, using the body as a weapon, etc. I would differ from his system when he understates the danger posed by grapplers - he suggests deliberately going to ground underneath an opponent, and I'm sure many of you have seen the groundfighting clips from the attackproof website. So again, not a complete system, but still there are parts to it which can be applied to 'real' or 'sparring' situations.

Even the much-lauded bjj, though terrifying to someone who would rather stand up and strike like myself, is not a complete solution to survival on the (cliche coming) 'mean streets', and I suppose that is why so many people cross train. After all, if three people attack you at once, you cannot choke them all at the same time. So I would defend wing chun, ki chuan do, traditional kung fu to a point - they can teach something. BJJ can teach something. MMA can teach a lot. But jeet kune do is bigger than all. I know I am not saying anything original here, but I hate to see wing chun and other styles dismissed out of hand. Except systema. I hate that ****. And drainage ditch ninjas.

Let us all strive to be complete. I have a long way to go, and must learn some jiu jitsu along the way, it seems. Peace all.

Sickses.

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 11:57am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically you're saying some systems have good concepts you can take. Additionally, you should take what is good and leave what is bad.

Anything else?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 12:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey, I said it wasn't original...

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 12:29pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    then why mention something the broad majority of people on this website already believe in?

and the ish with traditional systems is, other than esoteric ideas, there is very real applicatory delivery systems readily absorbed from them because they do not pressure test. as a rule.

and this is coming from a functional jkd guy.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 12:37pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickses
    I know I am not saying anything original here...
    Then don't waste Phrost's bandwidth. Hundreds of newer posters have said the exact same thing. Next time, don't start a thread until you do have something original to say.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 11:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been unable to miss the point that many people on this forum openly doubt the merits of wing chun and other styles which focus on sensitivity, looseness and rapid reactivity and I fail to really understand it.
    If that "sensitivity" and "rapid reactivity" doesn't relate to an alive situation and use real techniques to train it. It sucks.

Of course, wing chun (or any other single martial art) is not a complete system in itself, but it does have useful, applicable, principles to teach. It emphasizes the importance of ambidexterity and how to launch a rapid flurry of attacks through an opening in your opponent's guard - pretty fundamental, if not original fighting skills, right?
    Useful applicable principles are best learnt from useful applicable styles.

It is best to be jeet kune do about these things - absord what is useful, reject what is blah blah blah, and I'm sure that is how most people would view it. I hesitate to say it, because I suspect I know what will happen, but John Perkins Ki Chuan Do system (again nothing truly original) highlights points which I consider to be important - balance, looseness, using the body as a weapon, etc. I would differ from his system when he understates the danger posed by grapplers - he suggests deliberately going to ground underneath an opponent, and I'm sure many of you have seen the groundfighting clips from the attackproof website. So again, not a complete system, but still there are parts to it which can be applied to 'real' or 'sparring' situations.
    Attackproof is a laughing stock around here.

Even the much-lauded bjj, though terrifying to someone who would rather stand up and strike like myself, is not a complete solution to survival on the (cliche coming) 'mean streets', and I suppose that is why so many people cross train.
    BJJ works at what it does under alive conditions in it's specific range. Wing Chun doesn't.

After all, if three people attack you at once, you cannot choke them all at the same time. So I would defend wing chun, ki chuan do, traditional kung fu to a point - they can teach something.
    Those styles you've named have never been proven to work against one person, let alone three.

BJJ can teach something. MMA can teach a lot. But jeet kune do is bigger than all. I know I am not saying anything original here, but I hate to see wing chun and other styles dismissed out of hand. Except systema. I hate that ****. And drainage ditch ninjas.
    Please explain how you can rip on systema and ditch ninjers while at the same time praising styles with no greater success than these in MMA, full-contact striking, submission grappling, or even just decent sparring footage on youtube.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 3:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by viator
    I'd instead argue that the site mantra is, "Absorb what has been proven useful, and accept what is not." Nobody like the systems you've mentioned because they don't see them as having been proven to work, at least not as they're taught, without excessive external modification.
    I agree that excessive external modification is required to make wing chun work in an 'alive' situation, and that certainly it is too grid-based and rigid to be applicable to any chaotic situation. I just hate to see these things discarded for the sake of it, and still believe that sensitivity and, to a point, 'sticky' fighting can be applied to real situations.

Attack proof is partly a laughing stock on these pages due to its dismissal of grappling styles, which I also disagree with it on, and its own frankly bizarre groundfighting techniques. Bullshido is frequented by many bjj/grappling practicioners who seem to take this dismissal personally, as many people take insults to their their MA as a personal matter. Understandable with something you put so much time and effort into, I guess. KCD stresses the importance of yielding, fluidity and striking from any position, however, which is surely just common sense (if not actually groundbreaking new ideas on their part).

I am told that most people here already agree with the principles of jeet kune do, and yet it seems many fail to find the good hidden within some of these less fashionable systems. I guess training time is finite and we must all work with what we feel benefits us best per unit time. I am no world class warrior, but my mind is open to learning anything from any source I can.

Thanks for your well-reasoned comments, guys.
    Peace all. S.

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 4:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If someone can clearly demonstrate some "hidden" under alive conditions then it might be worth further investigation. So far, all non-sport martial arts either looks like a bad version of sports when sparring or is a dead pattern.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 4:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Please explain how you can rip on systema and ditch ninjers while at the same time praising styles with no greater success than these in MMA, full-contact striking, submission grappling, or even just decent sparring footage on youtube.
    Thanks, virus, that was supposed to be ironic, really, or at least an imitation of those people who reasonably argue the cause for their chosen style, and for mma/ufc (which really is a sporting form of jeet kune do, taking bits from all over) and then rip on what they think is an easy target. I don't have that much knowledge of systema, or, er drainage ditch ninjas, who I think are a dying breed, but I accept the *possibility* that I could learn at least something from either. The guy who sparred against the ditch ninjas with hedgehogey (whose name I forget) said he was beaten in one round by one of them, so even they have something to impart, I guess.

You are basically right, I feel. Praise what works, knock what does not. But Bruce Lee learned a lot from wing chun, although he too felt that it was too rigid, and he is responsible for much good fight footage, some of which I am sure you could find on youtube (which is itslef not the definitive martial arts litmus test).
    Peace all. S.
    Last edited by Sickses; 3/11/2007 7:20am at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 12:51pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... and for mma/ufc (which really is a sporting form of jeet kune do, taking bits from all over)
    Do you honestly believe this?
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast