Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, thanks for widening my thinking. I'll link this to him. I was probably exaggerating with the shoulder knives. I'd like him to carry a bazooka and be followed by six body guards.

I offered him a car...
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 10:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have like a 20 gauge shotgun that comes apart in 3 parts. I would carry it in my pack in pieces. Then, when I got to where I was camping, I would put it together. My argument was that it was not a gun until it was put together. And it's something that takes a minute or so to do. Thankfully, I had no "Imperial" entanglements.

I also carried a Ka-Bar. I suppose, that may have been a bit much. I suggest taking a hatchet and a utility knife if you are concerned with blade length.

I also suggest taking a Jeep. That way you have more control over your trip. You can do more **** than you can just hitching. There are some places people just don't ordinarily go, and you can get there with a Jeep. That's the way I did it. I went from Pennsylvania to California. I had a big old Gerry Can on the back. I only needed it for starting fires it turned out. You can take a big jug of water and even one of those sun showers. Have a cooler for your cold beer, steaks, bacon and eggs. All your gear and ready to ride. Damn, I gotta do that again.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 1:51am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjew
    However, remember more knife laws gear towards "inent" he is uses it against someone else, he better of been of danger of dying. There is no "its ok officer I stabbed him with a legal knife"
    You end up with the added legal issue of "escalation" if you introduce a weapon into a physical confrontation even if you acted in self-defense. Often the responding officer will bring you in and let the DA's office figure out whether they feel like charging you and bringing you to court for this issue. From there if get convicted in relation to this escalation what happens in the ways of fines, jail time, etc. boils down to how the judge evaluates the situation.

If someone were looking for a general purpose knife that could be used in a fight if necessary something in the three inch blade without any seration or other embellishment to the blade should do and will have minimal additional legal backlash in most areas.

For the guy whose son is thinking of hitchhiking he'd have better luck trying to ride the rails cross country and getting one or more friend to go along with him on this little adventure. Or just wait him out and see if he gives up on the whole idea when the time comes closer.
    Last edited by Fitz; 3/13/2007 9:43pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 8:48am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second what someone said about a basic folder, spyderco or equivalent.

As far as I know, a CCW doesn't cover knives in most states. You could still get in trouble for concealing a fixed blade with one. However, clipping a small fixed blade to the shoulder straps of a backpack or shoulder bag is okay in most places. A great place for a small fixed blade which is strong, very good for defense and utilitarian is www.hideawayknives.com Look at the utility version, under $75 bucks.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 9:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The states I am familiar with have a 'weapon exemption' for "common pocketknives," which usually excludes assisted opening and fixed blades. That means a "common pocketknife" is not considered a weapon. A tactical folder with a loose blade tension (for easy opening) and a locking blade (so it doesn't close on you with that easy opening) is what I would suggest.

Also, there is some lattitude based on where he goes. If he sticks with campgrounds, he's probably not going to get **** over a fixed blade knife and a hatchet...not so much if he goes to the mall with those on his belt.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell your son, if he cruises through my town, he'll be pistol whipped in the brain stem for even PICTURING an edged instrument in his minds eye. [/drunk with power]

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 7:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He'll do it, too, man...those Irrinois cops are out of their fucking minds. Only agency I know of that issues Patrol Bazookas is there...
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he wants a small fixed blade, then one on his belt or a neck sheath is probably more useful than a complicated shoulder rig. There are lots of good neck knives around. They're more complicated legally, though, because they tend to be worn concealed. If you wear it openly, it's not concealed, but then what's the point of hanging it off your neck, you know?

After all the advice I gave you, I carry a megafolder with a 5.5-inch blade that can be "flipped" open easily, but I carry it in my own state where I know the law is on my side. If I were hitchhiking across Utah or New York, I'd have something simpler.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now what's all this about sending your boy out with a concealed knife for self-defence Pat?

Let's, for a second, assume he knows how to use it. And that he doesn't encounter police who search him for it and then arrest him.

And that he doesn't do anything, like uh, wave it around threateningly when he's scared because some big local squares up to him in a bar, thus provoking aforementioned drunk redneck and all his friends to just beat him up with pickaxe handles and baseball bats or.. shoot him in self-defence.

What precise scenarios are you picturing where him being able to pull a knife out is going to make him safer ?

Duelling isn't legal in the US as far as I'm aware, and nice girls aren't impressed by that kind of thing anyway these days.

Not much help against guns. Very dangerous thing to threaten unknown hostile local people with if they're in the mood for some kind of brawl.

Let's think this through..
    Last edited by Cullion; 3/13/2007 1:29pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't mace or pepper spray be easier to disable somebody with without the attendant risk of your son phoning from jail going 'ohshitdadIthinkIkilledhimbuthewasgonnahitmeIswear !?!?'
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast