l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 2:21pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kung Fu at Throwdowns

All,

I have been thinking these past weeks on some of the issues present in the Bullshido community and the best ways to alleviate the worst of them.

I know for a fact that we, being traditionalists, will never be able to convince the "Nutriders" to give us the respect our styles rightly deserve unless we fight. Unfortunatly there seems to be a distinct lack of Kung Fu at Throwdowns. I would like to compile a list of good Kung Fu practitioners irregardless of style and see if we can form a "Fight Team" to go to throwdowns and represent some of the nastiest fighting systems in the world!

Thoughts?

P.S.
    I'm defenitly in, either for Wing Chun or for Kali

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 2:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There have been quite a few actually. Do a search read threads and don't try to incite a riot.

The so called nutriders hate MA LArpers. Search out some threads.

Oh, I was a MA LArpists so I hate them to.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 2:30pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    There have been quite a few actually. Do a search read threads and don't try to incite a riot.

The so called nutriders hate MA LArpers. Search out some threads.

Oh, I was a MA LArpists so I hate them to.
    I know of several styalists but I was looking for more of a formalized approach, video, critiques, "proof" of techniques working etc.

I'm looking to build a repository of reference material on CMA's working in a live enviroment. Similar to the video thread posted earlier.

Sorry if I was unclear/vague.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 2:41pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There you go. That is half the problem right there. As traditional CMAers we start ourselves off in a hole.

We need to quit finding "chinese techniques" that work. We need to show that the jab a boxer throws is very similar to a probing Mantis strike. That MT kick is similar to a kick from Tan Tui.

Instead of trying to make us superior and unique we need to show hey we have a different approach but it works like these techniques.

Besides Chi, our biggest hurdle is this statement,
    "Why don't you fight like the movies?" This statement morphs constantly but, always boils down to JC or JL.

Yes, there are things chin-na for example that are unique, that is a different bear altogether.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    All,

I have been thinking these past weeks on some of the issues present in the Bullshido community and the best ways to alleviate the worst of them.

I know for a fact that we, being traditionalists, will never be able to convince the "Nutriders" to give us the respect our styles rightly deserve unless we fight. Unfortunatly there seems to be a distinct lack of Kung Fu at Throwdowns. I would like to compile a list of good Kung Fu practitioners irregardless of style and see if we can form a "Fight Team" to go to throwdowns and represent some of the nastiest fighting systems in the world!

Thoughts?

P.S.
    1) Kali isn't a CMA so it wouldn't help

2) The two most respected fighters on the site both have CMA backgrounds they still draw from.

3) There are plenty of video examples already. You haven't actually seen and read about enough throwdowns yet.

4) Sure, throwdown for the fun and practice of it.

5) **** you I'm not a traditionalist. I only started Tai Chi because I was looking for a local school that sparred hard and competed, and couldn't find Kyokushin, Muay Thai, BJJ, Boxing, Amateur Wrestling or Judo at the time. (Found some of those things now, but the Judo, boxing and wrestling either don't fit with my schedule).
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Request or 'Is it Fake?':

I see all the different CMA as different martial arts. Could you please list your CMA styles rather than just say 'kung fu'?

I understand that if you are an uber-experienced guy who has done a several for 5+ years each that may come to a cluttered style field, but surely the ones that you are currently studying, plus the ones you still practice drills/forms from, or still find yourself using, could be kept within a reasonable length-style field ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thinking about it now, The Mainland NY throwdowns and the NYC throwdowns are mostly Kung Fu guys anyway.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 5:16pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Request or 'Is it Fake?':

I see all the different CMA as different martial arts.
    I do and I don't.

Could you please list your CMA styles rather than just say 'kung fu'?
    I'm working on an article, at some point when that's done it will explain why I list kung fu.

I understand that if you are an uber-experienced guy who has done a several for 5+ years each that may come to a cluttered style field, but surely the ones that you are currently studying, plus the ones you still practice drills/forms from, or still find yourself using, could be kept within a reasonable length-style field ?
    No way do I feel I approach the levels some of you guys have, especially Omega and Asia.

I guess most of my knowledge come from reading and research of multiple styles. Which, basically started from finding out my art was full of holes.

Trust me I will. I'm probably just going to change it to Xingyi. That is what I drill now with friends. Basically correcting my bastarized original Art. After that Chen style Tai Chi.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 9:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All,

I know for a fact that we, being traditionalists, will never be able to convince ....
    Thoughts?
    Why do you even care? Why do you feel the need to convince anybody? You running for office? Trying to open a school and fishing for students? Dude, a BBS is the wrong place to go looking for self affirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    There you go. That is half the problem right there. As traditional CMAers we start ourselves off in a hole.

We need to quit finding "chinese techniques" that work. We need to show that the jab a boxer throws is very similar to a probing Mantis strike. That MT kick is similar to a kick from Tan Tui.
    Nah. I can only half agree here. Need to not be looking for "Chinese techniques" period. Again, unless you are actually Chinese and looking for a bit of cultural pride, why should you be looking for ANY kind of cultural specific thing. I didn't notice anywhere in Omega's story of how he got into MMA a mention of him intentionally trying to learn "Chinese ****". He just went with what he saw around him that he liked and that worked for him. In his case it happened to be mostly CMA and that is the ONLY reason why anyone should be using Chinese training methods. I have no interest in showing that, "Hey man...it's really all the same anyways. Only so many ways to kick and punch...yada yada yada....." I think I once did. Part of why I left this board for so long was I completely lost interest in trying to prove anything about my art. I'm not in training so I can get a date at the Bullshido spring prom. Too much time on these boards warps your perspective. You forget how self selecting a group any particular board is. It's not representative of the world at large and CERTAINLY where you should be going for validation of what you do.

Instead of trying to make us superior and unique we need to show hey we have a different approach but it works like these techniques.
    I'd remove the word "need" from that sentence. I'm all into talking about different approaches but only as far as I am enjoying the discussion. Nothing to prove here anymore.

Besides Chi, our biggest hurdle is this statement,
    "Why don't you fight like the movies?" This statement morphs constantly but, always boils down to JC or JL.
    pfffft....the best answer is, "Why don't you? After being asked for the 3,437th time "Why don't you own a gun?" (since EVERYONE in China knows that EVERYONE in America carries a gun) the movie thing is just silly. Talking with a local Chinese dude who doesn't believe I have never shot a gun I ask him about his gongfu, especially running up walls and blasting people with qi bombs at a distance. They always laugh or get confused and tell me, "The movies aren't REAL...." Then I ask him where he learned that all Americans carry guns and we have regular shootouts in the street......

Same old ****. Stupid questions don't deserve serious answers.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 10:13pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All,

Thoughts?

P.S.

I showed my mom this thread, she thinks you're gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that but when you're straight blasting your boyfriend do you use lube or are you the one on the recieving end. Get the torches boys let's roast us a newbie.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast