Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 8:54pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bear Kungfu!

And who says you cant learn how to fight from watching animal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<u><f...-Ac</font></u>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vvkloC-Ac
    Big bear vs small bear

I score 2 points Big bear for the takedown at 00:41
    I score -10 points Big bear for pooping in the middle of the fight at 1:11, thats just nasty. Shouldve gotten disqualified for that.

Small bear has a good bottom game though.

Jokes aside.

Whats your take on stories/myth about old chinese men looking at animals fighting and devising their own styles?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 5:30pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, opium was popular

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartialArtN00b
    Whats your take on stories/myth about old chinese men looking at animals fighting and devising their own styles?
    There have been MA Nerds around for a long, long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 12:54am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartialArtN00b

I think it may have a lot more to do with invoking that character identified with a particular totem than actually watching the way an animal fights per se. For instance there are certain qualities associated with most animals but I don't see many of these qualities in the fighting methods atributed to watching such animals fight. Its more like trying to exude a quality commonly associated with the animal rather than actually practice the fighting method that the animal uses.

I just re-read my post and its probably about as clear as mud. Not quite sure how to re-write to make my thought clearer. Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 1:02am

Style: Xing-Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see that.

We have 12 "animals" as well and there are qualities peharps that were inspired by qualities assioated with animals. But it also could just be a way to make terming easier.

"Do Tiger" "This is simliar to Chicken" etc.

To add some, well, I dont know, thought? In XY, Horse feels very similiar to riding on a horse and has a similiar type motion.

I can say that I have never had to embody the essense of the <insert animal>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 4:13am

Style: WT/Xin Yi Liu He Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm... that bear should've gone for a GnP etc. Oh, and would it work in the UFC? Interestingly, it seems the small bear hits a couple of the big bear's dim mak points early in the fight since he drops some of his chi by 1:10.

Also; Overhead bear strikes from kung fu look a lot like overhead bear strikes from bears. Also, part of the point with bear forms is to look like a bear (moving in its skin) while you move (moving the hands, elbows, shoulder, knees etc. with small circles). Human martial arts were probably not inspired entirely by AMA, but they helped explain how it should work.
    Last edited by TheOtherChris; 3/14/2007 4:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 5:03pm

Style: Hei Long Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bear is one of the shou shu animals. These are the linear, 'hard', aggressive movements of the system. The stances are low, and the center is in the hips. Handforms are more broad, like punches and hammerfists, rather than the more pinpoint strikes. As comical as this may seem to some of you, when we say we are using "bear," we are implying these traits to whatever we are working on. Its not like we are trying to mimic how a bear moves, or something, we just associate attributes to an animal, then apply the correct animal(attributes) to the correct situation, employing different strategies mid-fight, based on opponents body type, based on the users body type, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 5:04pm

Style: Hei Long Shou Shu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I aplologize for giving a serious answer, in case this thread was meant to critique the bear fight, or make fun of animal style practitioners

poser

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 8:00pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Little bear wins by TKO, it looks like. Big bear should never have taken it to the ground.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    4/13/2007 9:54pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhomp
    I can see that.

We have 12 "animals" as well and there are qualities peharps that were inspired by qualities assioated with animals. But it also could just be a way to make terming easier.

"Do Tiger" "This is simliar to Chicken" etc.

To add some, well, I dont know, thought? In XY, Horse feels very similiar to riding on a horse and has a similiar type motion.

I can say that I have never had to embody the essense of the <insert animal>
    I was under the impression, too, that certain techniques were directly inspired by animals, such as Chicken Legs apparently being invented after the way birds walk.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast