Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    punching bag / crew jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Premier Martial Arts (topic went awry for MABS)

http://www.bedfordhillsmartialarts.com/

It looks pretty legit, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with the school. Plus the F.I.G.H.T. stuff looks a little funny... gun defense?

Bedford Hills, NY, I mean.

Style
    Tenchu Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    F.I.G.H.T. is a Krav Maga Israeli Defense type program.
    Premier Martial Arts is Franchise Type program that uses a standardized business plan and collects the schools contract payments. They all are pretty much the same. They use a standardized curriculum and I doubt that they teach BJJ as their main art. This looks like a Baskin Robbins approach to Martial Arts Training. In going down the BJJ page on their site they have an add that says what looks like the former name of the school "Bedford Hills KUNG FU"

Somewhere I saw in some of their literature (PMA Corporate) that they are going to be offering MMA teaching certification with Hermes Franca on a weekend seminar, who is now sponsored by PMA.

You have to make your own decision about the training though keep in mind that this company used to be "Black Belt Schools of America".

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option. supporting member
    Style
    BJJ, Unauthorized Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do a search on Premier Martial Arts and you will find various articles here. You will also find various posts from me as well. Basically it's it's all about the marketing and the money. There are some schools that have decent programs but that is usually because they bring in outside professionals such as quality kickboxing on BJJ instructors, for example, that have nothing to do with PMA. The PMA program is very suspect as well, seems to be a combination of TKD/XMA stuff (basically, lots of flash, no substance). Also, from what teachers who are a part of the program have stated here on those various PMA threads, that they get ranked in the PMA style. This means you get a black belt and teaching certificate in PMA, not any of the more known styles of martial arts, i.e. karate, kung fu, TKD, BJJ, Judo, etc. So instead of being a black belt in such and such style, you are a black belt in PMA. To me, this is some marketing BS because most people don't want to learn from a "certified instructor" with not rank in a martial art, they want to learn from a black belt, so PMA provides that. Great marketing, don't you think.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Do a search on Premier Martial Arts and you will find various articles here. You will also find various posts from me as well. Basically it's it's all about the marketing and the money. There are some schools that have decent programs but that is usually because they bring in outside professionals such as quality kickboxing on BJJ instructors, for example, that have nothing to do with PMA. The PMA program is very suspect as well, seems to be a combination of TKD/XMA stuff (basically, lots of flash, no substance). Also, from what teachers who are a part of the program have stated here on those various PMA threads, that they get ranked in the PMA style. This means you get a black belt and teaching certificate in PMA, not any of the more known styles of martial arts, i.e. karate, kung fu, TKD, BJJ, Judo, etc. So instead of being a black belt in such and such style, you are a black belt in PMA. To me, this is some marketing BS because most people don't want to learn from a "certified instructor" with not rank in a martial art, they want to learn from a black belt, so PMA provides that. Great marketing, don't you think.
    In short, search function you fucking newb....

Style
    BJJ, Unauthorized Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    In short, search function you fucking newb....
    Dammit...I knew there was something I was forgetting in my original post!

Style
    punching bag / crew jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry 'bout the search thing. I'm a lazy fucker. Plus I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this particular school.

Anyway, I was just wondering because an instructor from the place in Bedford Hills came to my high school today to teach a gym class. It was really just a cardio kickboxing warmup (which is better than the **** we get from the teacher) but the guy said he was primarily a traditional Kung Fu instructor. To make things a little more confusing, he said that his school was an MMA school, and that he also taught Krav Maga, BJJ, Muay Thai, and kickboxing.

Interestingly enough, I'm positive I went to his school when I was 5 or 6, back when it was 100% Kung Fu.

Anyway trial lesson or something might be worth a shot, but it's not on my to-do list at the moment.

Style
    BJJ, Unauthorized Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwoww
    Sorry 'bout the search thing. I'm a lazy fucker. Plus I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this particular school.

Anyway, I was just wondering because an instructor from the place in Bedford Hills came to my high school today to teach a gym class. It was really just a cardio kickboxing warmup (which is better than the **** we get from the teacher) but the guy said he was primarily a traditional Kung Fu instructor. To make things a little more confusing, he said that his school was an MMA school, and that he also taught Krav Maga, BJJ, Muay Thai, and kickboxing.

Interestingly enough, I'm positive I went to his school when I was 5 or 6, back when it was 100% Kung Fu.

Anyway trial lesson or something might be worth a shot, but it's not on my to-do list at the moment.
    Hmmm, I personally think Krav sucks, but that's me. If he is teaching Krav then he should be a certified instructor under it. Also, under Krav, you have to be a certain rank to teach and then you can only rank up to a certain level. He should know these things. You can check on that.

If he is teaching actual Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu then ask what his rank is and under who. Hell, you can ask him if he know's the rank structure, anyone who does BJJ will tell you white, blue, purple, brown, black. There are some places I've heard that has some other craziness going on but I think almost all go by this. If he doesn't know it, that will tell you a lot of things. Not really that he is lying, but that he doesn't have enough experience in it to actually be teaching anything.

As for Kickboxing, there is no real universal rank structure so that depends on how long he has been studying it. Also, if he has competed what is his record.

For Muay Thai, you need to talk to some others about that as I'm not familiar.

You may have to be a bit coy when asking these questions but find out and report back. Might have another PMA school to add to the list.

Style
    BJJ, MT, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav by itself is good. TKD masquerading as Krav is bad.

If it is Krav they should have a full contact sparring class. Along with DDM's questions, you should find out how often they spar/roll.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Style
    BJJ, Unauthorized Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Krav by itself is good. TKD masquerading as Krav is bad.

If it is Krav they should have a full contact sparring class. Along with DDM's questions, you should find out how often they spar/roll.
    Sorry about that. I should have mentioned that Krav with just drills and senarios without full contact sparring is what I hate. As long as you have resistance, you have results.

Non-resistance TKD AND KRAV...ouch!

Rolling is key as well, although with my injury, I've found that repetative drilling has a place as well as long as there is rolling to go along with it. Also, resistance drilling as well. Working on a particular moveset with resistance just for that moveset. That's something you can check out while at class as well.

Again, the old "search function noob" will yield great results on this site. I actually lurked for quite a few months before even posting.

Style
    Judo-Brown
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sifu Brandon has been studying martial arts since he was 5 years old. He holds the Red Level Master Sash from Black Dragon, Purple belt under Royce Gracie, certified Hangah F.I.G.H.T. instructor (Israeli Martial Arts), Infinite Muay Thai instructor.

if you have no experience a purple under Royce would be a fine place to start.
    i wonder how often the BJJ class is?

The PMA school near me has either BJJ or Judo 5 times a week. And you can just those two arts for like 99 a month. The instructors are incredible ( a BJJ black belt, a judo 5th degree) so it's a good deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last