Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 7:45pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if you're already there, give it a trial class (if you can get one) if it suits yer fancy do it. But be wary and if you think it'll take away from yer Jiujitsu then I'd say **** it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 1:31am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpacid
    Anyways, my question was would you guys advise me to learn AJ while I am in Japan?
    If you've got the time and interest to do it I don't see why not. Even if you only learn the basics and then don't stick with it further you might still pick up some new methods and ways of looking at body mechanics.

Find out what is is that he is teaching though. Daito-ryu is the grand-daddy art of nearly all Aiki forms but a few arts that call themselves "Aikijutsu" are really Aikido lineages with more of a practical orientation, or at least that is what they'd like to think. If it is a Daito-ryu line give it a shot and see how much you enjoy it and how useful you find it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 7:48am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure this is going to come out right but I throw it out FWIW.

If I were going to go to a foreign country to learn a martial tradition I think I would make it a high priority to get as close to the source as possible. For instance, there are a number of arts in Korea which supposedly trace their origins, at least in part, back to Chinese and Japanese sources. That being the case I don't know that I would go to Korea to learn the Korean version of the Japanese art, say. Taken a step farther, I also am not sure that if I DID go to Japan that I would necessarily settle for training at the first school I bumped into on my trip from the airport. As far as I am concerned PREPARATION is huge when it comes to going to another country, and the idea of simply showing up on someone's doorstep and kneeling in the snow until they let you in only works in the movies. Though it does not get talked about a lot, some cultures don't necessarily fall all over themselves accepting round-eyes into their training regardless of how much money you have to throw around. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP:

1.) Do you want to learn more TMA? If so, then take your Sensei up on his offer. You will learn something, whether or not it is MMA applicable. If you only want MMA training, then pass.

2.) Good TMA's tend to be closed circles. Some clubs are invite only. Some of those clubs train very hard. They don't want to waste their time with casual students. You may find that this will open up other doors to you as well. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 11:28pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anybody know any Daito-ryu schools in London, England?

I would love to watch a class to check it out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 11:35pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked out www.daito-ryu.org but only found Schools in Japan, USA, Canada, Hong Kong with the only European club being in Holland.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 8:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu (GI, No Gi)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I went and took one class. The sensei is definately not doing this for profit...Its only 300 yen(2.50 us) just for the place we practice it. He is doing this probably just to continue the art.

So basically there are no weird ceremonies and no magic pants. It does remind me of police restraint techniques. It involves self defence moves that lead to submission of the opponent through joint manipulation. Self defence from collar grab, choke, wrist hold etc. This is definately not very useful for a real fight...I've been in a few street fights and no one every tries to choke you or go for the wrist lol.

However, I did find it somewhat useful as a facused way to learn the proper technique of joint manipulation...which can be applied to JuiJitsu and other submission grappling forms. Once a week I might consider going there, but my shoulder/elbows are killing me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2007 5:34am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not to be harsh, but dude get some info... is it daitoryu or not? who is the sensei? who was his sensei? all that stuff can give people more to go on. I agree with you though that lots of the joint manipulations can be used in MMA... i hate watching these MMA ers trying to do some funky arm bar/lock and not realizing the most effective way to manipulate the joints... if your arms hurt after one practice i guess it could be effective...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2007 7:08am

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's t3h r3al daito ryu, the instructor should be able to do the following:

If you grab both his wrists hard, he should be able to lock you up so that you can't let go of his wrists.

If he can't do that, he can't do daito ryu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2007 4:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu (GI, No Gi)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    not to be harsh, but dude get some info... is it daitoryu or not? who is the sensei? who was his sensei? all that stuff can give people more to go on. I agree with you though that lots of the joint manipulations can be used in MMA... i hate watching these MMA ers trying to do some funky arm bar/lock and not realizing the most effective way to manipulate the joints... if your arms hurt after one practice i guess it could be effective...
    I found out some things. This aiki-juijitsu is not Daito Ryu. The sensei's name is Sawada-san, but I do not know who his sensei was.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast