Posted On:
    3/10/2007 12:11pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Samurai Swordercise!!!

The samurai work-out is a cut above

Penny Hughes leads a samurai-sword workout class called Forza at Inlet Fitness South in Virginia Beach. Hughes promises no muscle gets a bye in these sessions. GENEVIEVE ROSS/THE VIRGINIAN-PILOT

Forza - The Samurai Sword Workout is attracting standing-room only crowds in swank New York City gyms. Now it's made it's way to Inlet Fitness South in Virginia Beach.

Here, in an expansive mirrored room, instructor Penny Hughes twice a week leads these hour-long, total body, no-impact workout classes that combine the basic elements of two Japanese sword fighting techniques - Kendo and Aikijujitsu.

Hughes promises no muscle gets a bye in these sessions. And that the average participant burns up to 500 calories. From martial arts? I just had to try it.

The uniqueness of Forza is immediately apparent as students head for a pile of wooden "bokken," the proper term for the slightly curved, hip-high swords. Hughes earned certification to teach classes from Forza creator Ilaria Montagnani. She limits the class to 12 participants. Today, we are seven saumurais strong, as a family that takes the class together is on vacation. That leaves plenty of space for sword slinging.

Which is not what we're supposed to do.

Hughes reminds us that our movements should be controlled, precise, with discernible beginnings and endings.

"You want to make sure you cut your opponent's head off honorably," explains Debbie Ross, a soft-spoken 49-year-old... with a first-degree black belt in sword.

For a cut, the most basic of moves, we are to lift our bokken toward the heavens, while keeping our elbows in sight, and then plunge the blade downward, halting precisely at the Adam's apple.

Sounds easy. Hughes, who has taught boxing and kickboxking classes for a decade, makes it look easy. But it's not easy.

During the class, Hughes builds routines by layering moves, a bit like the structure of aerobics classes. We start with a series of half-cuts - taking the bokken from overhead to neck level - while stepping forward with one foot and then the other. Then we're on to full cuts, where the sword stops at the belly button, but this time while we're squatting side-to-side.

Four minutes later, we add twirls, an especially satisfying move where we flourish the bokken from hip-level, over the shoulder and behind the back while lunging forward with a full cut, then lunging once again with a thrust to the abdomen to finish.

I wish I could watch in the mirror - in my mind's eye I look like one of those sword-wielding video characters hacking my way to a higher level. But each time I attempt an admiring glance, I mess up. Like any martial art, this class demands full concentration.

Plus, only when I stop do I realize how hard I'm working. Everyone is huffing and sporting an honorable stain of sweat. By the close of class, we've lunged, cut and slashed across the room countless times to Hughes' staccato commands of, "Again. Again. Again."

We finish with a series of "kendos." Facing a partner, we execute a sort of detached sword fight, bokken turned diagonally this way and then that. I imagine that the sound of the bokken clacking together would be a fitting end to the class, but Hughes reminds us that this is a no-contact discipline.

The class accommodates all fitness levels. Ours includes a couple of beginners, plus a couple with martial arts experience.

Richard Ray, 55, took up Forza to get in shape after a kidney transplant.

"I like this," he says. "It's aggressive, but it satisfies my 'no contact' law."

Ross, the black belt, is drawn to the cardio component.

"In martial arts, it's all about technique," she says. "Here, you work on your technique and have the fun of aerobics, and you get to listen to great music."

http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...461&ran=157542

Wow. First degree in sword.

http://powerstrike.com/ - Careful. Site has some techno music, TURN IT UP!!!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 12:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, I can live with Karatecise and Tae Bo, but this just seems ridiculous.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember hearing about this quite some time ago, but there wasn't enough information to put together a post on it. Nothing more than a stick version of TaeBo. Utter bullshit but it doesn't pass itself off as self-defense.

Some of the other classes attempt to word themselves as actual self-defense though.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 12:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps someone should ask her what charin-shiburi and tenouchi are and, if she's cutting makko or shin choku.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 12:36pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seesm to me like inept people will be knocking each other out in no time.

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 12:45pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th
    Seems to me like inept people will be knocking each other out in no time.

Natural selection in action.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 3:28pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually have an article that I took out of Marie Claire soon after kill bill came out advocating a sword workout.

I'll see about scanning it and posting it here. The ridiculousness of it is what got my attention.

Though I can certainly vouch that intensive weapons work can be quite a workout I'd prefer to see it done in a differant manner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 3:49pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Hughes reminds us that our movements should be controlled, precise, with discernible beginnings and endings.

"You want to make sure you cut your opponent's head off honorably," explains Debbie Ross, a soft-spoken 49-year-old... with a first-degree black belt in sword.
    "

Bwaaahaaahaa!!!

I hope this evolves into some kind of Nunchuk-robics! That would be fantastic! THe KO's and flying weapons would come thick and fast!

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 6:27pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by temppong
    "Hughes reminds us that our movements should be controlled, precise, with discernible beginnings and endings.

"

Bwaaahaaahaa!!!

I hope this evolves into some kind of Nunchuk-robics! That would be fantastic! THe KO's and flying weapons would come thick and fast!
    Cutting off your opponent's head dishonorably would just be... cheap. And might give a bad name to female martial artists.

That photo is priceless for it's Freudian undertones!

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WHAAAT THEEEE FFFFUUUUCCCCKKK!!

I am so pissed off right now because of all this Daylight Savings Time bullshit that I have to do for like 700 computers, I'm about to **** a brick. This just tops the cake.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast