Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 2:44am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Punch ranks first.

Ordinarily i dont post here and am content to lurk, since there are far more qualified posters.

But i thought people may enjoy this article.

Punch Ranks First

You now have a thorough understanding of "punch." Why did I give you such a detailed education in the fundamentals of hitting before I taught you any defensive moves?

I did it for many reasons; but the principal reason was this: The best defense in fighting is an aggressive defense. Each defensive move must be accompanied by a counter-punch or be followed immediately by a counterpunch. And you cannot counter properly if you do not know how to punch.

That does not mean that "a strong offense is the best defense." That overworked quotation may apply to other activities; but it does not apply to fighting. It does not apply when you're pitted against an experienced opponent. You may have the best attack in the world; but if you're an open target-if you're a "clay pigeon"-you'll likely get licked by the first experienced scrapper you tackle.

YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD DEFENSE TO BE A WELL-ROUNDED FIGHTER. AND THE BEST DEFENSE IS AN AGGRESSIVE DEFENSE.

Another reason for teaching punch first was this: You learned how to throw every important punch without having an opponent attempt to strike you.

I'm convinced that it's wrong to try to teach beginners punching moves and defensive moves at the same time.

Most humans cannot have two attitudes toward one subject at one time. And a beginner can't have two attitudes toward fighting.

If you take any ten beginners and attempt to teach them punching and defense simultaneously, more than half of them will concentrate on defense instead of punching.

That's a natural inclination, for it's only human that a fellow doesn't like to get hit in the face-or in the body either, for that matter.

It follows that more than half the beginners will consider it more important to protect their own noses than to concentrate on learning how to belt the other guy in the nose. They'll develop "defense complexes" that will stick with them. Fellows with defense complexes rarely develop into good punchers. Even when they are shown how to hit correctly, they sprout bad punching habits while concentrating on blocking, parrying, back-pedaling and the like. They "pull" their punches; they side-step while trying to throw straight smashes; they move in with "clutching" fists that seek to encircle their opponents for clinches; and they do much showy but purposeless footwork.

The little thought-ditch that is dug in the beginning will become the big channel for later fistic reactions.

You're lucky. You're starting with the mental accent on punch. And it's a 100-to-1 shot that your attitude will not change.

It's true that you haven't punched yet at a live target-at another fellow. Don't worry; there's plenty of time for that. And when you do start tossing at a live target, you'll know exactly how to toss. That exact knowledge will help you to become accurate and precise, as well as explosive, against a moving target.

Championship fighting

By Jack Dempsey

Courteously formatted by Jew-Mod 2.0
    Last edited by Judah Maccabee; 3/10/2007 11:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 9:16am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dempsey's the man....

Shame you just cut-n-pasted the article, because its formatting is crap and hard to read.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 11:09am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fixed.

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 2:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nice read

poser

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 3:03pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good article.

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Want to go into depth into what the ''agressive defence'' is?

I see it as using your defense with the intent of utilizing openings in the chaos of punches being thrown at you as opposed to just trying to stop punches.

COrrect me if im wrong please.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 9:00pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    check out the dempsey thread in this forum for a downloadable version of the entire book. Page 1 has a link to another site with it, page 3 has one also.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 11:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: San Shou Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    says a lot of good stuff there, surely though you could encourage a defensive fighter out of their shell by means of a bit of semi contact sparring rather than just writing them off?

Posted On:
    3/17/2007 1:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    check out the dempsey thread in this forum for a downloadable version of the entire book. Page 1 has a link to another site with it, page 3 has one also.
    I searched, found many threads on jack dempsy.

But no book.

Can you give me a link? Id love to read it.

Posted On:
    3/17/2007 12:30pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    I searched, found many threads on jack dempsy.

But no book.

Can you give me a link? Id love to read it.

Here is the link to Dempsey's Championship fighting It is a pdf file so you can download it and print it if you want.

http://www.freecirclefighting.com/

click on the archive tab and look for the pdf reference.

Really good book on old school boxing.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast