Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 2:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What the HELL am I drinking? PART 3

The more of these concoctions I ingest, the more I realize that they may one day lead to my mutation like an X-Man, but with some really really inane and useless ability...like, I'll be able to make my eyelashes grow at will or something equally useless and terribly uncool. Anyway, here are some more "ingredients" to digest...

Medical and Legal Disclaimer

I AM NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR, HOLISTIC DOCTOR, OR A HORTICULTURALIST. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS PROVIDED THROUGH VARIOUS SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS A DEFINITIVE OPINION AS TO THE EFFECT OF THESE INGREDIENTS MAY HAVE ON YOUR BODY, MEDICAL OR OTHERWISE.

THE FOLLOWING SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES AND AS A STARTING PLACE TO PERFORM YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

PLEASE CONSULT WITH A QUALIFIED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL BEFORE EMBARKING ON ANY DIETARY SUPPLEMENTATION PROGRAM.

N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine:
    Yikes, funny words scare me too. However, it turns out, N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine is converted into the amino acid L-Tyrosine in the human body. L-Tyrosine research has shown that this amino acid help keep your neurotransmitters running sharp. Deficient neurotransmitters, synapses and serotonin secretion in the brain have been associated with depression and mood swings. Elevated levels of L-Tyronsine have been shown to increase neurotransmitter production which may keep you from flying off the handle when the little old lady cuts you off on the highway. If you are not depressed and generally stressing about the small stuff than you are naturally doing your heart and blood pressure level a service. So, L-Tyrosine may help to curb road rage and then going home and going into a vegetative depression as a result of running the old lady off the road.

Enzymes:
    Enzymes generally serve a wide array of functions in the human body. However, one of the key functions is in the digestive system. Enzymes such as amulase, protease, cellulase, and lactase all assist the body in the digestive process, i.e., breaking down proteins, carbohydrates, plants, etc.

D-Ribose:
    D_Ribose is a sugar that while not classified as an “essential nutrient” is classified as “essential to life” due to it being an essential component to many of the necessary biological molecules in the human body such as ATP (ATP provides energy to the bodies muscles to help them during exertion). Some research has proffered that D-Ribose provides some protective benefits to the heart.

L-Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate:
    This is an essential amino acid which helps the urinary system rid the body of toxins such as ammonia, and has also been shown to assist in protein synthesis. Some studies have associated this amino acid with the prevention of cardiovascular disease, treatment of some forms of male infertility and some kidney disorders, and as helping wound healing in some circumstances. You will also see this amino acid being touted by the gym rats as a beneficial supplement to assist in muscle growth. There has also been some preliminary evidence suggesting that it may help in male erectile dysfunction.

Potassium Citrate:
    This stuff helps it to not hurt when you pee. Although, if it hurts to pee after a particular energy drink you can be sure I will not buy it again. Also, hypothetically, the inclusion of this ingredient in an energy drink may lead you to believe that the lab rats who were injected with 50 gallons of this stuff may have been pissing crystals before they put it in. No thank you sir, no thank you.

Glycerin:
    Similar to Maltodextrin, glycerin is a sugar that is commonly used as a thickening agent and preservative.

Vitamin A:
    Vitamin A is an essential human nutrient that assists in vision, bone growth, reproduction and cell development. It helps to promote healthy surface linings in the respiratory, intestinal, and urinary tracts. The tolerable upper intake level for vitamin A, established by the Institute of Medicine (IOM), is 3000 mcg per day for males and females over the age of 19.

Vitamin C:
    This is an essential nutrient in the human body that first gained its notoriety as a preventative for scurvy. The tolerable upper intake level for vitamin C 2g per day.

Yerba Mate Leaf Extract:
    An leafy herb that is used throughout South America as a tea. It has a little less caffeine, and is much more gentle on the stomach, than coffee. Caffeine content varies between 0.3% and 1.7% of dry weight (compare this to 2.5–4.5% for tea leaves, and 1.5% for ground coffee).

Green Tea Extract:
    This tea has become typically identified as being from Japanese culture and tradition. Green tea has been associated with a cornucopia of alleged human health benefits (including stopping Alzheimer’s, preventing cancer, and treating multiple sclerosis). None of which have been directly substantiated by modern medicine. However, journal articles have come down as recent as 2006 in which studies indicate that consumption of green tea may have preventative affects on cardiovascular disease, reduction in stress, and reduction in body fat.

Zinc:
    Zinc is an essential element in the human body. Studies have shown that zinc supplementation may help the immune system in combating flu like illness.

Goji berries

Goji Berries, i.e., the Wolfberry, is commonly used as an ingredient in fungicides and pesticides in China. There are conflicting reports of whether the Tibetan berry and the Chinese berry are distinct species, but there is apparently no scientific data to confirm that they are indeed different.

The only drink that I have found thus far that contains this stuff (essentially making you drink and insecticide) is Steven Seagal's Lighting Bolt (review here http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68637).

Tibetan or Himalayan Goji Berries are marketed by some companies and an exotic wonder fruit full of powerful antioxidants. However, some of those companies also believe is is possible, through goji berry supplementation, to live until the rip, very ripe, old age of 252 (see http://www.gojiberries.us/). There have been very few clinical trials testing the Wolfberry stories and the actual health benefit of the plant is currently a matter of speculation.

However, as a side note, it is commonly used as an ingredient in fungicides and pesticides in China. There are conflicting reports of whether the Tibetan berry and the Chinese berry are distinct species, but there is apparently no scientific data to confirm that they are indeed different. Thus, if you choose not to drink it you can use it to kill carpenter ants.

Cordyceps

Cordyceps are a species of entomopathogenic fungus, or fungus that are parasitic of insects in the wild. Here is a Wiki quickie for those interested....

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    These fungi usually attach to the external body surface of insects in the form of microscopic spores (usually asexual, mitosporic spores also called conidia). Under permissive conditions of temperature and (usually high) moisture, these spores germinate, grow as hyphae and colonize the insect's cuticle; eventually they bore through it and reach the insects' body cavity (hemocoel). Then, the fungal cells proliferate in the host body cavity, usually as walled hyphae or in the form of wall-less protoplasts (depending on the fungus involved). After some time the insect is usually killed (sometimes by fungal toxins) and new propagules (spores) are formed in/on the insect if environmental conditions are again permissive; usually high humidity is required for sporulation.
    However, Cordyceps has been cultivated on wood or grains and has been used shown to have beneficial effects on the human immune system and have anecdotal evidence of positive effects on the human respitory system and control of cholesterol levels.
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 4/15/2008 12:42pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 3:36pm

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it really isn't all that bad. The aminos are all good. I really don't know if all the extra enzymes would make it through the digestive system without being broken down, but it wouldn't hurt you in any event; they'd just be wasted. Of course, there's been an issue with too much Vitamin A in some concotions lately, so you don't really want to exceed 100% RDA by much, esp. if its "real" Vit. A and not beta-carotene, which breaks down okay.

The real question is, how much sugar is in this liquid wonderdrug, and are you also smoking, doing meth, or living on captain crunch and cheese?! 'Cause super juice won't protect you from an otherwise crummy lifestyle . . .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 3:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course. I'm being a sarcastic turd.

If you would like to know how much of any particular energy drink you would have to gobble to kill yourself, check out this site.

http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/

Interesting fact from that link:

The most deadly 16oz Energy Drink appears to be "Rockstar-Zero Carb"; down 39 cans and you may be pushing up daisies (compare this with regular "Rockstar" which is listed at 89 cans).

The most deadly 8 oz energy drink appears to be "SPIKE Shooter"; 49 cans and yer a dead man (compare this with "Red Bull" which they have listed at 179 cans = death).
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 3/09/2007 3:57pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 11:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I'm played, you is a grownup.

I saw a young man at the convience store yesterday buying two 16oz Rockstars
    and a pack of Marlboros. Wonder where his countdown clock is at?

I felt positively HEALTHFUL, as well as old school, with my 24oz Natural Light and my bag of Fritos . . .

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 11:54am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by metarat
    Ok, I'm played, you is a grownup.

I saw a young man at the convience store yesterday buying two 16oz Rockstars
    and a pack of Marlboros. Wonder where his countdown clock is at?
    You don't live in SC do you? That's how I start everyday

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by debul937
    You don't live in SC do you? That's how I start everyday
    Well, at least you aren't walking around in aikido pants, thinking you can beat up rednecks!
    :laughing6

Naw, I'm in Arizona and it was afternoon; you jes got a lot of soulmates across this great land . . .