Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 12:02pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll want to be able to rest the week before, with only light training. Get the science of ports training at Stadion.com, or at least read the free articles. Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 1:29pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend doing calf stretches before you run, drop the mileage running, just do some 30 or 40 meter up-hill sprints, walk down, sprint up, x 10 reps twice a week. Stretch again after your cardio sprints and then ice down for 20 min or so with home made ice packs (green palmolive dishwashing soap in zip lock baggies, double bag it, freeze it), put a towel or t-shirt between you and the plastic ice baggy. All the current research (March edition of Best Life magazine) for older guys (I'm 46) says that the beneficial effects of long distance runs can be obtained doing sprint training.

Take a week or two off, then start back slower, that should work the best. One lesson I've learned 30 years too late is that all the damage you do to your body now will resurface in your late 40's and really hobble your training. I have to be wicked careful with my training now or I over compensate for an old injury and create a new one! Randy Couture is a freakin Cyborg!

Good luck to you.

I punch people

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    You'll want to be able to rest the week before, with only light training. Get the science of ports training at Stadion.com, or at least read the free articles. Cheers
    Yup, definitely planning to do light training a week prior.

Quote Originally Posted by panthersix
    I recommend doing calf stretches before you run, drop the mileage running, just do some 30 or 40 meter up-hill sprints, walk down, sprint up, x 10 reps twice a week. Stretch again after your cardio sprints and then ice down for 20 min or so with home made ice packs (green palmolive dishwashing soap in zip lock baggies, double bag it, freeze it), put a towel or t-shirt between you and the plastic ice baggy. All the current research (March edition of Best Life magazine) for older guys (I'm 46) says that the beneficial effects of long distance runs can be obtained doing sprint training.

Take a week or two off, then start back slower, that should work the best. One lesson I've learned 30 years too late is that all the damage you do to your body now will resurface in your late 40's and really hobble your training. I have to be wicked careful with my training now or I over compensate for an old injury and create a new one! Randy Couture is a freakin Cyborg!

Good luck to you.
    Awesome idea about the home made ice packs!
    I think a pretty major part about the longer distance running is also the mentality to tough it out when you are fatigued, but thanks for the advice regardless.

And yes, Couture is very inspirational. I don't expect him to win vs Crocop, but how amazing would it be if he brought it to a split decision!?
    It's only fun and games until somebody loses and eye. Then it's fun and games in two dimensions!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 4:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to answer your earlier question, yes shin splints will go away if you treat them right - i had them for a long time when i started running and now that i run 20-40 miles per week i never get them (i have a whole new rash of problems now). if you dont treat them right, they will become chronic (as will all injuries) and you will hate yourself forever.

you probably dont get enough omega 3, even if you eat a lot of fish in your diet (200mgs is recomended per day)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 9:08pm

Style: Tenchu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craphonso
    you probably dont get enough omega 3, even if you eat a lot of fish in your diet (200mgs is recomended per day)
    If you ate fish till it came out your ears you couldn't get enough Omega3 from it.
    You need to supplement and be sure to check that your supplement comes from pure fish oil - No Flax seed oil. The fish oil contains the DHA and EDA your body needs. Flax seed oil contains ALA which your body must convert to DHA/EDA and there is new eveidence that even then it isn't fully utilized.

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 3:14pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as an asian-am male from the north.

i must say.

it's rather dope that there's an asian am female boxing down in georgia. and rather trippy. considering a) I thought that there were hardly any asians down south and b) I've never met an asian am female boxing before.

I punch people

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 7:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hate to rain on your parade but the girl in the avatar is my girlfriend, not myself. And yes, I've tried to interest her into trying boxing...

No, it didn't work. She does however enjoy watching PrideFC events, being Japanese and all.
    It's only fun and games until somebody loses and eye. Then it's fun and games in two dimensions!

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 8:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    eh. too bad. i'm still hecka surprised that there are asian people in Georgia.

I punch people

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 8:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are plenty of Asian communities in the lower income areas outside of downtown Atlanta. Also there are a ton of Asians at the universities, especially Emory.
    There is a female Asian boxer at the gym though, but I'm pretty sure she's not amateur, at least not yet.

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 8:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow. that's surprising. any idea about the ethnicities represented?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast