Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 3:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like shin splints to me as well. they are really known as a beginners running problem, which seems like it fits the bill.

BY - be careful taking alleve - there is some research out there that shows it hinders the healing process. ibuprofen is better in many cases of injury.

also, take omega 3 capsules, making sure they are fish oil derived, not just flax seed derived. they have serious anti-inflammatory properties and dont upset the stomach as much as ibuprofen - as well as many other benefits.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    800 mg of ibuprofen is a prescription strength dose.

Regardless whether this amount works for your coach or you in the alleviation of pain symptoms, your coach shouldn't be practicing medicine without a license and you shouldn't be casually taking this amount without at least consulting with a physician about your pain symptoms beforehand.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 5:22pm

Style: Tenchu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan

Regardless whether this amount works for your coach or you in the alleviation of pain symptoms, your coach shouldn't be practicing medicine without a license and you shouldn't be casually taking this amount without at least consulting with a physician about your pain symptoms beforehand.
    Totally agree here.... My chiropractor strongly recommends AGAINST taking medicinal anti-inflammatories for this type of thing for more than three days. He cited a study that suggested that longterm use of ibuprofen actually causes deterioration of the joint cartilage hence creating more of the problem you are trying to alleviate.

He had me taking Bromelaine (an enzyme from pineapples) and an Omega 3 supplement for inflammation. You should look at some of the anti inflammation diets that are out there. You could have an underlying food allergy (milk, wheat, etc.) that is causing your whole problem.

Also permanent liver damage is possible with overuse of certain anti-inflammatories.

Be Careful

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Yeah, that dosage caught my eye too.

As did the timing: before the workout.

Me, I don't take any pain-masking medications before training. After, yes. But if something's hurting, I want to listen. If it hurts too much to train, then I don't.

It would take something pretty damn important -- say, an important seminar that I'd already paid for, or sumpin' -- for me to override my pain sensors. That would be like having an idiot light come on during a road trip, and putting a piece of tape over it so that I wouldn't be distracted.

Of course, I'm not getting paid, not prepping for a big fight, just trying to stay in shape and have some fun. And I'm an old ****. So most people's mileage will undoubtedly vary from mine.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 6:01pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Luan, I am actually not afraid of using NSAIDs occasionally, and 800 mg doesn't seem excessive - but yes, check with your PCP, blah blah blah.

If you have access to linaments, I highly recommend two different ones:

1. Kwan Loong Oil - works great for post-workout pain.
    2. Wood Lock Oil - for pain that is sub-acute or chronic.

Always test any linament out on a small area first to determine how your body reacts to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 6:32pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'd be careful with that much Ibuprofen or with Aleve, they stress your liver quite a bit, and if your a normal college goer, your probably already stressing your liver with alcohol =)

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 6:59pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sound like shin splints, and I have had them in the worst possible situation. I agree that you are training like a machine. The problem is that you aren't a machine. You need more rest. Rest doesn't mean sittin on your ass though. You can still be active just don't be crazy. Any trainer that tells you to take anything to mask pain is an ass. Pain is your bodies first line of defense from serious injury. Masking pain only gives you the false assumption that the cause isn't as serious as it is. Medication, IMO, should be reserved for injuries. By injuries I mean a condition wich has been diagnosed and a appropriat amended training regiment has been applied to facilitate healing. Not take 20 of these and keep going.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 8:50pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like shin splints to me as others have stated. FWIW Ibuprofen was prescribed prior to deregulation at 600 mg dosages. 800 seems excessive and I would be watching for gastric problems ie: burning a hole in your stomach. Do the sensible thing and back off training a bit and allow your body to heal

JD

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 11:49pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luan
    Seriously? 3 hours daily is more than professionals?
    I'm 23 and the only pain/soreness i'm aware of are in my ankles/lower shin. The rest of my body feels like a million bucks.

But hey, i'm no professional so i'll keep that in mind. I'll go ask the guys at the gym how long is overtraining.
    Yeah, 3 hours, especially consecutively, is a long time. There's a guy at my gym that is an undefeated pro and Olympic gold medalist, and he trains hard, but not for 3 hours. Now, he trains everyday, but for 2 hours. that includes warm up, push ups, etc. There's a book, called boxing workouts, that has the training schedules of about 25 pro boxers. I was the same way when I was 23. You'll get stronger if you rest more. That no pain, no gain **** is for guys doing body building, and using Roids, etc. You shouldn't feel gassed and sore everyday.

I punch people

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I value everybody's opinion.

Shin splints sounds like the most logical condition since I've mostly noticed soreness after I started running regularly. Coach told me my target was to be able to run 3 miles 4x a week so... that's what I did haha. To be honest, 3 miles is no problem for my cardio, but I guess my shins just weren't ready for the stress. My shins feel pretty good today (I haven't ran since wednesday) just a hint of soreness when I bounce around on them. So my question is since this is a beginner runner's condition, these shin splints will go away in time if I pace myself and rest (and hopefully not be recurring once I again ramp up intensity)?

And yes, 800mg of Ibuprofen seemed like a high dosage which is why I started this thread in the first place. I knew it would be fine for a few days but wanted to find alternatives since it wasn't my plan to use it for an extended duration. To clarify, I didn't ask coach about how to deal with chronic pains, just told him that my shins felt really beaten up and he mentioned ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory. He probably just thought it was a one-shot deal (didn't expect me to just go busting out 3 miles from the get go hehe).

As for diet, I do try to eat very healthily. I eat a lot of primarily fish and chicken, no beef or pork, lots of vegetables, juice, milk, etc. I also don't really drink either, so my liver should be pretty good hehe. With my high consumption of fish, I think I'd be getting a good amount of omega-3. However I'll still probably go out and get some omega-3 supplements.

Lastly, aside from my shins being sore from running, I don't feel that 3 hours at the gym M-F is overtraining though I appreciate the concern. I'm rarely if ever gassed or sapped for energy. Most likely the pro's that train for those 2 hours have a much higher intensity training regiment than myself. It's not so much a "no pain no gain" mentality for me. I just really enjoy my time in the gym, plus I've never been in better shape in my life. It is a pretty serious gym though the website hasn't been updated in years haha http://www.artofboxing.net/. I'm hoping I'll be ready to fight at Golden Gloves at the end of the month.
    It's only fun and games until somebody loses and eye. Then it's fun and games in two dimensions!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast