223538 Bullies, 3729 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 44
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Luan is offline
    Luan's Avatar

    I punch people

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    429

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 2:19am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Alternatives to Ibuprofen

    I've been running 3 miles and training at the boxing gym about 3 hours or so a day at high intensity.

    For the past month I've been experiencing a lot of strain and soreness around my ankles and lower shin. I'm not really sure if it is muscle soreness, joint stress(?), or something else I'm not aware of.

    I've consulted my coach about it and he recommended I take 800mg of Ibuprofen some time before training. This works very well at relieving the pain but relying on a drug is not something I want to depend on especially for an extended period of time.

    1) What am I experiencing? soreness? structural stress? arthritis(lol)?
    2) What are the ramifications if I continue taking the Ibuprofen and maintain a high intensity workout (drug side-effects and physical ramifications of continued high strain)
    3) Are there any safe alternatives (natural or unnatural)
    4) Recommended rest cycles (I go to the boxing gym M-F, rest weekends, run 4x a week non structured)
    It's only fun and games until somebody loses and eye. Then it's fun and games in two dimensions!
  2. Marrt is offline
    Marrt's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    756

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 9:49am


     Style: default std

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luan
    I've been running 3 miles and training at the boxing gym about 3 hours or so a day at high intensity.

    For the past month I've been experiencing a lot of strain and soreness around my ankles and lower shin. I'm not really sure if it is muscle soreness, joint stress(?), or something else I'm not aware of.

    I've consulted my coach about it and he recommended I take 800mg of Ibuprofen some time before training. This works very well at relieving the pain but relying on a drug is not something I want to depend on especially for an extended period of time.

    1) What am I experiencing? soreness? structural stress? arthritis(lol)?
    2) What are the ramifications if I continue taking the Ibuprofen and maintain a high intensity workout (drug side-effects and physical ramifications of continued high strain)
    3) Are there any safe alternatives (natural or unnatural)
    4) Recommended rest cycles (I go to the boxing gym M-F, rest weekends, run 4x a week non structured)
    Little more info please...
    how new are your running shoes? and what sort did you buy? did you have your stride checked out?
    are you training boxing with the same shoes? no shoes? what?



    Edit - and don't be up at 2:19 in the morning posting - if you're training intensely you should be sleeping.
    Last edited by Marrt; 3/09/2007 9:54am at .
  3. mutex8 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    14

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 9:53am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hung Gar

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this level of intensity much higher than you are used to in the past? Could be shin splints, or any number of bodily response to sudden, unusual stress.

    Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory. The only non-pharmaceutical alternative that I know of that works is RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation.
  4. Luan is offline
    Luan's Avatar

    I punch people

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    429

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 11:33am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    Little more info please...
    how new are your running shoes? and what sort did you buy? did you have your stride checked out?
    are you training boxing with the same shoes? no shoes? what?



    Edit - and don't be up at 2:19 in the morning posting - if you're training intensely you should be sleeping.
    I'm using relatively new shoes which I also train with (New Balance 1221's). I'm planning on grabbing some Aasic or Adidas wrestling shoes for gym and ring usage (not for running).
    No, I did not get my stride checked out. How would I go about doing this? I also noticed this soreness prior to when I started running seriously from jump rope.

    Haha, i'm a college student so I don't got much choice about sleep, had to write a 10 page paper. But generally I get about 8 hours a day so this is an exception.

    Quote Originally Posted by mutex8
    Is this level of intensity much higher than you are used to in the past? Could be shin splints, or any number of bodily response to sudden, unusual stress.

    Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory. The only non-pharmaceutical alternative that I know of that works is RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevation.
    This level of intensity is not much higher than what I am used to in the past no. I trained muay thai for a couple of years prior but always without shoes.

    Anyhow, thanks for all the input, i'll wiki shin splints.
    It's only fun and games until somebody loses and eye. Then it's fun and games in two dimensions!
  5. new2bjj is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,935

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 11:40am


     Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dud, your are training for longer periods than a pro boxer, and I've seen some pro boxers train- get more rest. Think of your body like an 8 ounce glass- now pour some really expensive champagne in it- 14 ounces- more is better, right? What happens to the other 6 ounces- wasted.
  6. Luan is offline
    Luan's Avatar

    I punch people

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    429

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 1:03pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously? 3 hours daily is more than professionals?
    I'm 23 and the only pain/soreness i'm aware of are in my ankles/lower shin. The rest of my body feels like a million bucks.

    But hey, i'm no professional so i'll keep that in mind. I'll go ask the guys at the gym how long is overtraining.
    It's only fun and games until somebody loses and eye. Then it's fun and games in two dimensions!
  7. Beaton Yu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Balls deep
    Posts
    405

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 1:19pm


     Style: Judo, Xbox

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does the pain in your shins feel more like it's in the bone than the muscle? Is it on the inside or outside of the shin?
  8. Marrt is offline
    Marrt's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    756

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 1:49pm


     Style: default std

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luan
    I'm using relatively new shoes which I also train with (New Balance 1221's). I'm planning on grabbing some Aasic or Adidas wrestling shoes for gym and ring usage (not for running).
    No, I did not get my stride checked out. How would I go about doing this? I also noticed this soreness prior to when I started running seriously from jump rope.

    Haha, i'm a college student so I don't got much choice about sleep, had to write a 10 page paper. But generally I get about 8 hours a day so this is an exception.



    This level of intensity is not much higher than what I am used to in the past no. I trained muay thai for a couple of years prior but always without shoes.

    Anyhow, thanks for all the input, i'll wiki shin splints.
    ok, couple of things. Assuming you're doing a bunch of stretching. Look at some different shoes... runners are great for running, not so hot for other stuff - especially if it has a bunch of lateral movement. Runners are designed to work heel to toe back to front. They have medial support but thats mostly just to support over/under pronation in how you run. When you're boxing (or whatever) you're moving off that center line - directly side to side, diagonals whatever and that'll stress your ankles - especially if the shoes aren't really designed to support the movement. Maybe move up your purchase schedule on the wrestling shoes. Alternately, court shoes are pretty good too, like tennis shoes, indoor soccer shoes. Not as much direct ankle support but way better under-sole support for lateral movement. (you'll probably see pluses on the rope jumping from this too), and make sure you stretch your achilles and feet (sit with legs out in front of you, lean forward, grab toes, pull back gently - the underneath of your foot may not be sore but if it's tight it can cause discomfort around your ankle/shins).
    Good running shoe stores can do a stride analysis - you have good shoes but potentially you may over-pronate/under and may need something different. Mostly I think you need to switch out what you fight train in - definitely not the right thing.
  9. Luan is offline
    Luan's Avatar

    I punch people

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    429

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 2:44pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaton Yu
    Does the pain in your shins feel more like it's in the bone than the muscle? Is it on the inside or outside of the shin?
    Definitely feels more in the bone than the muscle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt
    ok, couple of things. Assuming you're doing a bunch of stretching. Look at some different shoes... runners are great for running, not so hot for other stuff - especially if it has a bunch of lateral movement. Runners are designed to work heel to toe back to front. They have medial support but thats mostly just to support over/under pronation in how you run. When you're boxing (or whatever) you're moving off that center line - directly side to side, diagonals whatever and that'll stress your ankles - especially if the shoes aren't really designed to support the movement. Maybe move up your purchase schedule on the wrestling shoes. Alternately, court shoes are pretty good too, like tennis shoes, indoor soccer shoes. Not as much direct ankle support but way better under-sole support for lateral movement. (you'll probably see pluses on the rope jumping from this too), and make sure you stretch your achilles and feet (sit with legs out in front of you, lean forward, grab toes, pull back gently - the underneath of your foot may not be sore but if it's tight it can cause discomfort around your ankle/shins).
    Good running shoe stores can do a stride analysis - you have good shoes but potentially you may over-pronate/under and may need something different. Mostly I think you need to switch out what you fight train in - definitely not the right thing.
    Very informative, thank you very much! Lots of good points.
    It's only fun and games until somebody loses and eye. Then it's fun and games in two dimensions!
  10. Beaton Yu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Balls deep
    Posts
    405

    Posted On:
    3/09/2007 3:08pm


     Style: Judo, Xbox

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luan
    Definitely feels more in the bone than the muscle.
    Sounds like shin splints to me. Welcome to my world. The shoes you have are very good for running in. They are specifically designed for over pronators. I bet you didn't even know that when you bought them. :icon_bigg Over pronation is the main cause of shin splints. You're probably like me and not a drastic over pronator. But over training or dramatically increasing your training can bring on shin splints in folks like us. I would suggest reducing your running and then GRADUALLY building back up. Cut your pace and distance. There is a lot of info on the Internet about stretches and training techniques to deal with shin splints. Just goolge shin splints and read up.

    I take Aleve every time before I run. Shin splints are an inflamation problem, so anti-inflamatories are what you need. Also I ice down my shins for 15 minutes after every run and sometimes in the evening too. It workes wonders. Good luck.
    Last edited by Beaton Yu; 3/09/2007 3:12pm at .
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.