Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2008 2:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/sp...ay-talent.html

She looked as if she were still a member of the Little Group, so much so that, watching from the bleachers, I was momentarily unsure whether it was her or some beginner. Dementieva did imitatsiya; she practiced each stroke in slow motion. Then, when her male sparring partner showed up, she proceeded to hit the ball so hard, accurately and consistently that it seemed she was playing a sport I'd never seen before. Again and again, her body rose to the ball in a twist of ballistic force, the power betrayed only by the snakelike rise of her thick blond braid. The ball hissed.
    Imitatsiya is the main Systema training methodology - and Spartaks record clearly indicates it works for producing hot Russian tennis players.

The Systema community, IMO, does a lousy job of communicating the value of ideas like slow training to the larger MAs community even when places like Spartak have material, measurable success using them. The best Systema trainers are just like Larisa Preobrazhenskaya (the trainer mentioned in the article).

Anyway, time to tune my E-Meter. See you boys at the big Clearwater seminar....

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    2/13/2008 10:19pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting article. And I do agree that most systema practitioners have trouble verbalizing the pedagogy of systema.

Where and with whom do you study?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 2:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the Golden State. Usually with an authentic Russian. Episodically.

Your right about the pedagogy. And isn't really surprising because in general Russian educational pedagogy makes fundamentally different assumptions about cognitive style and learning strategies than do American theories. They tend, like Systema, to be learner centered and to push the instructor to a role more akin to that of a facilitator than a traditional MA instructor.

While I'm thinking of it, another great Systema idea that reoccurs in Russian training literature is to learn ballistic movements by starting at the end position. You learn the snatch by locking out your KB, BB, whatever at the end position....thus teaching your body where to go, and you learn to punch by placing your fist on a body...thus teaching your fist where to go. The idea (with solid science behind it) being that the body will not allow a movement it doesn't understand.

You can use this idea to punch better, but you can also apply the principle to help a kid throw a football or kick a soccer ball. I.E. start at the release and work backwards. Maybe that isn't Systema, but then again maybe it is...after all it is a principle based art.

Posted On:
    6/24/2009 2:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kungfu + Systema + Yiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is one person that does verbalize the Systema Pedagogy well.
    Montreal Systema Instructor Kevin Secour's Free Book:

http://www.montrealsystema.com/uploa..._THE_RONIN.pdf

Kevin uses NLP perspectives to explain systema concepts and approach. Offers some amazing simple drills.

I've been doing Systema for 6 months. I have to say I've learned a GREAT deal. I have one issue with the way Vlad trains (he is a master teacher, no doubt about it): He is so non-technique focused that if you're a total beginner in ground work... it's tough to pick it up! perhaps standup work is different since anybody knows basic punching principle: fist hit something, hurt someone. ground game is different.

6 months of systema: My kung fu improved alot (I cross train). My health improved a lot. My over all tension level DRASTICALLY decreased (reason I started systema anyways). I am more confident in my ability to pull off my skills prior to systema.

Systema is like any other art, you need:
    1. good instructor.
    2. hard work.
    3. understand what your doing! (as in spent time make the art yours).

The original poster might be missing #3. I didn't bother to digg through the 60+ posts to find his background prior to systema. At least with my ground game, it didn't improve much in 6 months (then again, I don't care that much about ground game).

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 1:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NO STUPID SMARTASS CRAP L

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Después de ver algunos videos de Vladimir y su "Systema", estoy convencido de que las versiones digitales de los manuales de Fairbanks, Applegate, Biddle, Styers. Bruce Tegner y hasta el Liutenant X, son mejores opciones que Systema. Quien quiera invertir su tiempo y dinero en algo mágico, pues dedíquese al aikido, chin na y chuai chiao, que le serán más útiles que Systema. Yo soy educador y no tengo dinero ni tiempo para regalar a los nuevos gurús de la defensa personal.

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 2:32pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yperite View Post
    Great article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/sp...ay-talent.html

Imitatsiya is the main Systema training methodology - and Spartaks record clearly indicates it works for producing hot Russian tennis players.

The Systema community, IMO, does a lousy job of communicating the value of ideas like slow training to the larger MAs community even when places like Spartak have material, measurable success using them. The best Systema trainers are just like Larisa Preobrazhenskaya (the trainer mentioned in the article).

Anyway, time to tune my E-Meter. See you boys at the big Clearwater seminar....
    I'm pretty sure the hot tennis players are still practicing real tennis moves that look like actual tennis.

I'm willing to buy the training methodology, but how do you explain the horrible techniques that are practiced (see especially any knife and gun defense videos with the person doing suicidal ****).
    <insert witty comment>

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 9:59pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laga View Post
    Después de ver algunos videos de Vladimir y su "Systema", estoy convencido de que las versiones digitales de los manuales de Fairbanks, Applegate, Biddle, Styers. Bruce Tegner y hasta el Liutenant X, son mejores opciones que Systema. Quien quiera invertir su tiempo y dinero en algo mágico, pues dedíquese al aikido, chin na y chuai chiao, que le serán más útiles que Systema. Yo soy educador y no tengo dinero ni tiempo para regalar a los nuevos gurús de la defensa personal.
    Has vistado que esto es un forum angloparlente, no? Como fuera que puedes contestarnos sin noticando el ingles?

Fucking babelfish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 10:57pm

Style: Ju-Jitsu/BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laga View Post
    ¿Por qué usted no escribió en inglés? Esto es obviamente un website de inglés!

Jeff Cook

Posted On:
    6/29/2009 12:32am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    ¿Por qué usted no escribió en inglés? Esto es obviamente un website de inglés!
    Brought to you by the Firefox extension "Ubiquity." I know this isn't perfect, but you can probably understand what he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Laga
    After watching some videos of Vladimir and his "Systema", I am convinced that digital versions of textbooks from Fairbanks, Applegate, Biddle, Styers. Bruce Tegner until Liutenant X, Systema are better options. Anyone looking to invest their time and money into something magical because dedíquese to aikido, chin na and chuai chiao, who will be most useful Systema. I am a teacher and I have no money or time to give the new gurus of self-defense.
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 414748495051