Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 12:49pm

Style: Karazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    If you are teeping left, you should be up on the ball of your right foot the entire time.
    I have a question about this. Most of the information I have found about the teep says to keep the supporting foot flat on the ground. I naturally come up on the toes, which I think is from previous training, but I have been working on staying flat-footed lately. I was wondering if staying flat-footed is just a personal preference?

P.S. Sorry for the thread derail, just figured it may be a good piece of information for the OP also.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 2:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-low
    I have a question about this. Most of the information I have found about the teep says to keep the supporting foot flat on the ground. I naturally come up on the toes, which I think is from previous training, but I have been working on staying flat-footed lately. I was wondering if staying flat-footed is just a personal preference?

P.S. Sorry for the thread derail, just figured it may be a good piece of information for the OP also.
    A teep is not a front kick and a front kick is not a teep.
    Teep- ball of foot(mostly)
    Front kick- Flat footed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    A teep is not a front kick and a front kick is not a teep.
    Teep- ball of foot(mostly)
    Front kick- Flat footed.
    These demonstrations seem to show the opposite. The first one has the front kick and it seems to be done on the ball of the foot on the supporting leg, and the second has the teep and is done flat-footed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTELOTO_NQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTELOTO_NQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWlrGnwmCIQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWlrGnwmCIQ

In the Saekson Janjira DVD I have he says to teep with the supporting foot flat on the ground for support. Also in this instructional it says the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMMBRBNtZLw

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe it's just a school of thought type thing. I feel like I get a bit more penetration if I pop up on the ball of my foot a bit and pivot for the kick. I also don't entirely agree with the last video on not using the foot jab/teep/push kick offensively. Just watch Buakaw vs Masato in the 2004 K-1 World MAX Finals. It probably is best used primarily as a defensive technique, but it can be useful for offense aswell:

Me at WAKO 2006
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 6:39pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol that looks like total pwnage there... and especially funny because it's in a loop playing over and over. :)
    I agree it can be used offensively to some extent, but you must keep your supporting leg under you so that you don't fall forward if you miss. In your vid you make a little jump with the supporting leg to keep it under you, which is teh correct.
    And you can not rush in too fast with that kind of attack, because it's really easy to sidestep that straight attack.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 8:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Maybe it's just a school of thought type thing. I feel like I get a bit more penetration if I pop up on the ball of my foot a bit and pivot for the kick. I also don't entirely agree with the last video on not using the foot jab/teep/push kick offensively. Just watch Buakaw vs Masato in the 2004 K-1 World MAX Finals. It probably is best used primarily as a defensive technique, but it can be useful for offense aswell:

Me at WAKO 2006
    I figured it may be a preference or situational thing, and not necessarily a set in stone way of performing the kick. Thx.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 8:36pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would definitely recommend talking to your coach first. Any advice/hints I give should not be confused for instruction. I have my way of teaching students, for better or for worse, which I have accumulated over my 10 years of MT experience.

Nothing, imo, can subsititute a good coach when learning proper technique.

I like to be up on the ball for a few reasons. I like to have my head as high from the ground as possible, making it harder to reach (this does not mean not tucking the chin, but simply having the head higher makes it harder to hit, especially in later rounds, and especially with kicks). I also find being on the ball of the foot makes follow-ups easier. I am a big fan of same side kicking right after a teep.

Also, Keep in mind I am describing a drill, and I think it is good to practice this teep drill on the ball of the foot, because it is a bit harder to maintain balance. So even if you are a flat-footed teeper, you can benefit from some practice on the ball, because it will really make flat-footed teeping feel solid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 9:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    I would definitely recommend talking to your coach first. Any advice/hints I give should not be confused for instruction. I have my way of teaching students, for better or for worse, which I have accumulated over my 10 years of MT experience.

Nothing, imo, can subsititute a good coach when learning proper technique.

I like to be up on the ball for a few reasons. I like to have my head as high from the ground as possible, making it harder to reach (this does not mean not tucking the chin, but simply having the head higher makes it harder to hit, especially in later rounds, and especially with kicks). I also find being on the ball of the foot makes follow-ups easier. I am a big fan of same side kicking right after a teep.

Also, Keep in mind I am describing a drill, and I think it is good to practice this teep drill on the ball of the foot, because it is a bit harder to maintain balance. So even if you are a flat-footed teeper, you can benefit from some practice on the ball, because it will really make flat-footed teeping feel solid.
    Didn't mean to take your drill out of context, this is just something I've been wondering about so I decided to ask. 'Preciate the info. [/thread derail]
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12