Last edited by nayr01; 3/29/2007 10:17pm at . Reason: deliting

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your hands are way too far away from your face when you throw the series of strikes in the intro of the film. Keep that guard up, even when throwing a lot of strikes.

You bend over and lead with your head rather than bending at the waist to throw bodyshots.

You drop both of your hands to throw the push kick at 15 seconds.

When you throw jabs at about 23-24 seconds, your jab, let your hand drop, then return it to your face. Work on letting it go in and out at a straight line, or else you'll get hit.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 9:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Your hands are way too far away from your face when you throw the series of strikes in the intro of the film. Keep that guard up, even when throwing a lot of strikes.

You bend over and lead with your head rather than bending at the waist to throw bodyshots.

You drop both of your hands to throw the push kick at 15 seconds.

When you throw jabs at about 23-24 seconds, your jab, let your hand drop, then return it to your face. Work on letting it go in and out at a straight line, or else you'll get hit.
    You mean bending at the knees?

I'll probably come back later and give a more extensive critique, but for now I'd just like to say...

don't just go up to the bag and aimless throw a bajillion punches and kicks. It doesn't really serve a lot of purpose (especially on a wavemaster) technique wise. When you do bagwork, try to work intelligently, working on specific elements of fighting and always try to imagine that the bag is moving around and going to fight back. It's also generally a good idea to have a coach critiquing your bag work at least somewhat regularly to make sure you're getting the most out of the workout.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 9:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops, yeah. I had two thoughts there. I was trying to say "Stop bending at the waist and leading with your head" and I ended up just sounding retarded. Thanks for catching that.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 9:17pm

Style: Wrestling/BJJ/Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the help about the coach thing a guy from the ultiment fighter 3 as well as a few other mma kickboxers and bjj guys opend up a gym close to where i live so im gona start going their soon hopefully

poser

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 10:35pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On an unrelated note, just out of curiosity of course, what's TKD wrestling?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 10:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure he meant TKD and Wrestling
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 12:57am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr01
    please give me tips or drills i could do to get beter
    In terms of overall "bagmanship" (Trademark pending), Kid is right about just sitting in there and wailing on the thing. That bag would have kicked your ass if it had arms. Treat it like an opponent. If you drop your hands, it will clock you. Move into striking range, throw, and then get out. A big mistake I see a lot of students do (some not so new) is dropping their hands to "shake out the shoulders" or just generally rest while still in range of the bag. Would you do that in the ring with a live opponent? Step back, get up on your toes, and then you can drop your hands and shake out. When you get back in there, it's business time.

Other then that, I would say your biggest general technical problem is the hand dropping that occurs while throwing body shots and teeping (as has been mentioned).

In terms of drills to help this:

Work body shots with a focus pad-holder who also has a belly pad. They get you to dig in for a body shot hook, and hit you with their opposite side mit. If you're dropping the off hand, you're gonna get clocked. As was stated, when delivery the body shot, bend in the legs so to minimize the amount that you're dropping your hands to throw the punch. Straight boxers will often bend right down so a body shot is akin to throwing a straight cross in terms of arm angle (ie: straight out instead of a downward angle) In MT, you have to be a little more careful with this, and need to have decent timing to pull of body punches. You don't want to drop your head to low as it could get kicked off.

For dropping your hands while you teep, try sets of 10 of repetitive teeps on the bag. What this means is you start teeping left, and you get a rythm going, teeping the bag out, and then teeping it every time it swings back. These aren't power teeps, just working on smoothness of technique and getting the proper hip motion down. If you are teeping left, you should be up on the ball of your right foot the entire time. Feel that calf burn. Now, the important part for you, is to make sure that every teep you throw, at least one hand is back at homebase, and not thrown down into a thrusting motion like your in a brothel with a nickel you've found.

Hope these two drills help. If you can't get a partner for the first one, just work on bending in the knees for body shots on the bag, and try to make sure your other hand is protecting the face.

Oh, and a bonus one... your chin is poking out too much. Try pinning a tennis ball or hacky sack to your chest with your chin while you work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 8:01am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and one other thing... your attacking is extremely linear, which is part and parcel with your throwing style. Try working some angles. You definitely need a coach to watch over this and give you drills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 9:06am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My thoughts mirror everyone elses, especially kidspatula's....

SLOW DOWN! Don't throw just for the sake of throwing. Its better to throw 5 strikes correctly than throw 50 sloppily.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast