Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2003 5:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did a google search on "Active Isolated streching" and came across this site. Seems to discuss what this thread is about.

http://www.aistretch.com/exercises.htm

It seems that streching is a rather deep topic. Any tips, advice or book recomendations are appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2003 11:28am

Style: Big Cans O' Whoopass!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On stretching vs. warming up: You can't properly stretch a muscle unless it is already warm. Cold stretching will rip and tear your muscles causing long term damage. I don't EVER do this.

Stretching between sets: it is like taking a glass out of the oven (muscles are warm from working) and putting it in the Freezer (stretching or expanding the muscle) what happens? It will crack and/or explode, the same is true of muscles. Some people recommend not stretching for at least three hours away from the time that you lift weights. I personally follow this rule of thumb.

Basically, I don't stretch cold, I less than three hours before or three hours after lifting that muscle group. Now, what I do usually do, in order to take full advantage of my time at the gym... is if I am doing an upper body muscle group, I stretch my lower body between sets. If I am doing a lower body muscle group I stretch upper body between sets.

Posted On:
    10/14/2003 2:15pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you recommend waiting for three hours before stretching after doing a couple hours of grappling also?

Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to say in the first sentence of your third paragraph. If you could clarify it that'd be awesome.

Jesus Christ was really an ancient astronaut.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Posted On:
    10/14/2003 3:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best time to stretch is when your muscles are warm, everyone agrees on that.
    Stretching your muscles when they are cold is wrong, everyone agrees on that.
    Yoga students and gymnasts, have the best flexability, they stretch very slowly and use static not ballistic stretches.
    Warming above is best done by slowly doing the exersice you will be performing and gradually increasing the pace.
    Never over extend, never over stretch, always leave the more intense stretching (splits and the advanced stuff) till the end of the workout, make it part of your cool down.

Posted On:
    10/14/2003 3:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best time to stretch is when your muscles are warm, everyone agrees on that.
    Yoga students and gymnasts, have the best flexability, they stretch very slowly and use static not ballistic stretches.
    Warming above is best done by slowly doing the exersice you will be performing and gradually increasing the pace.
    Never over extend, never over stretch, always leave the more intense stretching (splits and the advanced stuff) till the end of the workout, make it part of your cool down.

Posted On:
    10/14/2003 3:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12