Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 3:13am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kick Catch Defense

There are several defences to having your kick caught, and they are mostly dependent on how "deep" the kick is caught, and how tight the grab.

If the catch is loose and/or your reaction early. You can retract the roundkick a little, and turn it into a teep. This is a good technique against a tired opponent who is too gassed to shield your kick, and lazily just grabbing at it as a last defence.

If the catch is closer to the foot end of the leg, then a breaking the leg at the knee and twisting/whipping out (as Kid mentioned) is a possibility. Here you have to watch for power hands coming over the top as you do so. When I do this one, I usually end up running away a few steps in the process. Not the prettiest defense, but could save your noodle.

If the kick is caught high on the leg/thigh, then "threading the leg through" is an option. Essentially you push through and down with your leg, and grab the head for a clinch. As soon as the grasp is broken on the leg and the head is grabbed, it helps to shoot the hips back preparing for the knee.

Another strategy against a known kick catcher is to set up the overhand superman punch. You lazily throw up a power side kick, and as they drop their hand/arm to grab the kick, you shoot it back and throw the superman punch. Some people with particularly strong upperbodies can pull of a damaging punch even with the leg being caught. This isn't a great option, as you don't want to end up boxing on one leg with someone who is on both feet, but if you can pinpoint a shot on the chin it might be worth the risk.

Flashier stuff from muay boran would be if the opponent has grasped the leg extremely tight. Then you can collapse the leg completely so your knee is between you and your opponent (this actually isn't bad for sport Muay Thai) but the flash part is then using the caught leg as leverage to elevate up and on your opponent, setting up a spike elbow to the top of the head. Kind of hard to describe, but hope that makes sense. This is something I have used for demos, and is kinda of neat, however unpractical.
    Last edited by Torakaka; 3/08/2007 3:27am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 3:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    Then you can collapse the leg completely so your knee is between you and your opponent (this actually isn't bad for sport Muay Thai)
    Forgot to mention that the body is turned sideways, so the leg/shin runs across your opponents abdomen.

Werd

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 3:31am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by octaviousbp
    Forgot to mention that the body is turned sideways, so the leg/shin runs across your opponents abdomen.

Werd
    I used this in one of my last fights actually, but kinda failed to do anything useful from it.

I also did something similar to this as a defense against getting kneed (shin across the pelvic region kinda thing which was shown to me at some point by one of my instructors) yesterday but got sweeped pretty easy :(
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 3:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I used this in one of my last fights actually, but kinda failed to do anything useful from it.

I also did something similar to this as a defense against getting kneed (shin across the pelvic region kinda thing which was shown to me at some point by one of my instructors) yesterday but got sweeped pretty easy :(
    To the first point: Yes, this is primarily a defensive position, however there are a few options. What you are essentially doing by laying the knee/shin across there core is trying to eliminate knees. This can allow you to begin some elbow play without worrying too much about getting kneed. The good thing about elbows is that they don't necessarily require a lot of power generation to be damaging... which is good, because in this position it is hard to generate much power.

It is definitely a vulnerable position, so it helps to use it with your back to the ropes to help out with balance. Secondly, if the knee/shin + your grip is tight on their head/neck, it is awfully difficult for them to kick with any power for the cut. However, if they are able to make space somehow, that is when you can run in to trouble.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 3:51am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I imagine the move would be far more useful with a fight that allowed elbows ( modified thai rules is what I tend to fight ). Do you know some other follow ups would be good for a fight that didn't allow for elbows? I find myself wanting to defend knees like this often since I don't generally like to fight in the clinch but don't really have any decent follow ups for when I do use this.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 8:45am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome stuff.

But where's the option to kick them in the head with the other leg?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 11:33am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favorite is a variation of your second one. In stead of "running away" just keep turning and throw a spinning back fist. This has the added bonus of landing on the side that the guy was holding your leg. AKA his hands are down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 12:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Do you know some other follow ups would be good for a fight that didn't allow for elbows?
    When I say this is a defensive position, I mean that what you are trying to accomplish mostly is a break. Here in Thailand, the refs (who usually have a bazillion fights experience) won't put up with too much inactivity in the clinch. So you are actively stalling the clinch for a break. As mentioned, elbow play is a best case scenario. In non-elbow matches, if your opponent hasn't grabbed the leg to try and shuck it off, you can look for a dump by pulling the neck downwards on the same side as your raised leg, and simultaneously bring your leg knee down, hopefully using it as leverage for the dump. It's hard to describe in writing, but I guess what I mean is that you pull on the neck, which brings them closer to your knee shin, almost pinning them to it. You then can pull in conjunction with bringing your leg down. If they are succesfully pinned to your leg, they might go down with it. Not gonna lie, not an easy dump since you are only on one leg, but it could be something to think about.

Long and the short of it, is use this against someone with really good clinch knees that are overwhelming, and look for the break. It's an alternative to a basic tight body lock, and looks a little more proactive in the eyes of the judges.

In terms of spinning backfists, it is an option, but careful on some amateur cards cause they may be illegal. CAMTAO (the Ontario MT sanctioning body) has (had maybe?) a rediculous rule for A class fights that allowed spinning elbows, but no spinning backfists. As you can imagine, anytime some one threw a spinning backfist, they would claim it was just an elbow that was misjudged. Pretty hard to pick apart the difference in my opinion. And no, I have no idea why they would allow one and not the other in the first place. Some peoples children....

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 1:26am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In sanshou sparring, I sometimes try to get a guillotine if the leg grab is deep. It makes it hard for them to dump you into the ground with power.