Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 1:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thankfully, I didn't do a ke?po that involved self slapping. We had someone visit the school who did slap himself and he explained it as a reminder and a tool for drilling chambering into 'muscle memory' (no arguments about muscle memory, please) and as a way to distract your opponent. I'm not sure if it was the sound or the movement or what that was supposed to be a distraction. It never really distracted me.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 2:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is also a kung fu system called Splashing Hands in which practitioners slap themselves. Have a look at the clips on this site:

http://www.manchesterkungfu.com/syllabus3/index.html

I could be wrong, but according to what I have read, there was some connection between this Splashing Hands and Parker's Kempo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 2:43pm

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    How is it unavoidable? Keeping your hands up and bringing them back on guard in between strikes instead of chambering them seems perfectly sound to me.
    That's what I meant - I just wasn't sure what to call it.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    Thankfully, I didn't do a ke?po that involved self slapping. We had someone visit the school who did slap himself and he explained it as a reminder and a tool for drilling chambering into 'muscle memory' (no arguments about muscle memory, please) and as a way to distract your opponent. I'm not sure if it was the sound or the movement or what that was supposed to be a distraction. It never really distracted me.
    I think the fact that he thought committing chambering your hands after striking to muscle memory as a GOOD thing speaks volumes in itself.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 3:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was a little taken aback that we trained from a 'fighting stance' (at upper levels, at least).

The chambering idea is almost another issue - yes, momentum is a good thing for a strike, but why at your ribs???
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 3:12pm

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    I think the fact that he thought committing chambering your hands after striking to muscle memory as a GOOD thing speaks volumes in itself.
    What do you consider "chambering"? I take it you mean something other than returning your hand to a ready position.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The slapping should be dropped. We never did it at my school but yeah I saw Kimo do it a bunch. I just don't see any purpose in it. If it is supposed to teach a skill, then that skilll is probably best learnt some other way.

I don't understand how in kempo one technique is simultaneously teaching you 40 different things. Such as you slap yourslef when you unch to teach parrying or trapping or whatever.

Learn how to strike the kempo way, trap the kempo way, block the kempo way, etc.. as different skills. Then put it all together in free form drills or some alive training. I don't learn an armbar in BJJ and then get told I'm learning a triangle choke at the same time. I learn all my moves separately, or in a progression (ie. if he defends the choke go for armbar or move position blah lah blah....)

Slapping yourself when you strike means your hands aren't able to do something else, like guard your ribs or jaw.

If it is found to have some purpose, learn that skill separately.

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 3:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you consider "chambering"? I take it you mean something other than returning your hand to a ready position.
    In this context, returning the hand from an extended position (post strike) to a position where it could slap the chest, ribs, or bicep.

In actual use, I'd used 'chambering' to mean the place where something is immediately before or after a strike. Like teaching kicks to complete beginners - lift the knee to a chambered position, extend the foot, retract the foot while keeping the knee in a chambered position, return the foot to the ground.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :::How Do Chamber:::

Was always taught to me as bringing your fist, palm up alongside your ribs.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elky
    Chambered punch is bringing the fist back to your armpit or your hip before you punch. Basically it's how karate guys are taught to punch in a horse stance or a forward stance.
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast