Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 11:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

KAJUKENBO

Any opionions about this style?? I'm looking for a "traditional" style that is realistic in its techniques and training.

Also wanted to know if any Kanjukenbo folks had any inside info or personal experiences with the Kajukenbo school in San Antonio (http://www.stoneridgekajukenbo.com/).....

Nupe357
  2. OmegaBot

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 11:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BULL RUSH ON nupe357!!!

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never done it, but I'd suggest Judo.

Like everything else, the realism of the techniques and training depends heavily on the individual schools. I'm afraid I can't help you with that particular schools, but I've worked with and been impressed by kajukenbo folks before (of course, I come from a ke?po background, so I'm easily impressed).

Why the draw toward a 'traditional' style?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 1:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oncelost:

Can't say that I can give a definitive answer to your question.

I've always been drawn to the "traditional" arts. Some of the things that folks label as "bullshido" are things that I don't mind: uniforms, ceremony, bowing, family atmosphere, etc. Ihave absolutely nothing against "non-traditional" arts (whatever the heck that means) but I haven't really developed an interest in them....However, who knows what will happen in the future??!!

Nupe357

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 1:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough. I was just curious - I don't believe tradition is a weakness unless and until it becomes a substitute for the continual testing process of one's self and one's martial art. For many people here, 'traditional' means "The founder of our system, who died 600 years ago, used this stuff to fight effectively, so I can too!" That isn't always the case, but it seems more prevalent among certain arts.

Give the kajukenbo a try! Don't forget to post a dojo review...
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kajukenbo is Ke?po with chinese titles and a Hawaiian flair :)
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 2:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No mullets + gorgeous beaches? I'm in.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 3:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bullshido. Prepare to have your misconceptions shattered.
    Quote Originally Posted by nupe357
    I've always been drawn to the "traditional" arts. Some of the things that folks label as "bullshido" are things that I don't mind: uniforms, ceremony, bowing, family atmosphere, etc. Ihave absolutely nothing against "non-traditional" arts (whatever the heck that means) but I haven't really developed an interest in them....However, who knows what will happen in the future??!!

Nupe357
    Firstly, a lot of those things aren't nescasarily bullshido. Bullshido is sub-par, unrealistic training.

Bear in mind most traditional arts are anything but. The tradition is artificial, designed to entice the layman with eastern mystique, and the promise of ancient deadly secrets. Fact is, a lot of the arts espoused here have more tradition than you'd believe. Wrestling is far older than most 'traditional' arts, so is judo, Boxing, muay thai, savate, even BJJ and SAMBO ('modern' combat sports) are older than a lot of the stuff out there.

So you have to ask yourself, why are you attracted to 'tradition' in the first place? Be honest with yourself about what you want from your training.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 3:17pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kajukenbo is ghey, everybody I've ever talked to who does kajukenbo is ghey. Since you're asking about it you're ghey. Ghhhhhhhhey.......

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 3:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the most subtle pick-up line I've ever heard from you, Omega...

BTW, one of the folks I was impressed with was a stunningly gorgeous gal with ginormous gazangas...she and my wife do unspeakably naughty things together (at least in my head), so I guess you're right after all.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast