Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2007 8:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, freeze tag is awesome!

Second, your question of 'does chi exist' is unanswerable owing to the lack of a definition.

If chi boils down to human anatomical or physiological structures or processes, then lets those of us in the english speaking world (with a touch of latin) just stick with those definitions.

If chi is used to describe sensations of relaxation, calm, focus, good mental health, etc. then that's fine too. While it may be a bit silly to talk about 'gathering your chi' when you could say 'think less and focus on your breathing', if people know what you mean, fantastic.

I think that many people would like to hold onto the more metaphysical meaning, but faced with no actual way to prove it in such terms, they discuss the 'manifestations' of chi as relaxation, focus, not hurting your hand when you break a board or whatever.

Having said that, I do not think that chi exsists in-so-far as I do not think there is anything seperable and unknown that my current understanding of the word 'chi' would describe. I think the lack of pain from breaking a board is a very explainable function of how the nervous system works and how my brain registers pain, coupled with the physics of the break. There are many unknowns in the universe, I just don't think chi covers any of them.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 10:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 4:19am

Style: WW2 H2H Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well according to Yang Jwing Ming "Dim Mak" is somewhat of a misnomer. In one of his books on Chin na ( i don't remember the title but it's the one where he's applying a finger lock), "Dim mak" is divided into a couple of seperate categories: sealing the vein,cavity press, & I believe the last is sealing the breath. Now regardless what you think about chin na, the part about dim mak is interesting to say the least. At no time does he mention anything like dying in three days or any nonsense like that. All of the techniques are supposed to have immediate effects. He also makes no mention of chi being involved. He does however mentions two things of importance concerning it. 1.) the person has to apply the appropriate level of jing ( I think most people here now what that is but if you don't it's explosive power ), & the person must now the exact location. He even gives about 20 or so examples of "dim mak". All of which I truly think would work in real life. Applying them in self defense may be another matter.

In one technique called twisting the chickens head, the person applying the technique pushes the recivers head straight back so that the persons face is straight up, the applyer then twists the head violently to the side thus breaking the individuals neck. I have no doubt this would work & you won't either if you tilt your own head back as far as possible & gently twist to the side. The bone structure will not support the force exerted by a moderately powerful twist in this position.

Another technique demonstrated is where he forms an eagle claw with his hand,places the finger tips to either side of the adams apple, presses deeply & then squeezes with jing. The recipients head is also immobilized so that the head cannot escape quickly. The hyoid bone ( or whatever it's called) flips over & as a result of this, permanently sealing of the oxygen supply.

So it appears by his explanation at least, that "DIM MAK" is not the application of some mystical force that kills at a later date but is instead attacks on the body at weak points designed to cause massive trauma.

At this point I want to state two things.
    1.) I have never tried to use these so I obviously can't speak to how effective these techniques are on an unwilling aggressor but the techniques themselves seem to be sound so far as I, a layman on anatomy, understand .

2.) As was said much earlier in the post, these techniques are to learned after the student is competent in defending himself. Again this means that you have to already know your **** to begin with to apply them effectively.

Dim Mak as most people know it probably never existed in or out of martial arts circles & instead was probably a gest, joke, or way to intimidate other individuals by Sifu in the past.
    Last edited by doktorhook; 7/12/2007 4:22am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 8:24am

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is about what we've said for the 16 pages this thread was.

Note also that what you describe as "twisting the chicken's head", I use to crack my neck (bad habit, I know, but it feels so good). It can take "some" amount of pressure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 7:38pm

Style: WW2 H2H Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah i have a bad habit of popping my neck too & now I'm sufferig for it. I need to see a chiropracter or something. Anyway I have a feeling your head isn't all the way back because when when I did it I detected a distinct, sharp, feeling that indicated to me that there wasn't much there in that position to support the skull from being twisted around. I would suggest pulling back on your hair with one hand while VERY GENTLY Twisting. The hair pulling will ensure your head is all the way back. Perhaps my neck is just mest up that bad, but at the time I experimented with it I wasn't having any problems. Like all techniques though, I'm sure it's more difficult to apply to a resistant partner.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 9:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    I don't think we can factor in the effect of something that, as yet, has not been shown to exist.

Quoted for truth (unless you're going for the "dead in three days" garbage).
    Could it be possible, if untreated, for someone to bleed to death in three days time? Or to create significant clotting to cause an aneurism at a later date? Death is not alway instantaneous. So dying three days later is not that unrealistic. For a technique to always result in a three day delayed death would however be impressive. Of course you could tickle someone and three days later blast them with a shotgun. This could be a "kill them without actually touching them" type thing.
    :suicide:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 11:30pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it's called: first you get your ass kicked, then you poison someone's soup three days later and claim they died from an overdose of your martial fury.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guizzy
    This is about what we've said for the 16 pages this thread was.

Note also that what you describe as "twisting the chicken's head", I use to crack my neck (bad habit, I know, but it feels so good). It can take "some" amount of pressure.
    I "twisted the chickens head" earlier today.

:5oh:
    :5squeeze:
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516