Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 5:38am

Style: Xing-Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    I'm not sure you could single anyone out who likes to spar in a cage just because, but kicking with Thai shorts on is about as comfy as you can get, so training in them is always legit (unless you know, you have to grapple a lot).
    But you gotta admit, having Thai shorts with a bunch of Thai sayings on it and you are white as well, me, is pretty LARP. Dont speak the language? Keep it off your tats and your clothes I say.

I am late to the forum, but I hate PJs of any kind along with belts and other nonsense.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can get thai shorts with no letters on them.

that's what i did when i was training there. no LARPing then.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 9:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mei tu quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    you can get thai shorts with no letters on them.

that's what i did when i was training there. no LARPing then.
    Unless you're LARPing as a "for real" Thai boxer.

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 1:09pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a good thing my dad taught me rudimentary Thai or else I'd be fucked... wait... I don't do Muay Thai anyways. Oh well, just in case, neh?

The idea that the cage fighters are LARPers is a concept I never thought of. Tickles me funny.

And here's the thing with Kyokushin/Karate wearing the Gi... there's no reason. We're total LARPers and luvin' it. We even train in snow and under waterfalls if we can find them. It's all part of the "Karate Experience" Oyama laid out for us, I guess. Karate people like the whole "Osu" Spirit thing (me too) it's not chi, it's just "How tough can I make myself?" And what's tough to do? Have a class in snow under a waterfall wearing a gi. The thing is, with Kyokushin, a lot is kind of philisophical and stuff I think the thing is, after some Ichigeki training Karate still does well in K-1 so we're not called on it alot. IMHO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 1:14pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me it's only LARP if you're pretending to be something you aren't. What does it say if you wear the Thai shorts or if I wear a kung fu uniform. That we are students of our respective styles? Doesn't sound like LARPing to me. Now if we were wearing Ninja outfits then that would be a different story. :p

software engineer

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhomp
    But you gotta admit, having Thai shorts with a bunch of Thai sayings on it and you are white as well, me, is pretty LARP. Dont speak the language? Keep it off your tats and your clothes I say.

I am late to the forum, but I hate PJs of any kind along with belts and other nonsense.
    The vast majority of shorts made with the same material and the same cut as Thai boxing shorts have Muay Thai printed on them. It's like wifebeaters -- the vast majority are white cotton -- if you're looking for anything close to it, it's easy to end up with the popular item.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 9:00am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, not to raise a sensitive subject, but I noticed that noone has said anything about the student uniforms that were all the rage during the first half of the 20th Century. Since many of the educational systems in China and Japan were heavily influenced by military themes its common to see many folks representing personalities of that era wearing white shirts, military blouses and even ties. Perhaps today's moden MA uniforms are a way of modifying these military uniforms in much the same way as Japanese gi-s are effectively students practicing in their under garments with the out robes removed. Thoughts?

BTW: Has anyone done any checking into turn-of-the-century photos (C. 1900 or so) to see if there are any folks wearing the sorts of clothing under discussion and who those folks might have been? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

software engineer

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glad2bhere
    Ah, not to raise a sensitive subject, but I noticed that noone has said anything about the student uniforms that were all the rage during the first half of the 20th Century. Since many of the educational systems in China and Japan were heavily influenced by military themes its common to see many folks representing personalities of that era wearing white shirts, military blouses and even ties. Perhaps today's moden MA uniforms are a way of modifying these military uniforms in much the same way as Japanese gi-s are effectively students practicing in their under garments with the out robes removed. Thoughts?

BTW: Has anyone done any checking into turn-of-the-century photos (C. 1900 or so) to see if there are any folks wearing the sorts of clothing under discussion and who those folks might have been? Comments?
    Classically, Chinese education systems are tutor-based, with the goal of passing an exam system based on the classics (essays, poetry, etc.), to test for govermental positions. Military education was fairly esoteric, the province of the ruling class.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2007 9:26am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking more along the lines of those schools and academies sponsored by the government or occupying government during the 20th Century. I don't like using movies as a resource, but the old Bruce Lee film ("Fist of Fury") and even its Jet Li remake show the hero dressed in school uniform. Thats why I was a little reluctant to raise the subject since there are still today people who react to any suggestion that the Japanese Occupation influenced their martial traditions.

Also, I wonder if we need to specify the area and/or art we are discussing when we talk about a uniform since I see some very distinct differences in various dress between Northern and Southern Traditions as well as TCC, Shaolin, and BAQUA/HSING-I folk. Might it be that different traditions has different motives for their dress and different origins? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234