Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 12:39pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replys. Just wondering because a new schoo popped up about a couple of years ago called Maury's Kung Fu where their advertisement posters are red gi's and instructors are billed as "Second Black Sash of the Highest Quality" or something like that. I wrote it off as McDojo or McKwoon or whatever and forgot about it, this thread reminded me about them.

I also would like to note that Judo's sort of Sister Art Shuai Jiao has very classy uniforms... if you're built like a rock. I mean, the sleeveless vest thing works if you actually got anything to show off. Plus, in many many videos from France and China on the web I see color variation of the lining of the jacket and wondered, since it's a competition-based art are those ranking colors?

And when I went to China, a lot of people wore those black slipper-shoes, so training in them (if you plan on living in China) is like training in sneakers, if evil ninja-mugger gotcha in the street you'd be wearing those half the time.

And is there a general concensus that ranking systems are bad because even though some of you incorporate them, it was only because other tournaments wanted you too?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 12:51pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally don't care one way or the other, but rank is not the purpose of training. CMAs didn't traditionally identify rank in school, but I don't think its seen as a bad thing.

And I've heard of Maury's before while looking around the area at what's offered. It could very well provide some good instruction but I haven't been there myself so I wouldn't know. I personally don't think them using colored sashes is an indicator of the quality of instruction. One of my friends went to a kung fu school that used colored sashes for rank and the place was very solid. I sparred a lot with him before he transferred out of my college.
    Last edited by sidran; 3/07/2007 12:54pm at .

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 1:00pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sidran
    I personally don't care one way or the other, but rank is not the purpose of training. CMAs didn't traditionally identify rank in school, but I don't think its seen as a bad thing.

And I've heard of Maury's before while looking around the area at what's offered. It could very well provide some good instruction but I haven't been there myself so I wouldn't know. I personally don't think them using colored sashes is an indicator of the quality of instruction. One of my friends went to a kung fu school that used colored sashes for rank and the place was very solid. I sparred a lot with him before he transferred out of my college.
    You're probably right, I'm just used to new McDojo's popping up more than new good places. Mass doesn't exactly have the best track record with TMA schools... I have a vacation so I might spend a practice class over there to see for sure. Plus, it's the first CMA school in the area that I've heard of so that'll be a little interesting.

One of the reasons I asked about the ranking thing is when I questioned a Kung Fu (Seven Star Mantis something or other) Guy online he said he didn't do ranks because it was very un-Chinese and Traditional and I thought that was sort of a silly reason not to let students know where they're at and for competitions, y'know?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 1:07pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well typically, students and instructors would know each other well enough to have an understanding of where you are at. Some people do prefer having a ranking system in place, though.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Advertising. Simple minds need to SEE something so people wore Chinese dress, to look like the movies or like Asians. Very good point about the Tuxedo for demos as well.

All that aside, a "uniform" for a martial art sets the mood and the seriousness for training in the gym. When you put on your Thai lettered shorts, your Gi, or even just gloves and shin guards, it sets your mind to the business at hand. When your instructor looks sharp in their Uniform, decorated with their earned ranks, "medals" of valor (patches), and possibly some cultural styling, it fosters some respect and sets the leadership position. This is true everywhere, its why police have a hat and a badge, why businessmen wear suits, and why the military has both combat fatigues and dress blues (or whatever your branch calls them, I am SURE some kids have joined up just to wear the dress Uniform and get girls, yes?). So American Chinese arts had to make something up.

Now this borderlines on LARPing. Most people on here see it squarely as LARPing, but they generally also love to wear Thai shorts and enjoy sparring in a cage, yet will NEVER compete, so they are also LARPing (i.e playing dress up and acting like something they are not). The big question about LARPing should be the effectiveness of the system to reach the goal it puts forward for itself. and how does the funny costume fit into that goal.

Dr. Leung Ting taught that WT was always growing and developing itself to be cutting edge (argue that point elsewhere please!) and so it was not stagnant or frozen in time. In contrast, most Asian styles refused to violate their tradition, and thus had not changed over time. The WT student training uniform is always modern athletic wear. It does have some color coding to ID ranks, which helps traveling instructors group people in a seminar and lets new people know which people to go ask questions too. In group photos it shows across the .net at what degree each person is. These are all valid and important aspects. BUT the outfit is modern sports wear. The slippers are even modernized for the purpose of keeping the feet clean, but preventing you from relying on the support from your shoes/high tops.

Ting actually mocked the "ancient costumes” some styles wear. He called it "Martial Art Theater" and said they must be "acting" like martial arts people from the past or from movies. The Gi is a great tool for throwing and ground fighting, so BJJ/Judo gets a pass, but could it not be modernized for other striking arts? (note: the Atama Gi I won on here is very modernized for grappling: thick lapel, thinned waist section, double leg fronts, stiching, etc..). Sashes and pajama outfits? FMA vests? Karate/TKD needs a kimono jacket? So you can look at the outfit and see at what century they froze their style in time.

Lastly, there are cultural reasons too. In WT, under Leung Ting, a first degree rank, Technician, begins wearing a Kimono type jacket and pants with a stripe. (In EBMAS we don't use these jackets anymore). WT is Chinese in origin and so still maintains some of the cultural aspects for terminology (like Latin is used in science), for ranking (familial piety terms), and for the "tuxedo" effect with the Kimono Jacket. In general, the jacket comes off in training/sparring, but will be worn in videos of such things, which leads to confusion as to how often we wear them. Techs in general wear Tank Tops because the fingers tend to catch inside short sleeves and tear them open. This special uniform is a sign of rank and also a small cultural token of respect. It just sets the Instructor apart from the student, for when strangers walk in and look around.

:XXfish:

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 3:58pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Omar once pointed out that those fancy silks are essentially the version of a tuxedo. You know, from before Chinese people just wore tuxedos.

Example.

One would wear them for demonstrations or other formal events. For training, though? Lord, no.

My sifu has been known to mock people for dressing "like Chinese waiters." Bless his heart.
    *You* might wear a tuxedo for a night on the town... Thus the lycra for me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 5:08pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about our agreement to wear matching outfits?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 5:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Lastly, there are cultural reasons too. In WT, under Leung Ting, a first degree rank, Technician, begins wearing a Kimono type jacket and pants with a stripe. (In EBMAS we don't use these jackets anymore). WT is Chinese in origin and so still maintains some of the cultural aspects for terminology (like Latin is used in science), for ranking (familial piety terms), and for the "tuxedo" effect with the Kimono Jacket. In general, the jacket comes off in training/sparring, but will be worn in videos of such things, which leads to confusion as to how often we wear them. Techs in general wear Tank Tops because the fingers tend to catch inside short sleeves and tear them open. This special uniform is a sign of rank and also a small cultural token of respect. It just sets the Instructor apart from the student, for when strangers walk in and look around.

:XXfish:
    Does a Master of Almightiness have a different uniform from a Master of Comprehension?

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 7:18pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    What about our agreement to wear matching outfits?
    *SIGH*

This is how we end up wearing silk PJ's Every. Damn. Time!!!11

:angryfire

software engineer

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 1:27am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Most people on here see [uniforms] squarely as LARPing, but they generally also love to wear Thai shorts and enjoy sparring in a cage, yet will NEVER compete, so they are also LARPing
    I'm not sure you could single anyone out who likes to spar in a cage just because, but kicking with Thai shorts on is about as comfy as you can get, so training in them is always legit (unless you know, you have to grapple a lot).
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast