Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd of fucked her.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 4:14pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's wrong with wearing a little lycra?

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 4:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tito thinks they're fabulous.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 4:46pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar once pointed out that those fancy silks are essentially the version of a tuxedo. You know, from before Chinese people just wore tuxedos.

Example.

One would wear them for demonstrations or other formal events. For training, though? Lord, no.

My sifu has been known to mock people for dressing "like Chinese waiters." Bless his heart.

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best example ever. You are the man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 11:25pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Omar once pointed out that those fancy silks are essentially the version of a tuxedo. You know, from before Chinese people just wore tuxedos.

Example.

One would wear them for demonstrations or other formal events. For training, though? Lord, no.

My sifu has been known to mock people for dressing "like Chinese waiters." Bless his heart.
    That's what we do. For training, we just have heavy cotton gi-like pants, shoes, t-shirt, and a sash. Silk stuff is for demonstrations.

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 12:32am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kind of interested, do you guys do rankings at all? Like colored sashes or is that too Jap or just McDojo CMA schools? And sidran: aren't the sashes made of silk?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 1:29am

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our sashes are not. I don't know exactly what they're made of, but it's not silk. I think it's polyester or something, but I don't know since there's no tag.

Our school does not use colored sashes for ranks. That's just something adapted from the Japanese to fit in with the popular colored belt idea. Our sashes are there "to support your back and keep your pants up." We use our own ranking system, based on buttons on our uniform tops (which we only wear when bowing in and out and demos, not during training. Originally, though, when the school was first founded, there was no ranking system. It was only put in place because organizers of tournaments and whatnot didn't like not having a concrete, official way of identifying seniority in the school.
    Last edited by sidran; 3/07/2007 1:32am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 8:17am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to smile sometimes when I hear about the use of belts, since actually belts are not really than much of Asian dress, at least in Northern climes. Of course, the idea of using them to identify a prticular level of practice has become wide-spread across many arts. However, where I become most amused is when people speak of "belt" or "rope" techniques as in Hapkido. Most of the binding techniques had much more to do with using the cord or "jul" from which a warrior might have suspended his sheath. A quick survey of Asian dress, especially Korean dress on the battlefield does not reveal much in the way of "belts" as part of standard dress. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese
    Kind of interested, do you guys do rankings at all? Like colored sashes or is that too Jap or just McDojo CMA schools? And sidran: aren't the sashes made of silk?
    Our school recognizes two uniforms "officially" -

Daily wear/training Japanese style uniform, either karategi, keikogi, judogi, whatever-gi, color irrespective (though we lean heavily toward the black and indigo fabrics; white gets dirty too quickly, though that's not to say folks who had a white uniform previously are forbidden from wearing it). We wear Japanese style belts as well, colored to match our training categories -

White = Novice (basic foundation)
    Yellow = Beginner (basic Baixingquan)
    Blue = Junior (basic Xingyiquan)
    Green = Intermediate (basic Taijiquan)
    Brown = Advanced (basic Baguazhang)
    Black = Senior (advanced Baixingquan, Xingyiquan, Taijiquan and Baguazhang)
    Red = "Master" grade (we don't use that as a title ever)

The primary function of the obi is to provide immediate feedback on breathing techniques. The belt is tied very snugly just below the navel so that proper exhalations (which push the lower abdomen out; we call it "reverse breathing") are "rewarded" with a sensation of resistance against the belt.

Special occasions that require more formal, culturally identifiable garb, see us wearing "traditional" Chinese style uniforms. Our sashes are all handmade, typically out of fabric with at least a small amount of elasticity, allowing the sash to be wrapped snugly around the abdomen. Each sash is longer than the sash of the previous level, e.g. the white sash is about 3 feet long, the yellow is 6, blue is 9, etc. My black sash is around 20 feet long, and made from fabric that is partly lycra. It's all nice and pretty... :gay:

The secondary function of either belt or sash is to divide training groups up quickly. We don't have "rank" per se. Nobody "outranks" anybody else by virtue of a clothing accessory. What you can do on the mat, what knowledge you have, determines whether people take you seriously or not, though we do our very best to make sure that standards are maintained and people are worth a **** when they make higher belt levels...

I return you to your regularly scheduled whatever....

:new_sleep
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast