Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 9:37am

Style: Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Also, the criticism I'm looking for isn't "Well MY school does it different!" I don't care what your school does.
    That wasnt the point. The point was simply that an article like that needs to point out that all schools are not the same as the ones you are refering to!

I've been to schools up and down the east coast.
    Congratulations. I would also mention that the US run theirs schools very differently from other countries.. which may eb a reason why some of your points are more valid for US schools than eleware. Yes, the things you mention affect UK schools, but things like contracts are not the norm here for the majority of TKD schools, ATA have just broached the UK.. ie. there is 1 school using their system etc.

I've been to national tournaments. I competed in the ITF World Cup in 2004. I have a pretty damn good idea of what the majority of TKD schools will look like
    How can you gain impressions of schools training regimes from tournaments, one is wide open, the other is limited in the extreme!!!

and that's what I'm interested in giving my impression of.
    Hence why I suggested giving some background info, as ultimatly these are your impressions of schools you know of on the East Coast USA.. they are not indictive of TKD on a world scale, but Bullshido is a world web site/forum and others may take your personal insights as gospel, when they are not.

So edits will be coming up tommorow. Thanks for the feedback.
    It could be a decent article if its fair and rounded and take in the views of others to make it so! The first draft however, does not!

You asked for feedback and thats what this is!

Stuart

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 10:48am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartA
    Congratulations. I would also mention that the US run theirs schools very differently from other countries.. which may eb a reason why some of your points are more valid for US schools than eleware. Yes, the things you mention affect UK schools, but things like contracts are not the norm here for the majority of TKD schools, ATA have just broached the UK.. ie. there is 1 school using their system etc.
    Excellent point, for instance you mention that in TKD students will do a lot of forms and it will get very boring and repetitive. But my experience in Korea disagrees with this statement, we did forms one night a week the rest of the time was spent on conditioning, kicking drills and sparring. You should edit your write up to indicate that a lot of your points are indicative of U.S. schools.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, the criticism I'm looking for isn't "Well MY school does it different!" I don't care what your school does. I've been to schools up and down the east coast. I've been to national tournaments.
    Yeah, as has already been said, I think you just need to acknowledge how much of a mixed bag TKD can be. But I also think that you can say that this (how you describe it in your article) is a typical stripmall TKD school. Because it is.

Also, perhaps we should have this article focus on US TKD schools, and make that clear in the article?

Keep going, Kint, this has promise. Also, how was the contact level at ITF Worlds?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 12:35pm

Style: Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    But I also think that you can say that this (how you describe it in your article) is a typical stripmall TKD school. Because it is.
    Exactly my point, it may well be the case on the East Coast, but here (UK) we dont have nay stripmall martial art schools full stop. We have dodgy practices however, and these can be pointed out also (Id be happy to input in that area to make the article rounded)

Also, perhaps we should have this article focus on US TKD schools, and make that clear in the article?
    Good idea

Also, how was the contact level at ITF Worlds?
    And which ITF ran it? Also how does a World Cup differeniate from a World Championships btw? (not trying to derail the thread, just interested is all)

Stuart

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 4:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ITF world cup was one of the most disogranized tournaments I've been to. They ended up rolling the black belt 1st - 3rd dan and 124-155lb divisins all together. That was supposed to be 3 or 4 seperate divisions. So we had a 25 person division. My first opponent was 6'2", 155lbs, and a 3rd degree. Oleg Tratovsky (sp?) from Russia. Guy MAULED me. His arms were as long as my legs and he just boxed me to death. Bloodied my nose, blacked both my eyes, split my lip. He went on to tear everyone in the division apart. He easily won it. The contact level was about what I expect from most good ITF schools. Not MT quality but better than ATA or Olympic WTF. It was a good experience for me, I went away with a healthy respect for the Russian team for sure, and am impression of the US ITF organization is being incredibly disorganized.

And yes. This article is pointed primarily at east coast schools in the USA. If your area does it differently please write me a paragraph that tells where you're located and how schools in your area generall differ from my description. I will add that in as well.

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 4:59pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could a few people read the Taekwondo Wikipedia entry and give me your opinions on whether it would be ok to just link to that description. It appears to be spot on to me....

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 5:14pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, as you can see I've decided to let the Wiki entry take care of most of the details about the organizations and history. I looked over the page and couldn't see anything really wrong with the information there. And the purpose of the article isn't so much to inform about what TKD is as to let you know what TKD SCHOOLS will be like.

Now, I need people who are going to say "TKD isn't like this at my school/country/continent/planet/galaxy!" to write me a paragraph that shows how your TKD differs from that described in the article. You must give me AT LEAST one school name in the area that is representative of your Taekwondo.

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully this will end up being a useful and informative article for everyone and serve to show people what they will and won't get from TKD in various areas.

poser

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 5:31pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Wikipedia article is a pile of steaming ****, IIRC.

One thing about the snappy kicks though: if your foot is tight (as it should be anyway), your knee shouldn't end up taking much shock at all. Plus there are plenty of TKD practitioners in their 40s, 50s, etc... the master at my school (in his late 40s) has been training since he was 13 and his knees are fine. You should make it a bit clearer that this is not always the case.

Unfortunately your article does describe the "typical stripmall TKD" in the US. Of course, there are a number of schools that do do it differently, so you should be more explicit about this fact. Better yet, stick a disclaimer at the top in big red letters: "THIS DESCRIBES THE TYPICAL AMERICAN TAEKWONDO SCHOOL. VARIOUS PARTS OF THIS ARTICLE MAY OR MAY NOT PERTAIN TO DIFFERENT SCHOOLS."

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 6:01pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kwoww: You are not constructive. Please tell me what is wrong with the Wiki article. I frankly don't give a **** about the history of TKD. I'm more concerned with the future of it. So if you have an issue with the Wiki article please feel free to write me up a paragraph or two of history to go with this article.

Also, the article is an attempt to describe what someone looking for a TKD school is MOST LIKELY to encounter. If you don't believe that these points outline what you are most likely to run into then you need to get out more.

Also, enough TKD practitioners I know of in their late 30s and early 40s have had knee surgery to convince me that it is greater than average. I CLEARLY addressed this already by saying that many schools don't acknowledge it or talk about how to prevent it. That indicates that some schools do and that if people want to take TKD they should keep their knees in mind and ask about it. I'm glad your school has made sure to show you how not to blow your knees. Congratualtiosn. Now write me a paragraph about your school including the name and location (at least country and city) and I'll include it at the bottom of the article as a better than average TKD school.

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 8:54pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've also seen/heard a lot of knee injuries. It's practically the only thing Judo and TKD have in common, rampant knee problems.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast