Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 5:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoo! I look like Fedor! No wonder people always tell me "I thought you'd be taller Mr. Emilianenko."
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 7:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend this book for beginners:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 9:01pm

Style: not training/injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    I recommend this book for beginners:

Judo Gene's "surfboard" for the win!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 9:29pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a dream the other night in which I killed my old boss with an RNC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 10:21pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tip1) dont be "the spaz"
    tip2) tap even if you arent sure, better to give up early than to give up too late *snap*
    tip3) ask questions
    tip4) keep a training log, it really helps

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 10:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Books and videos are very helpful once you have a basis upon which to build.

Until then, they are pretty much just pretty pictures and movies.

Do the assistant instructors or you instructor "feed" you? By that I mean let you try out your repertoire and see if you can figure where to go.

Where I train, instead of just trashing you, instructors will typically try to help you along by letting you get position or try out some of what you have learned. That way, they can also help correct the little things.

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 9:48pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I got this one back during my "no contact karate" days to help come up with imaginative bunkai. Sensei was most impressed.

Who knew, Seienchin contains "the LeBellian Elbow and Shoulder lock." Ohss!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    For your edification.
    ^^^ What he said.

I'd also recommend (after and IF you begin to train) to get Passing The Guard and The Guard by Ed Beneville and Tim Cartmell as well as Grips (Judo Masterclass Techniques) by Neil Adams.

However, take this and any other recommendation on books with a grain of salt. If you have time and money to train regularly and yet spend more time reading than training, there is something fundamentally wrong in what you are doing.

Good luck.
    I'd like to stress how good Adam's "Grips" book really is. You should get it. And you should also get a pair of books from the "Judo Masterclass" series (except Kashiwazaki's "Osaekomi" - I don't like it.)

Yamashita's "Osoto-Gari", and Kashiwazaki & Nakanishi's "Attacking Judo - A Guide To Combinations and Counters" would be my picks if I were you. "Judo Unleashed" by Neil Ohlenkamp is another good reference. Though you are training in BJJ, there is stuff in those books that will help (in particular Adam's "Grips").

But remember, these are just references. They are useful only if you train consistently, methodically take notes, and ask questions to your instructor and your more experienced partners.

Among the many good suggestions that you've been given, there's been no mention of sprawling. Get comfortable with sprawling, work on your takedown defense (which may get neglected in class from time to time.)

Also get into the habit of ALWAYS, ALWAYS wash your gi, rashguards/shirts and shorts after every class. Get several gis (or pieces of clothing for no-gi) so that you always have your stuff clean and dry. That's a token of courtesy to your sparring partners as well as a precaution against ringworm and staph.

Good luck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12