221943 Bullies, 4045 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 361 to 370 of 394
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637 383940 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD is offline
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

    You are in a lot of trouble.

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,581

    Posted On:
    3/30/2007 6:21pm

    supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Do a search on his posts if you think it isn't a valid comment.
    Aw, I'm not saying he NEVER told dick jokes, now! From my perspective and limited communication with the guy, I think the "good cop" role he assumed (with encouragement) grew to overshadow the other stuff. My take is he was trying to offset a lot of the drama, backstage bullshit and shenanigans with the jovial act. As far as his issues with DHS, that stemmed as much from forum hijinx and dramatics as much as anything. Don't forget, too, that I primarily post for yucks 'n' laffs, preferring as I do to get my most of my technique help in the gym, so I'm a lot more forgiving of comedy-poo than others here. Anyway, you definitely have a point, but I just wanted to say something because I've seen the guy demonized after the fact by people who were more than happy to join in with all that stuff when he was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop
  2. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    3/30/2007 6:30pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The issue is that you can't criticize a group for not behaving according to a particular standard if while you were a part of the group you didn't either. I too enjoy frivolous banter, as I said I mainly troll the main forums now. However if you're going to leave in a huff and criticize the atmosphere as being insular, lacking objectivity etc you damn well better have behaved how youre extolling others to do.

    However, I have not nor have any desire to know what the hell goes on behind the scenes here. I doubt I'd find it funny.
  3. Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD is offline
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

    You are in a lot of trouble.

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,581

    Posted On:
    3/30/2007 6:36pm

    supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    However, I have not nor have any desire to know what the hell goes on behind the scenes here. I doubt I'd find it funny.
    Back in the day, it was entirely disheartening. I really mean that. But after I gave up any hope of this site making the tiniest difference, in retrospect? Fuckin' hilarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop
  4. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    3/30/2007 6:40pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the ****... the posts get monitored prior to posting?
    Dipshit changed my name as well. Nice to argue from a position of moral authority huh?
  5. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    3/30/2007 6:43pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Drgon
    Meaning I'll be asking questions as opposed to giving answers.
    What's contradictory about that?
    So, continued passive-aggressive drama-mongering?
  6. Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD is offline
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

    You are in a lot of trouble.

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,581

    Posted On:
    3/30/2007 6:47pm

    supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Wait, what?
    Rudy's editing me and Upa's posts, and his gay-ass forum is giving us messages saying our posts will be judged by the fag tribunal before being allowed to roam free in their smiley-infested bathhouse over there.

    BTW, I'm not using "gay-ass" and "fag" in the good way, like where two men like each other and kiss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop
  7. Phrost is offline
    Phrost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,120

    Posted On:
    3/30/2007 7:05pm

    Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
    Much as you're one of the few posters here I like, at least as much as one can have like feelings for white dots on a computer, I have to take issue. The "Ronin only tells dick jokes" meme was started to discredit him after his disillusionment with the way this place is run eclipsed his idealism and he left the site. He might not have ever been the best writer or a professional communicator, but I can remember him as having a knack for starting threads that might outline a few simple differences between kick styles or ask an obvious question or two that ended up with reasonably substantial discussion and things I found helpful. Of course, that was before 4/5ths of all the smart people left, too...

    Anyway, it's worth noting that Ronin's boner jokes and such were also absolutely a product of the forum culture of the time, and that his role as "good cop" as it were was totally encouraged, by both forum rank 'n' file as well as staff.
    This is categorically incorrect. Ronin was brought into the staff because he posted a lot and seemed like a mature, level-headed guy. People were bitching to me for months about Ronin's locker room-quality posting and the gimmick account invasion was largely a result of the forum's climate changing to reflect this.

    The forum climate was largely influenced by his posting style as a site Admin, because he set an example for everyone else. There was no "meme" started, it was obvious that he wanted this place to be a laid-back locker room kind of atmosphere. And when it became clear that we weren't going that route (in part by giving Aeso a forum to run with impunity) he left.

    But he's free to come on here and explain his actions himself, otherwise, it's all second hand bullshit.

    And, at least in my book, his advice, integrity and experience were so appreciated, and of a higher calibre, then other forum ghouls when focused more on actual martial content that one or two lines of substance went a long way toward purchasing forgiveness for 100 cracks about boobies or whatever.

    In addition, speaking as another former forum admin, I can't say I disagree much with what Manchu's saying, except for maybe emphasis. From reading his criticisms you'd think Phrost was some sort of mastermind manipulator, when the truth his he strikes me as a guy who just hops from one thing to the next without much thought or planning. Aside from (at least in the past) manufacturing an appearance of idealogical inclusiveness that in reality was designed to drive up membership totals, the worst you could accuse him of, evil-genius-wise, is just being really bad at spin after someone brings up the inevitable hypocrisies and inconsistencies left in a wake of bad judgment.
    Wow, tinfoil hat much? If I "hop from one thing to the next" it's because I'm not the fucking point of this website. When I participate here it's either in the capacity of a.) someone trying to keep **** running/organized/moving in the right direction, or b.) someone enjoying discussing things like anyone else.

    You were given an opportunity to affect a change, Hughes. You chose to squander it on being cryptic and speaking out the side of your face. Nobody knew where the **** you were coming from, so we just did the digital version of nodding at you and moving on.

    Feel free to list the "hypocrisies and inconsistencies" though. Try to put aside your boemian, blogosphere-esque prose for a moment and get to the point if you can.
  8. ironlurker is offline
    ironlurker's Avatar

    How do Chameleon Circuit?

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arkham
    Posts
    586

    Posted On:
    3/30/2007 7:18pm


     Style: jkd

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    What I'd hope we would encourage is having people actually visit said schools and watching a class. There are a few ratings in there that are pure and obvious garbage.
    I'm open to hear suggestions for dealing with this.
    Forum leaders could nominate members to act as "official" reviewers- the quality of the review of their own school could be a prime qualification. That in itself would guarantee an initial number of reviews. An incentive system could encourage them to do these visits, once they're designated, such as a monthly contest (the gi giveaway seemed to draw a lot of reviews).

    Of course, you'll have a student of said reviewed dojo pop up saying "man, you got it all wrong, you came on the wrong night etc.", to which the reply would be, why didn't you review it yourself? People might bitch and moan, but they bitch and moan anyway, with the exception now that there would be much more tangible data about schools to discuss.
  9. Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD is offline
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

    You are in a lot of trouble.

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,581

    Posted On:
    3/30/2007 7:23pm

    supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    The forum climate was largely influenced by his posting style as a site Admin, because he set an example for everyone else.
    In my opinion, forum degeneration and the gimmick accounts were caused by membership drives, not Ronin's ballsack jokes. If that **** was Ronin's fault, why are the forums even dumber now that he's been gone a while? The people who kicked against that stuff didn't stop kicking because he left, either - they stopped because they retreated into their fortress of graptitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Wow, tinfoil hat much? If I "hop from one thing to the next" it's because I'm not the fucking point of this website. When I participate here it's either in the capacity of a.) someone trying to keep **** running/organized/moving in the right direction, or b.) someone enjoying discussing things like anyone else.
    Actually, my comments were meant to be taken in the context of Manchu's Phrost-centric posts over hat Rudy's bathhouse. My intent was to take a little of the tinfoil at out of 'em. Thought it was clear, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    You were given an opportunity to affect a change, Hughes. You chose to squander it on being cryptic and speaking out the side of your face. Nobody knew where the **** you were coming from, so we just did the digital version of nodding at you and moving on.

    Feel free to list the "hypocrisies and inconsistencies" though. Try to put aside your boemian, blogosphere-esque prose for a moment and get to the point if you can.
    Man, ease up on the bohemian blogosphere stuff, Curly! Sheesh! I'm a dorky working stiff who sits in a cubicle and stares at computers all day, not out there sportin' a beret and drinkin' cappucinos and, um, painting abstract art and... Bohemian? Really? And a ventriloquist too, apparently. Hm.

    Anyway, I didn't and don't want to effect a change. I suggest things sometimes, try to post substantive stuff on occasion, but it's just to gain a little currency so I can continue my dumbass pranks, as well as rub **** in the face of the zillions here too dull to pull off real content.
    Last edited by Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD; 3/30/2007 7:26pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop
  10. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    3/30/2007 7:25pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    The issue is that you can't criticize a group for not behaving according to a particular standard if while you were a part of the group you didn't either.
    This is particularly relevant given that about 4 posts are sitting queued up waiting for approval. Rudy replied to a pm with somethign along the lines of "why do you think this site cares what you think?" My reply was that you can't argue from a position of moral authority without moral integrity.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.