Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 10:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    And no, you kicking my ass would not make you right. But no one would care, least of all me. The only thing I would care about is whether my tae kwon do was good enough to defend myself against you. If it wasn't, me knowing the real history would mean exactly ****.

Due to the confusion caused by all this I'm now looking at the last word in the official name of this subforum and trying to figure out what "standards" refers to, if it's not quality of fighting ability.

People who don't care what you say about history won't attack you for your viewpoint. If someone did kick your ass because you were discussing history, I would think the person who tried to shut you up is not to be trusted. It has absolutely nothing to do with their level of skill. If no one cared whether you were right about the history, you wouldn't have been attacked in the first place. They are trying to hide something.

Deception points to character. If a person is so vested in a false history like in JohnnyCaches's example would actually try to shut you up by attacking you when you were sharing knowledge you had, my first reaction would be to question what else is that person trying to hide. Are they ripping people off with unscrupulous business practices? Regardless of their own individual skill, are they teaching something false/incorrect/watered down?

Where there is smoke, there may be fire.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 10:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know what the "martial steak" is? The analogy used by the site's creator and owner?

Yes, I do. I would have moved his post too if he brought it up in this context and made a bad pun about it being overdone.

MaverickZ, I know you can be somewhat amusing and make a good point. You did so right here in this thread once already. That one post wasn't any good. Let it go already.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 3/13/2007 10:41pm at .

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    ATTN TOM KAGAN

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I'm going to this person to learn character, then yes. You are right. But I'm going to this person to see if they know how to fight. And in the case of a person running a school, if they kick my ass then they clearly have something to teach me.

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 10:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I'm going to this person to learn character, then yes. You are right. But I'm going to this person to see if they know how to fight. And in the case of a person running a school, if they kick my ass then they clearly have something to teach me.
    Only if he didn't care about the history, I could agree. But, if that were the case, he wouldn't have attacked you.

If he is trying to hide something such as a falsified history, he has already proven he cannot be trusted. He may be able to beat you. He may have something to take from you instead of something to teach you.

ATTN TOM KAGAN

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 11:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We'll have to continue this later, it's bed time.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 11:25pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad someone noticed, I was almost disappointed. But really, that's the nom de jeu around here. I was just trying to fit in.

And no, you kicking my ass would not make you right. But no one would care, least of all me. The only thing I would care about is whether my tae kwon do was good enough to defend myself against you. If it wasn't, me knowing the real history would mean exactly ****.

Due to the confusion caused by all this I'm now looking at the last word in the official name of this subforum and trying to figure out what "standards" refers to, if it's not quality of fighting ability.
    Why are you turning cromag over this?

Look - fighting ability matters. Standards matter. But fighting ability has little to do with ability to evaluate fighting ability. You need a base of knowledge in something to speak to points about it, but you don't HAVE to be good at it yourself.

You started one argument - do you need to know how to fight to critique fighters - and now you're trying to mutate it to "do you need to know how to fight to run a school" and/or "do we evaluate people's fighting ability"

Stop being thick-headed about it.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 11:51pm

Style: judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that Bullshido need daily updated articles ( like T-nation) about ma , mma fights , training etc etc

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 5:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Why are you turning cromag over this?

Look - fighting ability matters. Standards matter. But fighting ability has little to do with ability to evaluate fighting ability. You need a base of knowledge in something to speak to points about it, but you don't HAVE to be good at it yourself.

You started one argument - do you need to know how to fight to critique fighters - and now you're trying to mutate it to "do you need to know how to fight to run a school" and/or "do we evaluate people's fighting ability"

Stop being thick-headed about it.
    Well, my question to that would be, where do you draw the line? Qualifications matter. How much qualification in a fighting art do you need before you can critique someone's ability?

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 7:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Standards could include insuring the accurate representation of an art - ie, not representing kiddie TKD as a "combat tested self defense art." Standards could also include the accurate representation of a person as an instructor - if he's claiming military experience with multiple hand-to-hand kills, that might influence someone to learn his system of kiddie TKD.

Sports announcers critique people's performance all the time, right? Most sports announcers have some experience in the sport, but their 'book' knowledge probably outstrips their practical knowledge - most probably couldn't actually get out there and hang with the professionals anymore (with a few exceptions). How is this any different?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    3/14/2007 5:03pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much qualification in a fighting art do you need before you can critique someone's ability?
    Probably an equivalent qualification that music and/or movie critics need to offer their views.
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202627282930 31323334 ... LastLast