223596 Bullies, 4188 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 6:36pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well blatant style bashing is limited to YMAS for the most part now. And YMAS intentionally has a high signal-to-noise ratio. It's the site's "Locker Room".

Now, things will be lampooned here, because Bullshido.NET is primarily a comedy and entertainment website. We just happen to host the forums here too for technical reasons.

So "lol, krotty" jokes are par for the course here because it's all about knocking everyone down a few pegs and letting people laugh at themselves. If they can't take a joke, **** 'em.

But none of that kind of posting should be in the MABS forum. It's for legitimate and well reasoned, not blanket, criticism.

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Repetition is Bullshido's main enemy. Dunno how to fix it.

Sometimes it's some disgruntled non-sparrer coming in to rehash the why-their-style-shouldn't-be-mocked arguments.

Sometimes it's a recent convert to BJJ (often who's come from some flakey **** like the Bujinkan) going apeshit and preaching the gospel according to Thornton about some style they've never practiced using almost word for word arguments we've heard before.

Dunno what to do about it, but repetition is Bullshido's greatest enemy now it has so many members. It's not necessarily a detraction from the mission, but it is fucking boring to read.
    Well the best way to deal with it is to utilize Bullshido.ORG in the coming months and list everything we've learned over the past 5 years so as to avoid rehashing old topics unless there's new information.

But the other way we've dealt with it is to let casual posting, ranting, and other sorts of threads have a home in YMAS while the folks who actually want to keep moving forward work together in MABS.

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 6:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So to reiterate:

Bullshido.com: Consumer Information and Investigation results.

Bullshido.net: Humor, member reviews, videos, and discussion.

Bullshido.org: The bs-free encyclopedia of the Martial Arts and knowledgebase for everything we've learned over the years.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been lurking on that thread on the new site bashing Bullshido. For the most part its just people who are as closed minded as they claim Bullshido is.

However, they do raise some interesting points.

1. Some people on Bullshido seem to be protected from retributon for their trolling ways against the noobs, and any one else, not in the "loop". This perpetuates the myth that Bullshido is an eliteist group who goes after other non-like minded Martial Arts Practitioners.

2. Some arts are epoused above all others no matter who the practitioner in question is. If they do "X" MA then the are still slammed. This also ads to the myth, of Bullshido being biased.

3. Many of the Martial Arts that are regularly bashed (TKD/Aikido/KF, etc.) are also sponsors/advertisers on the site. Why is that? How can we have TKD sucks month and then have three ads at the top pf the page for TKD schools. ( I understand that these MA's are bashed, not for their "art" but for their bullshit McDojo ways and unrealistic training, but its hard for noobs to understand this)

While much of this doesnt transpire on MABS, the overall abuse gives people the impression that MABS is just the same as the other forums.

We must all admit that some of the staff/mods are guilty of this. I am guilty of this myself, but I dont have staff/moderator next to my name. Again, it adds to the myth/ appearance of truth of the accusations against Bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 6:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think if people really want to raise the concentration of quality discussion, they need to let threads die. If I start up a thread and ask "what's a good stand up style?", rather than have 40 people say "search function noob...", let whoever gets there first rip them for not lurking/searching or posting in the wrong thread, then everyone else further show your contempt by not posting the exact same thing, it just cloggs up the New Post list.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 6:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIME.

Lets argue! Begin.

1) I hate the lack of actual training groups starting from Bullshido. Throwdowns as great and all, but i can never make them. I wish there would be more weekly things i could EASILY find time for, and that were more of a "offline" community between us, since we have the ability to do a LOT more then just punk bul-artists all over the internet.

2) Make a Bullshido "Seal of Approval" for GOOD schools that they could hang in the window and that could be used as some kind of industry standard. If Bullshido keeps going the way its going, it will be an industry standard in a few years or already could be considered one in certain circles.

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    I have been lurking on that thread on the new site bashing Bullshido. For the most part its just people who are as closed minded as they claim Bullshido is.

However, they do raise some interesting points.

1. Some people on Bullshido seem to be protected from retributon for their trolling ways against the noobs, and any one else, not in the "loop". This perpetuates the myth that Bullshido is an eliteist group who goes after other non-like minded Martial Arts Practitioners.
    This is 100% a meritocracy. The more you participate and contribute quality material, the more leeway you get when dealing with other forum members, especially in conflicts.

2. Some arts are epoused above all others no matter who the practitioner in question is. If they do "X" MA then the are still slammed. This also ads to the myth, of Bullshido being biased.
    Individual > Training Method > Style.

If you're an argumentative jackass who avoids sparring and does Aikido, then you're fair game, within the guidelines of wherever you're interacting here.

3. Many of the Martial Arts that are regularly bashed (TKD/Aikido/KF, etc.) are also sponsors/advertisers on the site. Why is that? How can we have TKD sucks month and then have three ads at the top pf the page for TKD schools. ( I understand that these MA's are bashed, not for their "art" but for their bullshit McDojo ways and unrealistic training, but its hard for noobs to understand this)
    That's been addressed a dozen times. 90% of the advertising here is contextual, based on keywords on the page. There aren't enough hours in the day to block every single ad that doesn't correspond to our ideology, nor would we want to shelter people from different ideas.

While much of this doesnt transpire on MABS, the overall abuse gives people the impression that MABS is just the same as the other forums.

We must all admit that some of the staff/mods are guilty of this. I am guilty of this myself, but I dont have staff/moderator next to my name. Again, it adds to the myth/ appearance of truth of the accusations against Bullshido.
    1. This is a full contact website.
    2. The forums are not the primary purpose of this website, not even secondary.
    3. There are no rules or guidelines stating that people have to treat everyone equally. This isn't kindergarten, life isn't supposed to be fair, and you're responsible for your own interactions here.
    4. If it is determined that someone is an unproductive, disruptive, generally annoying member of the community and beyond all hope of saving (mainly just posting bullshit or creating drama for their own gratification) then they deserve to get screwed with just as much as they've screwed with the community and wasted our time, bandwidth, and brain cells. Generally we'll ban folks just because we don't have the time to deal with them, but in extraordinary circumstances, yes, people will get fucked with if they've made it evident that they have no intention of being a productive part of this community.
    ESPECIALLY those who demonstrate that they're unable to handle disagreement without taking things personally, are neurotic about getting in the last word, or other such retarded behavior.

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 7:04pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    We created this in part, to rectify that problem. Just need to get people used to using it.
    That's a fantastic, fantastic idea.

It would also be nice if there was a way to find out, for example, if Asia and JFS ever fought, and was there a video, without having to look through 1500 posts. Like if there was a short summary of the mega-threads, for example.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Some people on Bullshido seem to be protected from retributon for their trolling ways against the noobs, and any one else, not in the "loop". This perpetuates the myth that Bullshido is an eliteist group who goes after other non-like minded Martial Arts Practitioners
    There is an elite group on this site and if you haven't yet figured out who they are after all this time then what else can I say.They're called amateur fighters.

If 10% of any given style is is good.That still does not give credence to the other 90%.Many members who continualy bash other styles were long time members of said style.You can't blame them for holding the same opinion they had when they left.

That's part of the google system.I can't explain how it works.
    We must all admit that some of the staff/mods are guilty of this. I am guilty of this myself, but I dont have staff/moderator next to my name. Again, it adds to the myth/ appearance of truth of the accusations against Bullshido.[/QUOTE]

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    Maybe its time to pull in a few sails then.

To use a style-bashing analogy; -ing --un tried to become everything to everybody, ultimately drifted from its original intent, lost its prestige, and became a MA joke.
    We're not trying to be everything to everyone though, we're just applying focus to the things that we've always been.

Bullshido's original intent is fantastic, but is has gone "off message" in trying to be everything to everybody. It could just deteriorate into a completely goofball site.
    Bullshido.NET is a goofball site. It's always had a humor component mixed in with its mission. We're just splitting the two so that there's a clear distinction between our serious work, and the fun stuff.

Hell, this was the first article ever posted on the site:

http://www.bullshido.com/fatandfurious.html

Are you willing to accept less web traffic coming to Bullshido if it means more effectively addressing its stated mission? Its sort of like the question thrown at McDojo owners here; are you willing to provide better training if it means you will have few students?
    This website is for Martial Artists. You're espousing we become a club for like-minded thinkers and that's precisely what I want to avoid happening.
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast