Page 2 of 11 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    177
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA-JESUS CHAN
    Why is it that if you train in anything you're automatically an "MMA fighter." Really what the **** does that mean anyway? In the 80's if you trained in anything whether be it boxing, kickboxing, judo, etc. you were a karate guy. 90's was kung fu guy. Now it's "MMA fighter." I take offense to someone calling me an MMA fighter. I don't think they even know what MMA stands for. And I really just hate acronyms too. Am I the only one annoyed by this?
    You loathe acronyms yet have TKD in your style field instead of typing TaeKwonDo? :D Hehe.

    People that are not involved in any martial art cannot be expected to undestand the differene between a right hook and a chi blast :) , I for one dont even talk about training with people I dont know well...
    reallife story:

    Guy: What do you train in?
    Me: Kickboxing.
    Guy: Ki - bo - xing? Is that something Chinese?

    I cried...

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    362
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, you see posers even in MMA gyms. Those guys that have 2 lessons under their belt, and for the third lesson wear sprawl shorts or Windy thai shorts, a gracie barra rash guard, wrestling shoes, Windy Thai gloves and Quano MMA gloves.
    How does purchasing equipment make one a poser? do you train in the nude or something?

  3. #13
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBullshid0zer
    You loathe acronyms yet have TKD in your style field instead of typing TaeKwonDo? :D Hehe.

    People that are not involved in any martial art cannot be expected to undestand the differene between a right hook and a chi blast :) , I for one dont even talk about training with people I dont know well...
    reallife story:

    Guy: What do you train in?
    Me: Kickboxing.
    Guy: Ki - bo - xing? Is that something Chinese?

    I cried...
    What I hate is when I tell people I'm a kickboxer and people will respond "oh yeah, my wife does kickboxing".
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  4. #14
    King Sleepless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cuba
    Posts
    10,058
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormoran
    How does purchasing equipment make one a poser? do you train in the nude or something?

    LOL. You missed it.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lisbon-Portugal
    Posts
    856
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    What I hate is when I tell people I'm a kickboxer and people will respond "oh yeah, my wife does kickboxing".
    Try saying bjj and have people looking at you going like "what"? Then trying to pull a visualization on them by asking if they ever saw mma or "vale tudo"...not the same of course, but some of the techniques they pull on the ground are the same.
    "So that means you punch and soccer kick people around, right? Too brutal!"
    "NOOOO, NOT THE SAME! You wear gi's and you fight on the ground...most of the times!"

    Then you give up and just ask..."do you know judo? It's a brazilian distant cousin"

    My post is totally retarted and filled with sillyness but try talking about martial asrts with regular joes.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,228
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dumbass:"You train in something right?"
    me:"Yeah, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu"
    d "Brazilian what? Brazil has martial arts?"
    m "Um. Yeah."
    d "So do you like do that 'kiaaa' kicks and punches?"
    m "NO, that's karate or taekwondo or stupid **** like that" (I really say this)
    d "well what do you do then?"
    m "*sigh* well.. you know the UFC, Pride, stuff like that?"
    d "You're a cage fighter? *snicker*"
    m "No, dumbass, I train in the grappling part of those fights - armbars, takedowns, stuff like that."
    d "You do that gay grappling ****?"
    m *DLT to mounted triangle*

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,824
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation
    dumbass:"You train in something right?"
    me:"Yeah, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu"
    d "Brazilian what? Brazil has martial arts?"
    m "Um. Yeah."
    d "So do you like do that 'kiaaa' kicks and punches?"
    m "NO, that's karate or taekwondo or stupid **** like that" (I really say this)
    d "well what do you do then?"
    m "*sigh* well.. you know the UFC, Pride, stuff like that?"
    d "You're a cage fighter? *snicker*"
    m "No, dumbass, I train in the grappling part of those fights - armbars, takedowns, stuff like that."
    d "You do that gay grappling ****?"
    m *DLT to mounted triangle*
    I feel for you man.

  8. #18
    blindfury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    204
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get " Dude, you can do all those break dancing moves and kicks and stuff?"

    " No, that is capoiera"

    and then the rest of that conversation

  9. #19
    Emevas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormoran
    How does purchasing equipment make one a poser? do you train in the nude or something?
    There's a difference between "purchasing equipment", and purchasing the entire section of "From TUF 5" off of combat sports when you don't even know how to stand properly.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

  10. #20
    Liffguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    564
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just say I'm a wrestler. Not strictly accurate but its close enough and a term that most people are familiiar with. Unfortunately, sometimes I have to clarify that no, I don't mean WWE.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Page 2 of 11 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO