Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 6:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu (GI, No Gi)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Hi. Who did the purples receive their rank from, and in what art specifically? What is their grappling tournament experience? I would not lose any sleep over the class format, for what it is worth.
    Thanks for your insights guys, it was very informative....As for those questions, there is a problem. My japanese is at an about intermediate level I would say....I asked them this once a while back (back when it was even worse) and they told me but I didn't really understand due to my limited vocab. I don't want to ask them the same thing over and over, so I will have to ask the other students people if they know...

I just know that one guy is a 3rd Degree BB in Karate and won one national tournament in Tokyo, and lost his second by KO...The JJ part i didn't understand.
    Last edited by sharpacid; 3/05/2007 6:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 6:41am

Style: Sub Westling, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds good to me, some people dig formal training situations, some do better in more "open mat" type situations. If you are happy trainign where you are and you can school any newb that turns up then dont sweat it. Keep training and maybe take the occasional private lesson with a BJJ blackbelt and youll be golden.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 3/07/2007 6:47pm at .
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 4:53pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i didnt read the whole thread but i disagree with the people saying "seek REAL training"

i think this place sounds awesome.

but if you want to get graded and do competition, i would seek out a legit club then

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2007 9:24am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by weechey

The school I train at is run by a Phil Migliarese BB, and we have 3 browns, probably a dozen purples, about that or more blues and a bunch of white belts (many of whom just recently joined - woohoo! fodder for me to practice!) Our school has been around since 1994, though, so the depth has been built in over the years. So, if you have access to a school that offers that kind of depth or more, then I would say go there, but I think what you're doing now is pretty good.
    Oh snap, Weechey, where in NY do you train? Is it in Thornwood under Steve Kardian?

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 1:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sharpacid, I'll be in Oki on Monday-let's get in touch. I would love to check out the club. I am a crappy blue belt with an OK no gi game.

Posted On:
    3/11/2007 8:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpacid
    Thanks for your insights guys, it was very informative....As for those questions, there is a problem. My japanese is at an about intermediate level I would say....I asked them this once a while back (back when it was even worse) and they told me but I didn't really understand due to my limited vocab. I don't want to ask them the same thing over and over, so I will have to ask the other students people if they know...

I just know that one guy is a 3rd Degree BB in Karate and won one national tournament in Tokyo, and lost his second by KO...The JJ part i didn't understand.
    I've been in classes under a certified purple, and also trained with certified black belts. I would say that your class structure is a great drop-in type of environment for sparring.

However, the level of detail and insight you get from a black belt is quite a bit better. You can learn basic techniques, and then wonder why they don't quite work against pressure, against larger people, against strong wrestlers. Or you can learn from a certified black belt and watch them handle larger people, strong wrestlers and aggressive pressure, and have him teach and show you why in detail. That's far better.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 3:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu (GI, No Gi)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by firecon
    Sharpacid, I'll be in Oki on Monday-let's get in touch. I would love to check out the club. I am a crappy blue belt with an OK no gi game.
    Sure man, are you going to be near Naha? (southern Okinawa?)
    My email is sharpacid@gmail.com

The JJ club (with JJgi) meets twice a week, Monday and Fri.
    The the MMA type club with no JJgi, I beleive is 5 days a week and I can tell you about it as well. Talk to you later!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123