Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 4:25pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpacid
    Thanks for your reply weechy. Yeah the problem is not the amount and the variety of students I can roll with (there are quite a few of various skill levels), but more or less that there is no cirriculum at all. This is why I would like to know what kind of a cirriculum exists in a structured school.
    I can only speak to my school...we start off with some basic self defense to warm up (5 - 10 minutes), and then move to ground techniques (for the most part...occasionally we work on throws, etc). A typical class will have a theme - i.e. closed guard sweeps, set ups, then submissions, or side mount escapes to sweeps to submissions. During this time we may go over 3 - 4 techniques, but all with the common theme. We do that for about 30 - 40 minutes. Then we drill, or we go right to rolling. When we roll, we usually try to work stuff we did in class.

I've heard other schools do more drilling, or more conditioning, but from what I've seen, all will cover 3 - 6 related techniques, and all will have a period of open rolling where the techniques are attempted.

Over the course of a few months, you start to get the basics - passing guard, elbow knee escape, upa, half guard, changing positions, sweeps, and oh yes, submissions.

How many people show up at your club, and what is the actual skill level, and how many at each skill level? This will help to inform me more on whether or not the club you have is useful.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 4:47pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your place sounds good to me, but I'm not a good grappler. I don't see how getting short lessons from people who have verified skill followed by rolling with people who have verified skill is that different from a class with more technique and less sparring, but whatever.

Try attending classes as well as this place, because the club sounds like a really useful and fun resource if you're serious about training.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 9:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu (GI, No Gi)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by weechey
    How many people show up at your club, and what is the actual skill level, and how many at each skill level? This will help to inform me more on whether or not the club you have is useful.
    That actually sounds very similar. We have two purple belts with about 7 years of experience apiece. One is the tournament champ in JJ in Okinawa prefecture, and other Yoshimura-san, is the second strongest, with a NATIONAL karate championship win under his belt. So basically one of those guys (or both) comes every time and he is the "class leader". I would say 8-9 people come every time on average. Most I've seen was 12, least I've seen was 3 (besides me). You do not see the same people every time, I would say there is a total pool of 25 people. Most are white belts (two blue belts), but have a min of a year of experience. Most people there have been rolling for 1-3 years at the least.

So what happens is the senior student makes us practice techniques with a theme for that day....like sweeps from open guard, guard passing from closed guard, front chokes, etc. We practice these in pairs and then move on to the next technique. After about 40 mins of these we play a limited sparring game with these techniques only. One person starts bottom and can only sweep or submit the top man. The top man has to pass the guard to win. So we do this for maybe 20 mins, brining the total practice time to about an hour.

For the next hour we go freestyle sparring, whoever is free to challenge whoever to whatever. Or you can do limited sparring if you want. After an hour of this most people leave, but some stay and practice longer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 9:39pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If youve got two purple belts guiding the class, i think you should be fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 11:04pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That actually sounds very similar. We have two purple belts with about 7 years of experience apiece. One is the tournament champ in JJ in Okinawa prefecture, and other Yoshimura-san, is the second strongest, with a NATIONAL karate championship win under his belt. So basically one of those guys (or both) comes every time and he is the "class leader". I would say 8-9 people come every time on average. Most I've seen was 12, least I've seen was 3 (besides me). You do not see the same people every time, I would say there is a total pool of 25 people. Most are white belts (two blue belts), but have a min of a year of experience. Most people there have been rolling for 1-3 years at the least.

So what happens is the senior student makes us practice techniques with a theme for that day....like sweeps from open guard, guard passing from closed guard, front chokes, etc. We practice these in pairs and then move on to the next technique. After about 40 mins of these we play a limited sparring game with these techniques only. One person starts bottom and can only sweep or submit the top man. The top man has to pass the guard to win. So we do this for maybe 20 mins, brining the total practice time to about an hour.

For the next hour we go freestyle sparring, whoever is free to challenge whoever to whatever. Or you can do limited sparring if you want. After an hour of this most people leave, but some stay and practice longer.
    Actually, your club sounds a lot more structured than I thought. Two purples, two blues - frankly, there are some places here in the states that don't have that, and they offer formal instruction. Where do these purples train? Do you have access to their schools? Either way it sounds like you have a good thing going :-)

The school I train at is run by a Phil Migliarese BB, and we have 3 browns, probably a dozen purples, about that or more blues and a bunch of white belts (many of whom just recently joined - woohoo! fodder for me to practice!) Our school has been around since 1994, though, so the depth has been built in over the years. So, if you have access to a school that offers that kind of depth or more, then I would say go there, but I think what you're doing now is pretty good.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 11:35pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm slow

Speaking as a purple belt, nothing compares to a legitimate BJJ blackbelt's oversight and instruction. Their insight into BJJ is generally an order of magnitude deeper than your average purple belt. That said, purple belts are considered the minimum rank to properly teach for a reason.

You train with people that are nationally competent in the birthplace of Karate and Judo. You are doing just fine.

edit: The assumption here is that when you declared your informal instructors were 'purple belts' is that you meant BJJ purple belts under a credited instructor.
    Last edited by jnp; 3/02/2007 11:38pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 2:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Speaking as a purple belt, nothing compares to a legitimate BJJ blackbelt's oversight and instruction. Their insight into BJJ is generally an order of magnitude deeper than your average purple belt. That said, purple belts are considered the minimum rank to properly teach for a reason.
    I would like to ask at what rank you can rank/grade others as i have just started bjj under a gracie family purple belt and was just wondering if he could grade?

Posted On:
    3/03/2007 4:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I highly doubt it. He might be able to give stripes, but that'd be about it. Most likely, you're going to have to wait for a seminar from whatever black belt he's associated with to get graded.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 3:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    I highly doubt it. He might be able to give stripes, but that'd be about it. Most likely, you're going to have to wait for a seminar from whatever black belt he's associated with to get graded.
    Thanks for the reply, i kind of thought so but diddnt really want to ask him :icon_mrgr

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi. Who did the purples receive their rank from, and in what art specifically? What is their grappling tournament experience? I would not lose any sleep over the class format, for what it is worth.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast