Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 2:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

1911 .45 help

I just bought a RIA .45 and now need to clean it . The problem is that I have no idea how to. The instructions that come with the gun are vague for a first timer and i'm lacking the confidence to just tear into it. I've checked a few of the 1911 forums and have found some better instructions, but i don't want to get into it and have to take a bag of parts to a gunsmith. Am i making too much of this, do i need to stop being a nancy and just do it or should I pony up the 30 bucks to let a gunsmith do it? Any help is appreciated on this one.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For God's sake don't pay someone to take it apart for cleaning.

http://www.1911forum.com/links.shtml
    Last edited by Nid; 3/01/2007 3:32pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 3:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alrighty...

See that little circular thing? Press that down and turn the bushing (the thing it's held against) to the side. Be careful. It's spring loaded and could hurt your eye or ding the ceiling.

Ah-so...if you turn it like this, the bushing won't come out. That's fine.

Just turn it the other way:

At which point you can take out the spring, bushing, and spring retainer (the cylindrical thing you first pressed down)

The push the slide back til you see that little divet in the slide match up with the grippy part of the slide release:

Push out the slide release from the opposite side from where it protrudes:

Remove the slide and it's innards to the front:

Remove the guide rod out the back:

Remove the barrel out the front, and yer done for a basic strip for a routine post-shoot cleaning:
    Last edited by Nid; 3/01/2007 3:39pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 3:38pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relax, it's not that big of a deal once you understand what's going on. A 1911 filed strip really doesn't involve that many parts.

First read you instructions...

Next watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOWuJPFIDgw

or watch this video, it uses your RIA but is very dark/hard to see:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBI5C3DaCf8

See, easy as cake. Watch a few times if you need and then ask any questions you have here.

Some points:

**Make sure the gun is unloaded, and then do it again.
    **Careful with the recoil spring. It's under pressure so point it in a safe direction while removing.
    **Use the oil your user guide suggests or, if none specified, my favorite "Tetra Gun Grease".
    **Make sure the slide stop shaft goes through the hole in the barrel link when reassembling.

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it was messy and took me a long time but I managed to do it. Didn't even have a problem with getting the slide release back in. Kein and Yodel you two were a god send and the help you gave me was invaluable. Thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 3:37pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pakuakid
    Well it was messy and took me a long time but I managed to do it. Didn't even have a problem with getting the slide release back in. Kein and Yodel you two were a god send and the help you gave me was invaluable. Thank you.
    I use the little cardboard box from a case of Wal-Mart's bottled water as my pistol cleaning tray. It catches any dropped springs/parts, soaks up any spills and can be thrown away when it becomes too dirty.

You'll get quicker and more comfortable with the cleaning after a few more field strips, may even grow to like it. I'm at the point, now, that I'll strip and clean my firearms every month, whether I've shot them or not.

When you have a chance, please write us up a range report. The RIAs have become rather popular and I would love to hear how yours is running for you. If you are like most 1911 owners, the clock has already stated ticking until your NEXT 1911 purchase. Welcome to the club.

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 3:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right on about the clock ticking,I'm already saving for another one. I think I'm going to go for a Kimber next time around.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 7:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have to *save* for something, hold out for something semi-custom at least. I.e. Rock River Arms, or Les Baer.