Posted On:
    2/26/2007 3:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: last done, tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

[request] ; i search kenjutsu instructionnals

Hi there.

I've been arround for a while now but i think its my first or second tread start. I used the search button for help but could'nt find out so i ask :

I'm searching for some kenjutsu/ katana related techniques and instructionnal for myself. Where i live i cant have any dojo/school of any kind near and i really i am into it.

i search 2 things : the USE of the katana and the MAKING of it...thx

So if you have something to share , please answer here or pm me....

p.s. i prefer videos but pdf/books are ok.

THX.
    Last edited by frozenmoon; 2/26/2007 3:39pm at .

Flyweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this isn't much help, but trying to learn a sword art without an instructor is an exercise in futility.

If there's no one there to tell you when you're doing wrong, you'll just end up learning incorrect techniques and bad habits that you'll spend more time trying to unlearn when you're able to find real instruction.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 4:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by noto
    I know this isn't much help, but trying to learn a sword art without an instructor is an exercise in futility.

If there's no one there to tell you when you're doing wrong, you'll just end up learning incorrect techniques and bad habits that you'll spend more time trying to unlearn when you're able to find real instruction.
    Said like that, its make sens but put you in my position, i'm really interested in this art and nothing near me to leran it. i know i "could" make some mistakes but AT least i could touch it from the tips of my willing fingers ...

i'm still in the search for those info..
    thx again, advise apreciated.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 5:09pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmoon
    Said like that, its make sens but put you in my position, i'm really interested in this art and nothing near me to leran it. i know i "could" make some mistakes but AT least i could touch it from the tips of my willing fingers ...

i'm still in the search for those info..
    thx again, advise apreciated.

You CANNOT learn ANYTHING abot Kenjutsu technique without an instructor.

Saying that http://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Fighti...e=UTF8&s=books

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 6:14pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmoon
    i search 2 things : the USE of the katana and the MAKING of it...thx

So if you have something to share , please answer here or pm me....

p.s. i prefer videos but pdf/books are ok.

THX.
    I can not vouch for how good these videos are, only that they exist:
    http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=454
    http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1276#

Be careful, and good luck in your search.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 1:44pm

Style: Phucking Phrost

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ya'know dude not beat a dead horse here:deadhorse but it's true you really can't learn without someone showing you the Techniques. I myself started in swordsmanship like that, only after much experimentation, research and test-cutting plus alot of helpful advice from my uncle who has experience in martial arts and has working knowledge about katana technique have been able to do what I do

however you are really determined to to do this my friend then the best advice I can give you is this,

get the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, not book about swordsmanship, but it is a book full some extremely helpful advice, and try to add as many books about swordsmanship in general as you can,

but a bit of advice on the grip, with your dominant hand grip near the guard

with you subordinate hand grip near the pommel or the bottom of the hilt

try to leave some space between your hands as this helps with control also one little trick I've been shown by a few kendoka is to somewhat tighten your third finger and pinkie in both hands. what I mean is grip the hilt more tightly with those two fingers then the other ones.

one thing I've noticed is this helps keep your grip pliable and not too tight.

I've heard it compared to like hold a fishing pole, especially on a downward cut.

however how true that is I really can't say since my experience in fishing is very limited.

I should warn you even after a few years of doing this it'll be really hard to say just how well you will be able to fight with a sword. I know another guy, who has piece together sword knowledge and been able to actually have some skill, but mind you he spars on a regular basis with other swordsmen aswell,

so you gonna be in for some seriously hardwork man. trust me dude,

you gonna be frustrated as hell with alot of things

sorry if this long winded, but dude I was in your exact situation, well almost, I had an experience uncle to consult, so hey that **** helped alot

I really hope this helps dude

I really do wish you the best of luck

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 2:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spathophile
    ya'know dude not beat a dead horse here:deadhorse but it's true you really can't learn without someone showing you the Techniques. I myself started in swordsmanship like that, only after much experimentation, research and test-cutting plus alot of helpful advice from my uncle who has experience in martial arts and has working knowledge about katana technique have been able to do what I do

however you are really determined to to do this my friend then the best advice I can give you is this,

get the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, not book about swordsmanship, but it is a book full some extremely helpful advice, and try to add as many books about swordsmanship in general as you can,

but a bit of advice on the grip, with your dominant hand grip near the guard

with you subordinate hand grip near the pommel or the bottom of the hilt

try to leave some space between your hands as this helps with control also one little trick I've been shown by a few kendoka is to somewhat tighten your third finger and pinkie in both hands. what I mean is grip the hilt more tightly with those two fingers then the other ones.

one thing I've noticed is this helps keep your grip pliable and not too tight.

I've heard it compared to like hold a fishing pole, especially on a downward cut.

however how true that is I really can't say since my experience in fishing is very limited.

I should warn you even after a few years of doing this it'll be really hard to say just how well you will be able to fight with a sword. I know another guy, who has piece together sword knowledge and been able to actually have some skill, but mind you he spars on a regular basis with other swordsmen aswell,

so you gonna be in for some seriously hardwork man. trust me dude,

you gonna be frustrated as hell with alot of things

sorry if this long winded, but dude I was in your exact situation, well almost, I had an experience uncle to consult, so hey that **** helped alot

I really hope this helps dude

I really do wish you the best of luck
    thx a lot for advices....
    the "tao of jeet kun do" , i got it a while ago ...i also currently read "sword of life" from munenori and searching "the fives wheels" from musachi.
    My interest in blades was "sleeping" in me since my youth with ninja and samourai movies, i always prefers "ninja game" then cowboy or soldier when we were young. ..Now a old dog ( just got 30 this month ) , i'm tireds of being in the impossibility of live and give "birth" to this passion ...SINCE no freaking schools exist in my town on how blacksmith a blade or weild it, i 've decided to learn it by myself, whilling to let go some truthfull advice of a master/teacher to be able to do it a litle, by myself.

for the grip. a was about in the position you talk about, but exerpt the fingerstightening as i could say ( sorry, not english speaking ) i thighten the first fingers with the thumb and get more and more loose with each other fingers until the small one almost without no force put...a litle like euh ..like some guys grip their ..*eurfg*...thing:5censored...you know ??

thx a lot for advise and dont forget IF you find some instructionnal vids on net or else, please tell...

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 4:46pm

Style: Phucking Phrost

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just to let you know dude, we call Musahi's work, the book of five rings in english

and the english name for Munenori's work is " The life-Preserving Sword," or atleast thats the name of the Translation I have,

as to the grip I've heard about what you said as well, but I've only ever seen the one I've described used. I really don't know if it's a stylistic variant or what, from the test cutting I've done on slabs of meat and pieces of bosom wood it seems like the correct way to do it, I do get considerably deeper cuts then say if I just using some kind of sludge hammer grip., like I've said before I wasn't trained in dojo and hold no official rank, I have mainly come by my knowledge through trial and error and just trade offs of knowledge with other people, so I know a little about a diverse array of subjects. though my knowledge does tend be alittle above that of the lay men in some areas, for instance, dominant blade designs in different cultures and I know enough about Kenjutsu to say that my techniques while not picture perfect are generally correct. Though once again I've seen plenty of stylistic variantrs on certain techniqes as well, and it is true to that footwork can be very different, for instance I remember an old film of an itto-ryu practicioner and a Shinkage ryu practicioner, I remember the footwork of the itto-ryu pupil to be simplistic, while the footwork of the Shinkage ryu tended to be more varied in pattern. I really can't say what the era the film was from. :toothy5: Sorry I just sounded my own horn there for a time.

but seriously man best of luck to you and hope you can I get what you're looking for

and as to vids, check youtube, you might be able find some good ones.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 12:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i found this collection of 10 minutes each that seams good ( if you dotn look at the 4 and 8ways strikes that, IMO take dwn too long to be called "efficient"...
    look at this ( serach the same title , part 1 to 6...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWvhKOjFpyM

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 12:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok ..i find out one "mistake" i made in my process. I just saw a couple of videos on youtube from different "ryu" and it occurs to me that some are more "aikido-relax-sporty" type of thing but i serach more a "war efficient " ...i need to learn the different schools and their application...i'll search over the net and give you what i found , while i do this dont be affraid to drop a line or two to focvus my research...
    a noobs in love
    see ya.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast