Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    iandi, i'd plus rep you if i could in this forum.

i've always maintained that some _ing _un guys could fight (i've seen them fight on the lei tai, along with tai chi guys who can fight) but always wondered why we just attract the "too deadly for the ring" crowd around here.
    WC had an enormous growth in schools attracting people who wanted to do the same MA Bruce Lee had. If that's the reason so many people took it up, there's bound to be more kooks in the ranks.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 5:22pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    This is a gross misrepresenation of what he said:

This is true, it wasn't what blindfury was saying at all. I think any activity that involves learning to move your body in some way will help when learning a martial art if done for years. I was training with a guy that had been doing BJJ for about a month but Kyokushin for a few years and he caught on incredibly fast. I don't think this phenomenon is specific to WC or any other martial art. I really don't think it has to do with individual techniques or principles as much as just becoming coordinated with your whole body. Blindfury may have different views and I would trust his opinion more than mine.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 6:21pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacWombat
    This is true, it wasn't what blindfury was saying at all. I think any activity that involves learning to move your body in some way will help when learning a martial art if done for years. I was training with a guy that had been doing BJJ for about a month but Kyokushin for a few years and he caught on incredibly fast. I don't think this phenomenon is specific to WC or any other martial art. I really don't think it has to do with individual techniques or principles as much as just becoming coordinated with your whole body. Blindfury may have different views and I would trust his opinion more than mine.
    I think I agree with that assessment, although as a disclaimer, it's impossible to pin down cause and effect here. I had faster than average progress when starting BJJ and Judo, and I initially put this down to years of Wing Chun 'sensitivity' training. But on reflection, the advantage I had came down to simply being very aware of how different parts of my body are put together and move together. A lot of Martial Arts could have produced this awareness. So could swimming a lot.
    (This in itself is not a criticism of Wing Chun).

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That mirrors my experiences (except insert a different crap art instead of WC).
    I initially also attributed it to my years of experience but it was mainly body awareness and athleticism.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    3/08/2007 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    A practitioner of -ing -un who has a firm grasp on reality? You're ruining my notion of -ing -un stereotypes.

Welcome to the boards.

edit: Damn, this isn't in Newbietown. I wouldn't have made this kind of post in the CMA forum if I had realized that.
    Seconded
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/27/2007 7:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread split.

Here is the new thread:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54178